Ice cream cone cupcakes are a timeless treat, but have you ever just wanted one or two instead of a dozen or more? Using the microwave is fast, efficient, and perfect for small batches!
I recall "volunteering" my mother to make "cupcake cones" (as I called them) for elementary school parties (usually the night before). They were such a favorite treat of mine back then, and now they are loved by my kids as well.
While making dozens of cupcake cones can be fun, tricky, and time cosuming, this recipe keeps it simple, quick, and fast. Perfect for a last minute treat when you want something sweet.
Easy to make and so much fun to eat, these easy ice cream cone cupcakes only take a minute to make and are ready to eat almost as fast! Perfect for a last-minute sweet treat or a dairy free option to take to the party.
🍯 Why This Recipe Works
- Minimal ingredients. All you need is cones, cake mix, and water. Adding frosting is optional, but it definitely adds to the fun! This recipe is almost as easy as Cake Mix Mug Cakes, but with a tasty cone added.
- They're fast to make. Prepped in seconds and cooked in under a minute, you can have a single-portioned sweet treat faster than you can put everything away.
- They're frugal! These sweets only cost pennies to make, perfect for staying on a tight meal planning budget or when you want to stretch the ingredients you have on hand already.
Ice cream cones- You will need some flat bottomed ice cream cones. These can stand upright on their own, which makes the process significantly easier than a waffle cone.
Frosting- Adding frosting is totally optional and up to you. You can use Oreo Buttercream Frosting or a container of storebought frosting and they'll always be delicious.
For specific ingredients and measurements, please see the recipe card below.
🔪 Instructions for Microwave Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes
Step 1: Add the cake mix and water to a small bowl.
Step 2: Mix well until no large lumps remain.
Step 3: Carefully pour the cake batter into an ice cream cone. Place onto a microwave safe plate.
Step 4: Place in the microwave and heat for 45 seconds. The top should no longer look soggy, but a small wet spot is fine.
Step 5: Let cool 1-2 minutes before adding frosting (if using).
Serve and Enjoy!
🍴 Recipe Tips
Don't have cupcake cones? That's okay. You can still make Cake Mix Mug Cakes (all you need is cake mix, water, and a mug).
You can double or triple this recipe as needed, but you will need to divide the batter evenly between cones to prevent them from bubbling over and creating a mess.
Waiting about 3 minutes before handling is ideal because they will still be very warm/hot on the inside.
I recommend only cooking one cone at a time, if making multiple. This will ensure even cooking. Having more than one cooking at a time will increase the cooking time and will create varied results.
These treats are best enjoyed when fresh, but you can keep them stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
💭 Recipe FAQs
No. Waffle cones will not hold up well to the recipe as they are pointed on the bottom and won't stand up correctly in the microwave. Not only that, but the cones tend to get soggy when warmed.
Yes! These cones can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 3 months. They freeze very well with or without frosting. I like to freeze with frosting and enjoy them while they're still cold!
The three types of ice cream cones are sugar cones, waffle cones, and cake cones. For this recipe, we need cake cones as they are the only cones with a flat bottom base. If you have the wrong cone type, cosider filling them with some Chocolate Mason Jar Ice Cream instead!
❤️ More Delicious Treats Recipes
If you tried these microwave ice cream cone cupcakes, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and share your feedback in the 📝 comments section below. I would truly appreciate it!
Microwave Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes
- 1 Ice Cream Cone ($0.08)
- 2 Tablespoon Dry cake mix *any flavor ($0.03)
- 1 Tablespoon Water ($0.00)
- 1 Tablespoon Frosting *optional ($0.06)
- In a small bowl, combine the cake mix and water until no large lumps remain.
- Carefully pour the mixture into the cupcake cone. It should just barely come up to the base of the rounded edge of the cone.
- Place onto a microwave safe place and carefully place in the microwave.
- Heat for 45 seconds or until the top no longer looks soggy. A small wet spot is fine!
- Let cool 1-2 minutes before adding frosting (if using).
- Serve and Enjoy!