Chocolate drizzled popcorn is sweet and savory popcorn covered in two types of chocolate. Perfect for late-night movie snacks and a sweet afternoon treat.
If you love popcorn and you love chocolate, then this recipe is a perfect snack for you. The combination of crunchy, sweet, buttery, and savory all pair so well together.
We love all popcorn around here. From White Chocolate Peppermint Popcorn to Chocolate Peanut Butter Popcorn and the ever classic- Popcorn with Almond Bark. We always have a box of popcorn laying around the house somewhere.
Serve up this popcorn for any occasion, it's sure to be a huge hit no matter what. For more fun popcorn recipes, be sure to check out my Snickerdoodle Popcorn.
🍯 Why This Recipe Works
- It's easy to make. With just a microwave and a few minutes on the clock, you can have this recipe prepped and waiting to be eaten in almost no time at all. Fast microwave recipes like popcorn and Easy Microwave Scotcheroos are what make life a little sweeter.
- It's versatile. You can swap out the chocolate chips for your favorite varieties. White chocolate, dark chocolate, semi-sweet, or even milk chocolate would work great! Maybe even swap out the chocolate for colored wafers as a Unicorn Food Idea To Inspire Your Next Party.
- You can make it in advance. Prep it the same day or up to the day before and enjoy it later. My kids actually love eating this popcorn for days (or until the bag is empty.)
Popcorn- You will need some popped popcorn for this recipe. I like to use butter-flavored microwave popcorn, but you can use pre-popped, plain, or low sodium if desired.
White chocolate- You'll need some white chocolate chips (or almond bark) for this recipe. This will make the popcorn sweet and creamy in taste. If you have white chocolate leftover, wash down your popcorn with a cold Iced White Chocolate Mocha.
Semi-sweet chocolate- Adding in a different chocolate will give us a nicer appearance and help to make the popcorn have a strong contrast in flavors. Feel free to use milk chocolate or dark chocolate instead.
For specific ingredients and measurements, please see the recipe card below.
Popcorn. You can use buttery, unflavored, salty, or kettle popcorn (any popcorn of choice) to get a different flavorful combination depending on what you want.
Chocolate. Swap out the melted chocolate for different flavorful variations. You can use white chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate, milk chocolate, or even dark chocolate and still get delicious results every time.
🔪 Instructions for Chocolate Drizzled Popcorn
Step 1: Lay a piece of wax paper over a baking sheet and set it aside.
Step 2: Pop the popcorn and remove all kernels. Lay the popcorn on the prepared baking sheet when done.
Step 3: Add your semi-sweet chocolate to a microwave safe bowl and heat in 30 second intervals, stirring between each until smooth (about 1 minute).
Step 4: Drizzle over the top of the popcorn, making stripes across the top.
Step 5: Add your white chocolate to a microwave safe bowl and heat in 30 second intervals, stirring between each until smooth (about 1 minute).
Step 6: Drizzle the white chocolate over the top of the popcorn, making stripes across the top.
Step 7: Let rest until the chocolate has set.
Step 8: Break up any large popcorn clumps into smaller pieces.
Serve and enjoy!
🍴 Recipe Tips
If you plan on making more than 1 bag's worth of popcorn, you might want to invest in a larger bowl. One bag of popped popcorn can fill a large mixing bowl pretty well.
Eating it as-is as soon as it's mixed is perfectly fine, but it will be messy. Making it and then giving the chocolate a chance to solidify is a better way to enjoy the popcorn without the sticky mess.
This popcorn is meant to be eaten and enjoyed when fresh as it does not do great after sitting for too long. This is because the melted butter will make the popcorn soggy and reduce its shelf life. I do not recommend storing leftovers for later if at all possible.
💭 Recipe FAQs
You can use any type of popcorn that you want. I recommend the buttery and salty popcorn because it gives a great salty-sweet flavor that can't be beaten. I've used homemade popcorn, kettle version, and even unsalted popcorn before, but the butter ones are where it's at.
After melting down the chocolate, if you find that it is too thick to drizzle, mix in ½ teaspoon of shortening or coconut oil. This will give the chocolate more fat so that it can be thinned down to a drizzling consistency quickly and easily.
Yes, using pre-popped popcorn, like storebought popcorn, is a great way to cut down on the effort and time needed to make this recipe. I like to buy bags of popcorn from my local Dollar Tree when I want a simpler snack.
❤️ More Delicious Popcorn Recipes
If you tried this chocolate drizzled popcorn, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and share your feedback in the 📝 comments section below. I would truly appreciate it!
Chocolate Drizzled Popcorn
- 1 bag Microwave popcorn ($0.51)
- ½ cup White chocolate chips ($0.54)
- ½ cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips ($0.54)
- Lay a piece of wax paper over a baking sheet and set it aside.
- Pop the popcorn and remove all kernels. Lay the popcorn on the prepared baking sheet when done.
- Add your semi-sweet chocolate to a microwave safe bowl and heat in 30 second intervals, stirring between each until smooth (about 1 minute).
- Drizzle over the top of the popcorn, making stripes across the top.
- Add your white chocolate to a microwave safe bowl and heat in 30 second intervals, stirring between each until smooth (about 1 minute).
- Drizzle the white chocolate over the top of the popcorn, making stripes across the top.
- Let rest until the chocolate has set.
- Break up any large popcorn clumps into smaller pieces.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Use white, semi-sweet, milk, or dark chocolate for different flavors.
- Consider using a larger bowl for making multiple bags of popcorn.
- Let the chocolate solidify for a mess-free experience.
- Thin thickened chocolate by adding ½ teaspoon of shortening or coconut oil.
- Enjoy fresh; avoid storing leftovers to prevent sogginess.