A decadent chocolate ice cream is just 4 ingredients away. With just a few minutes of prep and a little chill time in the freezer, you can have your dessert ready to eat in just a few hours. You're going to love this no-churn ice cream recipe!
Chocolate ice cream is such a wonderful classic and with this fabulous mason jar ice cream recipe, you're going to enjoy it well too.
I love how easy and simple mason jar ice cream recipes are. There are so many wonderful variations but this one is pretty simple, plain, and perfect as-is. How can one possibly improve upon chocolate? The answer- you can't. Chocolate is the perfect flavor for any occasion and mood.
With just 4 simple ingredients and about 5 minutes of physical prep work, your keto chocolate ice cream can be ready for the freezer in no time flat. Waiting for it to finish chilling, that's the real trick.
- Heavy Cream: Use some heavy whipping cream to give our ice cream the perfect consistency. Tip: Don't know which one to buy? Opt for the one with the higher fat percentage.
- Sugar: We need some added sweetness to give your dessert a more desirable flavor so using granulated sugar works out perfectly.
- Vanilla: Using a little vanilla extract will help to enhance the flavors in our ice cream recipe.
- Cocoa Powder: This is the unsweetened cocoa powder used in baking. You can adjust the amount depending on how rich and flavorful you want your ice cream to be.
🍽 Equipment Needed
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
Check out how to make chocolate mason jar ice cream with these simple step-by-step instructions:
Pour the heavy whipping cream into your mason jar.
Add in the granulated sugar.
Add in the vanilla and the cocoa powder.
Close the lid to the mason jar tightly and then shake well for about 3-5 minutes.
Shake until the liquid thickens and then open the lid.
Dip a spoon straight down into the liquid and raise it up. If the liquid clings and has no more than a drip or two, then it's good to go.
Place the lid on the jar and freeze for about 3 hours before serving.
🍴 Recipe Tips
Using the proper sized mason jar is ideal for getting your desired finished results. Too large or too small of a jar can throw off the end results or cause you to work even harder to mix the liquid mixture around, which isn't fun.
Making this no churn chocolate ice cream is super simple and easy. The best tip is to make sure to stop shaking the jar when you notice that the liquid inside has thickened and is no longer moving around as freely. This is a great testing point to try dipping a spoon into the liquid and lifting it straight above the jar. If the cream clings to the spoon and has no more than a drip or two back into the jar, it's ready to be frozen.
If the mixture runs off of the spoon, close the lid back up and mix again for a minute or so and check again. Do not overmix. If you overmix the contents past the thickening point, you will cause the mixture to separate which is essentially how you create butter- which isn't what we are trying to do here.
Also, the cocoa powder you use may vary in strength so depending on how rich and chocolatey you want your ice cream to be, try adding one tablespoon at first, mixing it up, tasting a little of the liquid, and then adjusting with more or leaving it as-is. Once you get it how you like it in taste, you know a wonderful dessert will await you.
Nope. This ice cream recipe does not require any eggs making it a non-cooking recipe and one that is perfectly safe to consume as a liquid or as a solid.
More great frozen treat recipes to try
- Strawberry Mason Jar Ice Cream
- Vanilla Mason Jar Ice Cream
- Peanut Butter Mason Jar Ice Cream
- Toasted Marshmallow Mason Jar Ice Cream
- Ice Cream Nachos
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Mason Jar Ice Cream
Chocolate Mason Jar Ice Cream
- ½ cup heavy cream ($0.50)
- 1 tablespoon sugar ($0.01)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla ($0.02)
- 1-2 tablespoon cocoa powder ($0.03)
- Measure your heavy cream and pour it into a mason jar.
- Add your sugar to the jar.
- Add the vanilla and cocoa powder.
- Close the lid to the jar nice and tightly.
- Shake the jar really good for about 3 minutes. You'll feel the texture within the jar change slightly and the mix should be thick enough to cling to a spoon when dipped, without running off more than a drop of two.
- Place the jar in the freezer and let it freeze for at least 3 hours before eating.