Make a twist to the usual lunch routines and add spicy tuna sandwiches to the menu. This tuna salad brings a kick of heat, creaminess, and so much flavor to every bite. This is one lunch you won't want to miss.
We really like our sandwich recipes around here, and spicy tuna sandwiches are just one of our latest frugal adventures. Made with canned tuna and some sriracha in the mix, this tuna salad ain't as momma made it.
Take it up a notch and turn it into a spicy tuna melt or simply enjoy it cold (perfect for lunch boxes and warm weather).
For more fabulous sandwich ideas, make sure to check out our Air Fryer Tuna Melt, Giant Sub Sandwich, Rainbow Grilled Cheese Sandwiches, and Air Fryer Club Sandwich.
Why This Recipe Works
- It's cheap to make. Canned tuna is one of the cheapest sandwich filling options available. This spicy tuna sandwich recipe costs less than $3 to make and makes enough to share with the family.
- It's easy to make. Open a can, drain some tuna, and mix everything together in a bowl. This recipe comes together so fast and takes hardly any effort too.
- It's customizable. We like the flavor of spice without the actual kick, but if you want a stronger kick of heat in every bite, feel free to add in more hot sauce or even some jalapenos!
Tuna- You'll need some 5-ounce sized cans of tuna in water, not oil. Pay attention to the labels.
Mayo- Mayonnaise is needed to help make the tuna salad creamy and filling.
Sriracha- Add in some sriracha or chili sauce for a nice kick of spice.
Sweet relish- This will give us a little contrast in flavors. It pairs really nicely with everything else that we have going on.
Yellow mustard- To help add more color and flavor and cut down on the mayo taste just a tad, you'll want to enlist the help of some yellow mustard.
Salt and pepper- This will be added to taste and is up to your own personal preferences.
Sandwich bread- Use your favorite sandwich bread or whatever is cheapest. Homemade Bread also works fine!
For specific quantities, see the recipe card below.
🍽 Equipment Needed
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
Check out how to make spicy tuna sandwich with these simple step-by-step instructions:
Start by draining the canned tuna and breaking it up with a fork. This will help to remove a lot of the chunks and make it easier to incorporate into the filling.
Add the drained tuna, mayo, sriracha, relish, and mustard to a bowl.
Stir together with a fork until well mixed. Add in salt and pepper to taste.
Spread about ½ cup of filling onto a single slice of sandwich bread.
Top with another slice of bread.
Repeat with the remaining sandwich filling and bread.
Serve and enjoy!
Bread. My kids are big fans of the cheap sliced sandwich bread but feel free to use any bread you want. Thicker bread slices (like homemade bread) may require a little longer cooking time (about 1-2 minutes)
🍴 Recipe Tips
These sandwiches are very full once filled. The filling can easily be divided into smaller portions to make additional sandwiches.
If desired, you can double this recipe (you may need a larger bowl).
You can swap out the bread for lettuce leaves if you want a tasty tuna wrap with fewer carbs.
⏲️ Make Ahead Instructions
You can prepare the tuna filling up to 3 days in advance and keep it stored in an airtight container in the fridge. Assemble and cook when ready.
If you have a can of tuna on hand that was packed in oil and not water, you can use it to make tuna sandwiches. Just note that you may wish to decrease the mayo in the filling because of the added fats.
Yes, draining tuna is important for removing a lot of moisture and sodium that we don't want to ingest. By removing the excess liquid, we don't have to worry about soggy sandwiches.
For food safety reasons, you should not allow your sandwich to sit out for more than 2 hours at room temperature. I personally don't recommend letting it sit out for more than a few minutes. If you don't plan on eating it right away, place it into a baggie or cover it and place it in the fridge.
More great lunch recipes to check out soon
Spicy Tuna Sandwich
- 2 cans (5oz) Tuna in water, drained ($1.76)
- ½ cup Mayo ($0.63)
- 2 Tablespoons Sriracha or chili sauce ($0.04)
- 1 Tablespoon Sweet relish ($0.02)
- 2 Tablespoon Yellow mustard ($0.04)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 slices Sandwich bread ($0.32)
- Start by draining the canned tuna and breaking it up with a fork. This will help to remove a lot of the chunks and make it easier to incorporate into the filling.
- Add the drained tuna, mayo, sriracha, relish, and mustard to a bowl.
- Stir together with a fork until well mixed. Add in salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread about ½ cup of filling onto a single slice of sandwich bread.
- Top with another slice of bread.
- Repeat with the remaining sandwich filling and bread.
- Serve and enjoy!
Leave a Reply