Peanut butter Rice Krispie treats are a delicious spin on a timeless classic. With gooey and soft rice crispies and a great peanut butter flavor, you have a snack everyone can enjoy!
You're going to love these Rice Krispie treats with peanut butter and marshmallow!
Regular Rice Krispie treats are delicious- it's a known fact. But the different flavorful spins on them are always fun! Just like my Smores Bars Recipe, these tasty treats stand alone in there awesomeness.
For a peanut butter lover or someone looking for a slightly more savory twist to a sweet snack, these peanut butter rice crispy bars are it.
- Rice crispy cereal
- Peanut butter
- Mini marshmallows
🍽 Equipment Needed
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
🍴 Recipe Tips
Making peanut butter crispy treats is pretty simple but there are a few things to note.
- Greasing your pan can be done with butter or nonstick cooking spray.
- When you press the Krispies into the pan, it really helps to have your hands greased too. This prevents it from sticking. So either rub softened butter on your hands or spray your palms with cooking spray.
- When you're melting the marshmallows, it's important to do it over a low temperature and to stir as little as possible to avoid overworking the marshmallows. It's okay to stir, but you don't need to do it constantly (except for when you melt in the peanut butter and add the cereal- that's different).
ANOTHER GREAT TIP: You can make these peanut butter rice crispy treats DAIRY FREE with the use of a plant based butter! Just double check the ingredients list on the back of the cereal box as some may contain traces of milk.
If you melt your marshmallows over too high of a heat you're cooking them too much and that will result in a much harder square when you're done. If you leave it on low, it might take a few extra minutes, but it's so much more worth it for the perfect tender treat we want.
You can use either one for these peanut butter crispies! Personally, I like the creamy peanut butter because it's what we have on hand, but if you want a little extra grit then chunky peanut butter works great.
While the two are very similar, they aren't exactly the same. Pescotcheroo bars have butterscotch chips melted into the peanut butter cereal bars for a unique flavor and there's melted chocolate on top. You can see for yourself with my Scotcheroos Recipe over here.
Absolutely! Just grab a large mixing bowl (microwave safe) and heat your butter and peanut butter for about 30 seconds until melted. Add in the marshmallows and heat for about 2 minutes, stirring at the 1 minute mark. Add in the cereal and combine. Pour into a baking dish and let set.
Take a bag of chocolate chips and place them in a microwave safe bowl with 3 tablespoons of coconut oil or heavy cream. Heat for 30 seconds, stir, and then another 30 seconds, repeating until they're completely melted.
Pour over the top of the crispy bars in the baking dish and let the top harden. You can speed this process up by placing them in the freezer for a few minutes.
Check out how to make peanut butter rice krispie treats with these simple step-by-step instructions:
In a large pot over low heat melt your butter.
Add in the marshmallows and then stir occasionally to prevent burning.
Once the marshmallows have almost completely melted, add in the peanut butte.
Stir until the marshmallows are completely melted and the peanut butter is well incorporated.
Remove the pot from the heat.
Add in the cereal.
Stir to combine.
Pour the cereal into a greased 9x13 baking dish or an 8x8 baking dish if you want them thicker.
Let them cool for about an hour to set before slicing into them.
Serve and enjoy.
Other sweet treats worth checking out!
- Blueberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake
- Keylime Cookies
- Oreo Bundt Cake with Marshmallow Glaze
- Rainbow Cake Mix Donuts
- Play Doh Cookies (Colored Sugar Cookies)
Peanut Butter Krispie Treats
- 4 tablespoon butter ($0.38)
- 1 bag mini marshmallows (10oz) ($0.99)
- ½ cup peanut butter ($0.42)
- 5 ½ cups Rice Krispie Cereal ($2.00)
- Melt the butter in a large pot over low heat.
- Add in the marshmallows and stir occasionally to prevent burning.
- Once the marshmallows look mostly melted, add in the peanut butter and stir until the marshmallows have completely melted and the peanut butter is well mixed.
- Add in the cereal and stir to combine.
- Pour the cereal into a greased 9x13 baking dish or an 8x8 if you want them thicker. Press them down and try to get them flat and condensed.
- Let cool for about an hour before cutting to make sure that they set.