This chicken divan casserole is one you'll want to repeat often. It's got everything from flavor to textures and is always a huge hit in my own house.
Chicken divan casserole is a great way to stretch this simple dish. One batch makes an entire 9x13 pan that is very filling, although my husband and I often go back for more than our fill because it's too good to stop eating.
This is the best chicken divan recipe. It's so creamy, flavorful and good, it never lasts long enough to have leftovers the following day. From the cheesy sauce to the tender chicken and cooked egg noodles, this dish is one that's hard to beat!
🍯 Why This Recipe Works
- It's easy to make. With just a few steps to follow, this recipe can be in the oven in no time. Made with convenience in mind, you're going to love this comforting casserole.
- It's frugal. Like a lot of casseroles, you'll be happy to know that this one is relatively cheap and affordable to make. Perfect for tight budgets or low cost dinner ideas.
- You can prep it in advance. Prepare and assemble the casserole a day or two in advance and keep it covered in the fridge until ready to bake. Place it on the counter and let it come to room temp as the oven preheats.
Chicken breast- You will need some thawed and diced chicken breasts.
Ritz crackers- These make a delicious buttery topping over the casserole.
Cream of chicken soup- Use a can of cream of chicken soup for a creamy consistency and added flavor.
Egg noodles- These will be the main ingredient in the casserole.
Frozen broccoli- Use some chopped frozen florets. You do not need to thaw them beforehand.
Cheddar cheese- Shredded cheddar cheese will give a nice contrast of flavor.
For specific ingredients and measurements, please see the recipe card below.
Step 1: Boil egg noodles per package directions, drain, and then set aside.
Step 2: Using the pot your noodles were in, cook your chicken breast and onions until the chicken is cooked thoroughly and the onions are soft. Turn off the heat.
Step 3: In a large liquid measuring cup or in a bowl, whisk together the cheese, cream of chicken, milk, and sour cream.
Step 4: Add to chicken and onions. Mix well.
Step 5: Mix together with the cooked egg noodles and broccoli.
Step 6: Mix well.
Step 7: Pour into a greased 9x13 baking dish.
Step 8: In a small bowl crush your Ritz crackers and add in the melted butter. Stir until combined.
Step 9: Sprinkle the cracker crumbs over the casserole.
Step 10: Bake and let cool for 5 minutes in the pan before serving.
Scoop and serve.
🍴 Recipe Tips
Choosing the topping for this easy chicken divan casserole- While you can leave the Ritz cracker topping off of this casserole, I always say it tastes better with than without. A lot of people choose Panko or other breadcrumb style topping but I like how the buttery saltiness of the Ritz crackers blends so well with this dish.
You can also chop the frozen broccoli into smaller bits and pieces or buy the bag where it's already chopped (a big time saver!)
You can get your leftovers to last a few days (about 5) in the fridge if you keep them stored in an airtight container.
Yes. Personally, we love this recipe so much more with egg noodles than with any other type, but you can choose whatever you have on hand.
Absolutely! It's also a huge time saver! Shredded chicken in this recipe tastes great, so go ahead and stash a little aside while you're meal prepping.
Yes, you can. Make it up to a day in advance and keep it covered in the fridge before baking as directed.
❤️ More Delicious Dinner Recipes
If you tried this Chicken Divan Casserole, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and share your feedback in the 📝 comments section below. I would truly appreciate it!
Chicken Divan Casserole
- 1 bag (12 ounce) Egg noodles ($1.78)
- 1 can (10.5 ounce) Cream of chicken soup ($0.58)
- ⅔ cup Sour cream ($0.34)
- 1 bag (12 ounce) Frozen Broccoli Florets ($0.77)
- 1 raw Chicken breast, diced (or one cup shredded) ($1.99)
- ½ cup Yellow or white onion, diced ($0.35)
- ½ cup Milk ($0.08)
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese, shredded ($0.93)
- Salt and pepper to taste ($0.02)
- ½ teaspoon Garlic powder ($0.05)
- ½ teaspoon Onion powder ($0.05)
- 1 sleeve Ritz crackers ($0.59)
- 2 Tablespoons Butter, melted ($0.18)
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- Boil egg noodles per package directions, drain and then set aside
- Using the pot your noodles were in, cook your chicken breast and onions until the chicken is cooked thoroughly and the onions are soft. Turn off the heat.
- Add in your sour cream, cream of chicken, seasonings, milk and cheese. Stir until combined.
- Add in the cooked egg noodles and broccoli. Stir until everything is coated.
- Pour everything into a greased 9x13 baking dish.
- In a small bowl crush your Ritz crackers and mix with the melted butter. Sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes and serve.