Making sheet pan grilled cheese sandwiches is a great way to make sandwiches for the whole family in just minutes! Perfectly toasty and filled with melty cheese in every bite.
Grilled cheese sandwiches are a classic and they're one that can often take a lot of time to make, especially when you're making them for the entire family. This "life hack" of a recipe helps to reduce time, effort, and more thanks to your oven and a sheet pan.
If you're only making one sandwich though, then I'd recommend sticking with a Microwave Grilled Cheese, since sheet pans are more convenient for larger batches.
Why This Recipe Works
- It's fast. Preheat the oven while you prep the sandwiches and have them ready to eat within just minutes.
- Minimal dishes. This recipe doesn't use any more dishes than a standard recipe for grilled cheeses would. You can make your baking sheet grilled cheese less messy to clean up after by lining the pan with foil too!
- Perfectly toasted. The oven baked grilled cheese sandwiches will come out perfectly toasty on both sides and have melty cheese in the middle making them truly perfect. You can cook longer to make them darker in color or pull them from the oven more quickly for a paler bread if desired.
Sliced Cheddar Cheese- You can use any sliced cheese variety of choice, but grilled cheeses are traditionally made with cheddar cheese or American cheese.
Sliced Sandwich Bread- Use any sliced bread of choice including white bread, whole wheat or even low carb.
Butter- You will want some softened butter to use to help coat the outsides of the bread so that they can turn into a nice golden brown color as they cook.
For specific quantities, see the recipe card below.
🍽 Equipment Needed
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
- Sheet pan
Check out how to make sheet pan grilled cheese sandwiches with these simple step-by-step instructions:
Preheat your oven to 450F degrees and arrange your bottom bread slices on a baking sheet.
Butter the tops of the bread slices or spray with cooking oil and then turn them so that the covered side is facing the baking sheet.
Arrange the cheese on the prepared bread slices.
Add the top bread slice and then spray it or spread the top with butter.
Bake for 5 minutes, flip the sandwich over and then bake for an additional 3-5 minutes until golden and toasty.
To make these oven baked grilled cheese sandwiches more unique you can swap out the bread for any of your favorite sliced bread. You can also swap out the cheeses for different flavors or even add in some sliced sandwich meat like ham or turkey.
🍴 Recipe Tips
Some people enjoy spreading mayo on the outside of their grilled cheese sandwiches instead of using butter. I have not tested that with this recipe so I don't know how that will turn out. It could stick to the pan a bit when you go to flip or remove your sandwiches.
🥗 Side Dishes
You can serve your sandwich with any of your favorite sandwich side dishes like potato chips, fresh fruits, or cut vegetables. We like to serve this grilled cheese sandwich with anything that we have on hand. (Usually strawberries and grapes).
Yes, you can! I happen to do it quite often but keep in mind that you should pile the cheese in the center of the bread and give a little space around the edges where the cheese doesn't look like it's falling out of the closed bread. This will help to prevent the cheese from melting and sticking to your pan which can be a hassle to clean later.
I recommend spreading softened butter on the bread because it's easier to control the bread to butter ratio and you don't have to worry about under buttered or soggy sections of the bread.
You can use either one depending on what you prefer. We like to use salted butter because it helps enhance the flavors but unsalted butter is great for when you're trying to reduce some sodium from your diet.
More great lunch recipes to check out soon
- Giant Sub Sandwich
- Rainbow Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- Momma's Easy Egg Salad Recipe
- Chicken Nugget Wraps
- Peanut Butter Jelly Spider Sandwiches
- Grilled Fluffernutter
- Air Fryer Grilled Ham and Cheese
Sheet Pan Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- Sheet pan
- 6 slices Cheddar Cheese
- 12 slices Sandwich bread
- Softened Butter or cooking spray
- Preheat your oven to 450F degrees and arrange your bottom bread slices on a baking sheet.
- Butter the tops of the bread slices or spray with cooking oil and then turn them so that the covered side is facing the baking sheet.
- Arrange the cheese on the prepared bread slices. Add the top bread slice and then spray it or spread the top with butter.
- Bake for 5 minutes, flip the sandwich over and then bake for an additional 3-5 minutes until golden and toasty.
Leave a Reply