You're going to love these frosted Hershey cocoa brownies. Every bite is rich, creamy, and filled with chocolate. It tastes so good you won't want to share.
We moved across the country this summer and one of the things I wanted to do before packing was to use up as much of our pantry ingredients as possible. While searching for fun cocoa powder recipes I stumbled across this tasty Hershey Brownies Recipe and I swear it's so incredible I couldn't wait to share it with all of you!
The brownie recipe comes from Hershey, but I added the frosting on top to make it even better. The cocoa frosting is light and fluffy but the brownie is rich and tasty. One or two squares of this old Hershey brownie recipe will definitely help to satisfy your chocolate cravings.
Why This Recipe Works
- You won't want to share. My husband and I ate about half of the pan to ourselves (if not more) before sharing it with the kids. It was THAT good!
- Basic ingredients. Made with simple pantry ingredients, there's a good chance you have all (or most) of the ingredients on hand already!
- It's quick to assemble. Mixing everything together is actually pretty quick. In about the time it takes for the oven to preheat, you can have the batter ready to bake.
For the brownies, you will need:
Butter- This will give the batter some necessary fats so that the brownies are fudgy and moist.
Granulated sugar- Adding sugar not only helps with the sweetness, but also helps to keep the brownies tender too.
Vanilla- A flavor enhancer.
Eggs- Use eggs to help with the texture and binding of this recipe.
Hershey cocoa powder- Use some baking cocoa for the rich chocolate taste in every bite. Note: Special dark baking cocoa tastes incredible in this recipe!
Flour- You will need some all purpose flour for the gluten structure in these brownies.
Baking powder- This leavening agent will help the brownies to puff up and rise as they bake.
Salt- A natural flavor enhancer.
For the frosting, you will need:
Butter- For a rich taste, you'll want some butter in the frosting. I like to use salted butter, but unsalted is fine too.
Powdered sugar- This will make the frosting smooth and sweet.
Milk- To get the frosting to the desired consistency, you'll need some milk.
Hershey cocoa powder- You'll need some cocoa to make the frosting nice and chocolatey.
🍽 Equipment Needed
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
Check out how to make frosted Hershey cocoa brownies with these simple step-by-step instructions:
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and grease a square baking pan. Set pan aside.
In a mixing bowl, melt the butter.
Allow for it to cool for about 1 minute.
Add in the vanilla and sugar.
Whisk until combined.
Add the eggs, one at a time.
Whisking between each addition.
Add in the cocoa powder.
Stir together until well mixed.
Add in the flour, baking powder, and salt.
Stir to combine.
Pour your batter into the prepared baking dish.
Bake in the oven at 350 degrees F for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Let it cool for 10 minutes before making the frosting.
Create the frosting by blending the ingredients together with an electric mixer.
Blend until smooth.
Spread the frosting over the top of the brownies.
Let rest for another 30 minutes to cool and set.
Slice and serve.
The frosting is optional but fabulous if desired for an even richer taste you can simply pour two cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips over the baked brownies as they come out of the oven and then allow them to rest a few minutes to warm and melt and then spread across the top for a frosting alternative.
🍴 Recipe Tips
Making this Hershey cocoa brownie recipe is incredibly easy whether you prefer using a whisk, fork, or electric mixer, it should all combine well and simply.
You want the mixture to be well mixed, but you do not want to overmix your brownie batter, so once it looks like all of the dry ingredients have been combined and there are no streaks of flour, you're good to go.
If desired, you can double this recipe to fill a 9x13 baking dish. The baking time will need to be extended to about 5-10 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Yes, you can simply switch out the requested butter for the same amount of oil. Canola oil or even corn oil will work great but coconut oil can give a great added flavor.
These brownies once cooled and frosted can last up to a week in an airtight container at room temperature. I recommend eating them as soon as possible because they will taste best when still fresh.
More great chocolate recipes to try
- Rice Krispie Treats with Chocolate Chips
- Chocolate Chip Loaf Cake
- 20 Cozy Hot Chocolate Recipes
- Easy Chocolate Orange Cake
Frosted Hershey Cocoa Brownies
- ½ cup Butter ($0.75)
- 1 cup Granulated sugar ($0.22)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract ($0.01)
- 2 large Eggs ($0.16)
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoon Hershey cocoa powder ($0.60)
- ½ cup All purpose flour ($0.04)
- ¼ teaspoon Baking powder ($0.01)
- ⅛ teaspoon Salt ($0.01)
- 3 Tablespoons Butter, softened ($0.28)
- 1 ½ cup Powdered sugar ($0.35)
- 2 Tablespoons Milk ($0.01)
- 2 Tablespoons Hershey cocoa powder ($0.20)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease an 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, melt your butter. Let cool for 1 minute.
- Add in the vanilla and sugar and whisk to combine.
- Use a fork to mix in the eggs, one at a time.
- Add in the cocoa powder and mix well.
- Add in the flour, baking powder, and salt and stir to combine.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan and bake at 350 degrees F for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before making the frosting.
- Create the frosting by blending the ingredients together with an electric mixer or whisk until smooth.
- Spread frosting over brownies and allow to cool for 30 minutes before slicing and serving.