If you've never had a purple cow float, then I highly recommend you try one soon. They're a perfect blend of purple and white in every cup and absolutely as much fun to drink as they are to look at.
What is a purple cow?
A purple cow float is an older-style drink recipe that used to be popular back in the 1930s. Traditionally made with vanilla ice cream and grape soda, we have since adapted it to be a healthier frozen drink with grape juice instead, but both ways are delicious.
You can find this grape soda float to be just as delicious (if not more so) when using grape juice. Included below are several fun ways you can customize this purple cow recipe to be healthier without losing out on any of the fun or delicious vanilla grape flavors.
Vanilla ice cream: You can use an old-fashioned, plain, vanilla bean, slow-churned, or any other vanilla ice cream variety of your choice as there is a LOT to choose from. For a healthier choice, you can even use vanilla frozen yogurt.
Grape juice or grape soda: Depending on whether you want to enjoy your float with the carbonated bubbly taste of soda or want to keep it healthier with grape juice instead, the option is yours as this drink can be served either way and still taste great.
🍽 Equipment Needed
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
- Tall drinking glasses
- Ice cream scooper
- Drinking straws
This purple cow ice cream float recipe version is completely kid-safe and non-alcoholic. Don't confuse this purple cow recipe with that of its adult version. The adult's only alcoholic version is a combination of grape juice and vodka.
Check out how to make purple cow float with these simple step-by-step instructions:
- Add a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream into your tall drinking glass.
- Pour in grape juice or soda until it almost reaches the top of the glass.
- Serve your drink cold with a straw or spoon as desired.
More great recipes to try
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- Peanut Butter Yogurt Fruit Dip
- Applesauce Custard Pie
- Blueberry Cream Cheese Babka
- Peanut Butter Jelly Mason Jar Ice Cream
- Frosted Hershey Cocoa Brownies
Purple Cow Float
- 1-2 scoops vanilla ice cream
- grape juice or grape soda about 1 cups
- Scoop ice cream into cup.
- Add grape juice/soda.
- Serve cold with a straw or spoon.