These dairy free Rice Krispie treats are a fabulous dessert that's allergen friendly and oh so delicious! The coconut flavor, soft texture, and gooey stretchy crispy treats are a perfect snack for anyone.
I love these rice crispy treats so much that I may never go back to the butter version again. The subtle coconut flavor isn't overwhelming and adds just the right amount of flavor to every bite to make it truly unique.
I like to sprinkle a little flakey salt over the top of my coconut oil rice krispie squares to help round out the flavors, but even without salt, these treats taste incredible.
Even my picky kids (that hate coconut) couldn't detect it! Win!
- Mini marshmallows
- Coconut oil
- Crispy rice cereal
🍽 Equipment Needed
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
- Large pot
- Wooden spoon
- 9x9 baking dish
- Measuring cups
🍴 Recipe Tips
Making these rice crispy treats with coconut oil is super easy and simple. My biggest tip is to stir as little as possible so that you don't overwork the marshmallows. This prevents hard and brittle treats later and allows them to remain soft and gooey.
Another huge tip is to make them over medium/low heat. The lower the heat the longer it will take but it prevents overcooking the marshmallows and allows them to turn out perfect and gooey. So this is also very important for avoiding brittle treats later.
Allowing the cereal treats to cool for at least an hour will make them much easier to serve them up and slice as well. But a good trick to get them out of the pan is to line it with parchment paper so they come out easier and you don't need to slice them in the pan.
While there is no dairy in these treats, they are not vegan-friendly. Marshmallows contain an ingredient that is not vegan friendly (gelatin) and cereal would need to be purchased specifically labeled as vegan.
If you want to swap out half of the coconut oil for plant-based butter, you can do that! The flavor will be less coconut and still remain dairy free.
These coconut oil rice krispie treats can last up to 3 or 5 days if stored in an airtight container at room temperature. To store them, stack them with small parchment paper layers between them to prevent sticking (you'll thank me for this tip later).
Check out how to make dairy free rice krispies with these simple step-by-step instructions:
- Melt your coconut oil in a large pot over medium/low heat on the stove.
- Add in the marshmallows using a wooden spoon, stirring every so often until the marshmallows are fully dissolved.
- Stir in the cereal until it's well mixed and then pour the mixture into a greased 9x9 baking dish.
- Let cool and set for at least one hour before serving.
More great dairy free recipes to try
- Dairy Free Waffles
- Easy Dairy Free Coleslaw
- Rich and Chocolatey Vegan Mug Brownie
- Easy One Bowl Vegan Banana Bread with Applesauce
- Stovetop Banana Bread
Dairy Free Rice Krispie Treats
- 10 oz bag mini marshmallows ($0.99)
- ¼ cup coconut oil ($0.64)
- 5 cups Rice Krispie Cereal ($2.00)
- In a large pot over medium/low heat, melt your coconut oil.
- Add in the marshmallows and using a wooden spoon, stir every so often until the marshmallows are fully dissolved.
- Stir in the cereal until well mixed and then pour the cereal into a greased 9x9 baking dish.
- Let cool and set for at least an hour before slicing and serving.