Why make a bunch of treats when making one is just as easy? Within a few short minutes, you can have your own personal rice krispie treat in a mug. Gooey, sweet, and the perfect treat or late night snack.
Whether you're looking to cure a sugar craving or simply trying to use the odd amount of cereal at the bottom of the bag, this mug rice krispie treat is perfect for you.
Made in just seconds, this recipe is simple enough to try again and again. Once you try microwave rice krispie treats in a mug, you may never snack the same way again. Ooey gooey marshmallows, buttery cereal, and the ability to eat it with a fork? The whole experience is phenomenal.
For more rice krispie recipes, be sure to check out our Oreo Rice Krispie Treats, Rainbow Rice Krispie Treats, Rice Krispie Treats with Marshmallow Fluff, and Red Velvet Rice Krispie Treats.
Why This Recipe Works
- It's fast. Within seconds flat, your rice krispie is finished cooking. How long you wait to eat it is up to you, but this recipe is incredibly quick, especially when compared to making these treats in larger quantities using the traditional method.
- Minimal ingredients are needed. You'll need barely a handful of cereal or marshmallows for this recipe. This is significantly less than if you were to make a huge batch, and it's perfect for using up smaller amounts that may be in the pantry.
- Minimal dirty dishes are created. All you need is a fork and a mug for this recipe. No baking dishes, large pots, wooden spoons, etc. This means that you can prepare your recipe, enjoy it, and enjoy not having to spend more time cleaning up than you do cooking.
Butter- You will need a little bit of butter for this recipe. The butter will help to melt the marshmallows, keep the treats soft and add flavor to them as well. Not only that, but it helps to grease the mug, so the cleanup is much easier.
Cereal- Use some rice crispy cereal for these treats. You can switch out the cereal for different varieties if desired.
Marshmallows- Using mini marshmallows is recommended as they will melt more easily and uniformly.
For specific quantities, see the recipe card below.
🍽 Equipment Needed
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
Check out how to make Rice Krispie Treat in a Mug with these simple step-by-step instructions:
Measure out the ingredients and keep them close by as this recipe will progress quickly.
Add your butter to a 16 ounce microwave safe mug.
Heat in the microwave for 10 seconds or until fully melted.
Add in the mini marshmallows. You do not need to stir.
Heat for 30 seconds.
Add in the cereal.
Stir together to combine.
You can choose to eat the treats right now, or you can wait. Waiting 1-2 minutes will soften the cereal and make the treat taste more like the traditional rice krispie treats you know and love.
Waiting 5 minutes before eating will allow the krispie treat to cool down enough that you can form the mixture into an actual rice krispie square if that's what you'd prefer.
Cereal. Feel free to use any brand of cereal or cereal variety. Using fruity pebbles instead of rice krispies can give a nice fruity flavor, whereas cinnamon toast crunch can add a nice sweet and spice flavor.
🍴 Recipe Tips
Try not to overcook or over stir your treats. Microwaves all heat a little differently, and some may run hotter than others. For this, you'll want to test this recipe a time or two before getting the timing perfect. You want the butter just melted and the marshmallows to be just softened and starting to dissolve.
Marshmallows will puff up when microwaved, and if overcooked, when you stir them around, and they cool, they'll harden.
This mug treat is meant to be eaten right away, but if desired, you can make it and save it for later.
You can store it in an airtight container or zipper-topped baggie for up to a week or two at room temperature. I recommend eating them sooner rather than later as they'll taste best when fresh.
To freeze your treats, place them in an airtight container or individually wrap serving-sized squares in plastic wrap before placing them in a freezer-safe container. Then freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature before eating.
Yes, absolutely! Simply use any margarine instead of butter and follow the recipe as requested. The end result should be a soft texture that tastes fabulous. Another great alternative is to use coconut oil instead of butter, but it will leave a coconut flavor behind.
If you overcook, over-stir, or overheat your marshmallows and butter, then you can easily end up with hard cereal treats.
Yes, you could use salted butter or unsalted depending on your preference. While unsalted butter may keep the flavors true, a little salt from salted butter could really make the flavors pop and add a nice contrast.
More great snack and treat recipes to check out soon
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- Dairy Free Rice Krispie Treats
- Fruity Pebbles Treats
- Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
Rice Krispie Treat in a Mug
- ½ Tablespoon Butter ($0.05)
- ½ cup Crispy Rice cereal ($0.09)
- ½ cup Mini marshmallows ($0.15)
- Measure out the ingredients and keep them close by as this recipe will progress quickly.
- Add your butter to a 16 ounce microwave safe mug.
- Heat in the microwave for 10 seconds or until fully melted.
- Add in the mini marshmallows. You do not need to stir.
- Heat for 30 seconds.
- Add in the cereal.
- Stir together to combine.
- You can choose to eat the treats right now, or you can wait. Waiting 1-2 minutes will soften the cereal and make the treat taste more like the traditional rice krispie treats you know and love.
- Waiting 5 minutes before eating will allow the krispie treat to cool down enough that you can form the mixture into an actual rice krispie square if that's what you'd prefer.
Leave a Reply