If you've never had a purple cow float, then I highly recommend you try one soon. They're a perfect blend of purple and white in every cup and absolutely as much fun to drink as they are to look at.
What is a purple cow? A purple cow float is an older-style drink recipe that used to be popular back in the 1930s. Traditionally made with vanilla ice cream and grape soda, we have since adapted it to be a healthier frozen drink with grape juice instead, but both ways are delicious.
My summer days are full of making cold drinks for the kids, like floats and Kool Aid Slushies. With so many different drink options, we're still returning to these purple cows pretty often.
🍯 Why This Recipe Works
- It's easy. If you have ever made a root beer float, then you already know how easy this recipe will be to make. Super simple and easy but always fun because of the unique color.
- You can make it more health-conscious. You may discover that this grape soda float is equally, if not more, enjoyable when substituting grape juice. Listed below are various enjoyable ways to modify this purple cow recipe to enhance its nutritional value, all while preserving the delightful vanilla grape flavors.
- The kids love it! What kid wouldn't love soda or ice cream? This nostalgic drink is perfect for hot summer days and treats.
Vanilla ice cream- You can use an old-fashioned, plain, vanilla bean, slow-churned, or any other vanilla ice cream variety of your choice as there is a LOT to choose from. For a different choice, you can even use vanilla frozen yogurt.
Grape juice or grape soda- Depending on whether you want to enjoy your float with the carbonated bubbly taste of soda or want to keep it healthier with grape juice instead, the option is yours as this drink can be served either way and still taste great.
For specific ingredients and measurements, please see the recipe card below.
🔪 Instructions for Purple Cow Float
Step 1: Add a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream to your tall drinking glass.
Step 2: Pour in grape juice or soda until it almost reaches the top of the glass.
Step 3: Serve your drink cold with a straw or spoon as desired.
💭 Recipe FAQs
This purple cow ice cream float recipe version is completely kid-safe and non-alcoholic. Don't confuse this purple cow recipe with that of its adult version. The adult's only alcoholic version is a combination of grape juice and vodka.
Both kids and grown-ups are gonna love this combo of grape juice and vanilla ice cream. It's a cool way to switch up your usual dessert game, add a pop of fun summer vibes, or simply because it's awesome!
This one's a crowd-pleaser loved by both kids and grown-ups. It's a scrumptious and tangy twist on the traditional root beer float. But it's made by mixing vanilla ice cream with grape soda.
❤️ More Delicious Beverage Recipes
If you tried this Purple Cow Float, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and share your feedback in the 📝 comments section below. I would truly appreciate it!
Purple Cow Float
- 1-2 scoops Vanilla ice cream ($0.42)
- 1 cup Grape juice or grape soda (possibly more) ($0.29)
- Scoop ice cream into cup.
- Add grape juice/soda.
- Serve cold with a straw or spoon.