This easy grilled fluffernutter sandwich is the perfect level of crispy, gooey, and sweet. Make lunch fun and awesome with this favorite recipe.
Fluffernutter sandwiches are a combination of marshmallow fluff and peanut butter on bread. Adding the crispy golden grilled bread into the mix just makes it that much more incredible.
This warm, gooey, and nostalgic treat takes the beloved childhood flavors of peanut butter and marshmallow to the next level by grilling them in a buttery, golden-brown sandwich.
It's a delightful blend of sweet, salty, and creamy, offering a satisfying bite that will take you on a trip down memory lane.
My daughter raves about lunchtime when we have fluffernutters, but the day I decided to make a fried fluffernutter sandwich on the griddle, I just about blew her mind.
Her reaction was priceless, and the plate was literally licked clean afterward. Proof that you can't go wrong with a peanut butter filled gooey marshmallow fluff sandwich.
🍯 Why This Recipe Works
- It's the BEST fluffernutter sandwich. While you don't HAVE to fry up this sandwich, you definitely should. The crispy, buttery bread, and messy fillings just make it that much more irresistible.
- Simple ingredients. We don't need much to make this recipe. Keeping it pretty simple and easy is just one of the reasons why we love to make it so much.
- It's great for "just because." Ever want to switch up things at lunch and create a meal that's a little "extra" or "fun"? This sandwich is totally it!
Sandwich bread- You can use your favorite sandwich bread, including gluten free, whole wheat, or even buttermilk.
Creamy peanut butter- Crunchy would work too, but creamy is our favorite. Use your favorite nut butter.
Marshmallow fluff- A small container of fluff will make a lot of sandwiches!
Butter- Softened butter or whatever you use for rubbing on the outside of a grilled cheese sandwich before toasting mayo not recommended).
For specific ingredients and measurements, please see the recipe card below.
🔪 Instructions for Grilled Fluffernutter
Step 1: Spread peanut butter on one side of two slices of bread, and marshmallow fluff on one side of the other two pieces.
Step 2: Take one slice of peanut butter bread and one slice of marshmallow bread and press them together so that the peanut butter and fluff are both touching.
Step 3: Repeat for the other sandwich.
Step 4: Spread your softened butter on the outside pieces of both sandwiches and cook in a preheated skillet over medium heat.
Step 5: Heat for about 2 minutes per side, until nice and golden brown.
🍴 Recipe Tips
If you already know how to make a fluffernutter and know how to make a grilled cheese sandwich, you've already got the knowledge and know-how to make a grilled peanut butter and marshmallow sandwich.
Unlike grilled cheese sandwiches where you may have to wait for several for the cheese to melt or place a lid over to help cook the middles, these sandwiches are faster. Perfect for us impatient chefs or those dealing with impatient hungry kids.
Because peanut butter and marshmallow fluff cook and melt at such a low heat, we're basically just throwing peanut butter and marshmallow fluff on toast. In fact, you probably could make a grilled fluffernutter in the microwave like my microwave grilled cheese recipe, obviously using less time in the microwave.
💭 Recipe FAQs
October 8th is a day that celebrates all things fluffernutter. The perfect excuse for whipping out this grilled fluffernutter recipe or making some delicious peanut butter and marshmallow treats.
A fluffernutter is a name given to food with main ingredients like peanut butter and marshmallow fluff. While originally named for the sandwich, it has come to be used in many different recipes all featuring this perfect duo.
The Fluffernutter sandwich is believed to have originated in the United States, and it gained popularity in the early 20th century. It is a beloved and nostalgic treat for many.
❤️ More Delicious Lunch Recipes
If you tried this Grilled Fluffernutter, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and share your feedback in the 📝 comments section below. I would truly appreciate it!
- 4 slices Sandwich bread ($0.24)
- 6 Tablespoons Marshmallow Fluff ($0.30)
- 6 Tablespoons Creamy Peanut Butter ($0.30)
- 4 Tablespoons Butter, softened ($0.50)
- Take two slices of bread and spread an even layer of marshmallow fluff on top.
- Take another two slices of bread and spread an even layer of peanut butter on top.
- Sandwich together one slice of marshmallow fluff bread and one slice of peanut butter bread, so that the marshmallow and peanut butter are touching. Repeat with the other two slices.
- Now take your soft butter spread and coat the outsides of the sandwiches so that both sides are nicely coated.
- In a pre-heated skillet over medium heat, lay your sandwiches down and cook until golden about 2 minutes) flip and repeat to the other side.
- Place cooked sandwich on a plate and enjoy warm.