These chocolate peanut butter rice krispie treats are a delicious treat when you want something sweet, savory, chewy, and crunchy. Every bite is a perfect blend of flavors and textures that will have you swooning at first bite.
We are big fans of the chocolate and peanut butter flavor combo over here and we also love rice crispy treats. We have got several different favorite crispy treat recipes over here but these chocolate peanut butter rice crispy treats are among the top 5.
My favorite part about making these peanut butter rice krispie treats with chocolate topping is how simple and easy they are. Yeah, they take a little extra time for the chocolate to set on top, but it is so worth it.
The chocolate on top adds a nice depth of flavor and richness into every bite that just makes it feel more indulgent than the crispy treats you grew up with. Such a simple addition but it changes the choc pb rice krispies so much (and for the better!)
- Mini marshmallows
- Rice crispy cereal
- Creamy peanut butter
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
🍽 Equipment Needed
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
- Large pot
- Wooden spoon
- Measuring cups
- 9x13 baking dish
- Microwave safe bowl
🍴 Recipe Tips
These chocolate peanut butter rice krispies are easy to make but a few tips could help to make them even easier.
For example, melting the chocolate should be done in 30-second intervals to prevent the chocolate from overcooking and seizing. If after heating the chocolate it becomes a solid clumpy mess, this means it has seized. No amount of effort will bring it back to the luxuriously smooth mix it once was. you can still eat it but it won't be nearly as pretty.
You can also melt the chocolate in a small pot on the stovetop if you don't have a microwave handy. I prefer the microwave method because it's a little more fool-proof but cooking the chocolate slowly over low heat in a pot will work as well. Adding in a teaspoon of coconut oil can also help to get a cohesively smooth texture.
When making the peanut butter crispies make sure not to overmix the marshmallows or cook them at too high of a temperature as this will cause them to become harder and more brittle. we want a soft and chewy texture so minimal mixing and low heat are best for tastier results.
Yes, absolutely! Simply use any margarine instead of butter and follow the recipe as requested. The end result should be a soft texture that tastes fabulous. Another great alternative is to use coconut oil instead of butter but it will leave a coconut flavor behind.
If you keep these peanut butter chocolate rice krispie bars well covered and stored at room temperature, they should last about a week and still be great. that said, they will taste best when fresh but can also be frozen for future treats as well.
Check out how to make chocolate peanut butter rice krispie treats with these simple step-by-step instructions:
- Melt your butter in a large pot over low heat.
- Add in your mini marshmallows and mix until melted.
- Remove the pot from the heat and stir in your peanut butter until well dissolved.
- Stir in the rice crispy cereal until the mixture has been evenly distributed.
- Press your mixture into a greased 9x13 baking dish.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips in 30-second intervals stirring well between each one until smooth. this should take about a minute or two.
- Pour the melted chocolate over the top of the peanut butter rice krispies and spread them into an even layer.
- Let the chocolate set and harden before slicing and serving.
More Rice Krispie Treat Recipes to Try
- Red Velvet Rice Krispie Treats
- Rice Krispie Treats with Chocolate Chips
- Dairy Free Rice Krispie Treats
- Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- Fruity Pebbles Treats
- Easy Microwave Scotcheroos
Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- ¼ cup butter ($0.38)
- 5 cup mini marshmallows ($1.00)
- 6 cups Rice Krispie Cereal ($2.00)
- ½ cup peanut butter ($0.42)
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips ($1.98)
- In a large pot over low heat melt your butter.
- Add in the mini marshmallows and mix until melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter until well blended.
- Stir in cereal and mix until all is evenly distributed.
- Press into a greased 9x13 baking dish.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt your chocolate chips in 30 second intervals, stirring well between each until smooth. This should take 1-2 minutes.
- Pour the melted chocolate over the top of the rice crispy treats and spread into an even layer to coat it well.
- Let the chocolate set and harden before slicing into squares and serving.