You're going to love this chocolate chip loaf cake recipe. It's a soft and tender cake that's packed with melty chocolate chips, which is EXACTLY what you need right now.
This chocolate chip pound cake loaf is a dense but moist pound cake speckled with mini chocolate chips, every bite is flavorful and wonderful. I may or may not have eaten a good portion of the loaf before it even cooled down. It was too good to walk away from.
One of the great things about Chocolate Chip Loaf Cake is its simplicity. It's easy to make, even for novice bakers, and doesn't require any complicated steps or intricate decorating.
If you're a chocolate fan, this cake is definitely something worth trying (and soon). But you should also check out my Chocolate Mason Jar Ice Cream too!
🍯 Why This Recipe Works
- It's delicious. Sweet bread, dense but moist, and filled with rich chocolate in every bite. Yum!
- It's easy to make. This recipe is very easy to make and throw together, making it perfect for novice bakers and anyone trying to make something impressive and tasty.
- Serve your chocolate chip pound cake as a dessert. Top it with whipped cream, ice cream, or fresh strawberries for an even more decadent dessert option. Or, you can be like my toddler, and pick the cooled choc chip loaf up, biting into it whole... Hey, it saves on dishes, right?
Sour Cream- This adds richness and moisture to the bread.
Butter- For necessary fats, adding butter will make our bread taste more flavorful and delicious.
Baking Powder- A leavening agent used to help the bread rise as it bakes.
Sugar- For added sweetness and to help the bread be nice and tender, you'll need some granulated sugar.
Chocolate Chips- You can use any size or type of chocolate chip for this recipe. I like to use mini chocolate chips because it means more chocolate in every bite.
For specific ingredients and measurements, please see the recipe card below.
🔪 Instructions for Chocolate Chip Loaf Cake
Step 1: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
Step 2: Grease an 8x4 inch bread loaf pan. Set it aside.
Step 3: Add your sugar and butter to a large mixing bowl.
Step 4: Cream together until light and fluffy. This should take about 2 minutes.
Step 5: Add in one egg.
Step 6: Mix well to combine.
Step 7: Add in the other eggs, mixing well to combine between each addition.
Step 8: Add in sour cream and vanilla.
Step 9: Mix again to combine.
Step 10: Add in the salt, baking powder, and flour.
Step 11: Mix to combine, but do not overmix. Make sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl as you go.
Step 12: Add the chocolate chips.
Step 13: Fold together until well distributed.
Step 14: Pour the batter into your bread pan and spread it down smoothly.
Step 15: Bake for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean (or with only melted chocolate on it).
Step 16: After 10 minutes, flip the bread out of the pan and onto a wire cooling rack.
Step 17: Let the bread cool completely before slicing.
🍴 Recipe Tips
Be very careful not to overmix the batter for this chocolate chip loaf cake recipe as that can cause a chewier texture, one which we don't want. The batter will be very thick when finished, but as it bakes the sour cream and butter will give it a rich and smooth texture that tastes great.
If at any point you feel the top of the loaf is getting too brown for your liking, you can loosely place a foil tent over the top to avoid it getting too dark. Personally, I like the shade it is because it gives a thick golden edge that reminds me of the sides of a cookie cake. Yum!
Waiting about an hour before slicing is ideal. It helps the moisture to lock into the loaf, helps the chocolate to firm up a bit, and makes it "slightly" less messy to cut into. To slice it too early is like giving all of the steam inside an exit route and could result in a dry loaf before you can safely store it away. I know, patience is hard.
💭 Recipe FAQs
You can use any type of chocolate chip. I personally used semi-sweet mini chocolate chips so that there was plenty of bitter/sweet balance and chocolate in every bite. You could use regular sized milk chocolate chips, jumbo sized chips, or any other variety you think you might enjoy.
If properly stored in an airtight container at room temperature, this cake can last up to a week and still taste good. For best results, I recommend eating within 2-3 days.
This cake gets its name from the shape of the cake and the item it is baked in. It's baked in a bread LOAF pan and when finished the cake itself looks like a loaf of bread. These cakes are normally not frosted like a stacked cake and are much easier to slice and serve.
❤️ More Delicious Quick Bread Recipes
If you tried this Chocolate Chip Loaf Cake, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and share your feedback in the 📝 comments section below. I would truly appreciate it!
Chocolate Chip Loaf Cake
- ½ cup Butter, softened ($0.99)
- 1 cup Granulated sugar ($0.36)
- 3 large Eggs ($0.45)
- ½ cup Sour cream ($0.50)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract ($0.03)
- 2 cups All purpose flour ($0.26)
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder ($0.05)
- ½ teaspoon Salt ($0.01)
- 2 cups Chocolate chips ($2.07)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease an 8x4 inch bread loaf pan. Set it aside.
- Add your sugar and butter to a large mixing bowl.
- Cream together until light and fluffy. This should take about 2 minutes.
- Add in one egg. Mix well to combine.
- Add in the other eggs, mixing well to combine between each addition.
- Add in sour cream and vanilla. Mix again to combine.
- Add in the salt, baking powder, and flour. Mix to combine, but do not overmix. Make sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl as you go.
- Add the chocolate chips. Fold together until well distributed.
- Pour the batter into your bread pan and spread it down smoothly.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean (or with only melted chocolate on it).
- After 10 minutes, flip the bread out of the pan and onto a wire cooling rack.
- Let the bread cool completely before slicing.
- When stored in an airtight container at room temperature, this cake can last up to a week and still taste good. For the best results, consume it within 2-3 days.