You are going to love these peanut butter butterscotch Rice Krispie treats! With this simple microwave scotcheroos recipe you can cut down on the wait and effort to devote more time to more important things-like eating!
Recipe for scotcheroos
I am a huge fan of Rice Krispie scotcheroos, but waiting for the stove burners to heat up and being careful not to let the mixture boil or burn can be a nightmare with kids running around.
With this easy scotcheroo recipe, I can get a perfectly made batch of scotcheroo bars every time. The minimal effort I get to apply to making it is just an added bonus!
Ingredients for scotcheroos
- Light corn syrup
- Creamy peanut butter
- Crispy rice cereal (like Rice Krispies)
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Butterscotch chips
What you’ll need to make this scotcheroos bars recipe
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
- Large microwave safe bowl
- Measuring cups
- 9×13 inch baking dish
- Large spoon
- Small microwave safe bowl
Tips for making easy scotcheroos
With every microwave running at a different wattage, it’s important to know your appliance and keep a watchful eye on everything. While one microwave might be able to complete this much faster than some, some people may even need to add time to the recipe card below.
The important thing to note is that you do not want to bring the mix to a boil (yes, the microwave can boil things) because then the mix will be over cooked and the results won’t be nearly as tasty.
Scotcheroos are a midwest thing. With scotcheroos being created in Iowa and having branched out over the years to neighboring states, not everyone has gotten to try (or hear about) this tasty bar dessert.
They’re a mixture of butterscotch, peanut butter, crispy cereal, and chocolate- so you know they’ve got to be good!
You can easily have gluten free scotcheroos by simply opting for a gluten free cereal. Rice Krispies and a few other kinds of cereal have a certified gluten free label on them making it easy to spot the safe options in the grocery store.
Make sure to check labels and avoid cross contamination if you’re remaining gluten free as a result of an allergy.
Absolutely! You can freeze them prior to cutting so that the chocolate hardens faster, and you can freeze them after theyve been cut for a longer storage solution.
I recommend cutting them into desired portion sizes and then wrapping in plastic wrap inside a Ziploc bag as this will help to keep them fresh as long as possible. It’s also easier for grabbing one to toss in a lunchbox here and there.
If you overcook the sugar and corn syrup mixture, by bringing it to a boil, you will cause your scotcheroos to turn out hard. It’s definitely something you want to avoid if you’re looking for tender crispy treats.
With this easy scotcheroos recipe, you are going to love making them in the microwave. This simple recipe is delicious and fun to make!
How to make scotcheroos
Grease a 9×13 baking dish and then set it aside.
In a large microwave safe bowl, combine your corn syrup and sugar.
Microwave on high for 1 minute 30 seconds to 1 minute 45 seconds depending on the strength of your microwave. Be careful not to let the mixture boil.
Mix the sugar and corn syrup with a whisk until the bowl is no longer hot and the sugar looks dissolved.
Stir in the peanut butter until blended.
Add in half of the cereal and mix it together, then add in the rest and mix some more. Don’t be afraid to get your hands in there and mix everything if it’s too thick for your spoon to handle.
Once the mixture has been well blended, press it into the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
In a small microwave safe mixing bowl, add you chocolate chips and butterscotch chips. Microwave on high for 1 minute and 30 seconds, stopping midway to mix.
Stir the chips again until smooth, adding another 30 seconds if needed.
Pour your smooth chocolate mixture over the top of the rice crispys and spread it out to cover the whole top.
Let cool and harden before cutting into squares and serving.
Other easy recipes you’ll love!
- Raspberry Lemon Bundt Cake
- Spider Sandwiches
- Cake Mix Banana Bread
- Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies
- Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Light Corn Syrup
- 1 cup Creamy Peanut Butter
- 6 cups Crispy Rice Cereal (Rice Krispies)
- 1 1/2 cup Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1 1/2 cup Butterscotch Chips
- Grease 9×13 baking dish. Set aside.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, combine corn syrup and sugar. Microwave on high 1 minute 30 seconds to 1 minute 45 seconds. Don't let the mixture boil. Whisk the mix until sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in the peanut butter until blended. Add in half of the cereal and mix it together, then add in the rest and mix some more.
- Press the well blended mix into the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- In a small microwave safe bowl, add your chocolate chips and butterscotch chips. Microwave for 1 minute and 30 seconds, stopping midway to stir.
- Stir the chips again until smooth, adding another 30 seconds if needed.
- Pour smooth chocolate mix over cereal and spread to cover the entire top.
- Let cool and set before cutting and serving.