Microwave grilled cheeses are the perfect lunch option when you want some melted cheese between buttered bread, and you want it fast. They're quick, simple, and oh-so-satisfying.
Microwave grilled cheeses are a great recipe for kids, college students, and those without access to a griddle or stovetop. Another great perk is that it's a great way to avoid heating up the house on a hot summer's day!
Can you make a grilled cheese in the microwave? YES! With just 15-30 seconds in the microwave, you can have hot and gooey melted cheese between soft and crispy bread. The longest part is waiting on the toaster, but it's fine because even that doesn't take more than a few short minutes!
🍯 Why This Recipe Works
- It's cheap. Sandwich meat and fancy condiments can get pricey, but a little cheese and butter go a long way with this simple sandwich recipe.
- It's quick to make! It's like a million times faster than making grilled cheeses on the stovetop... or at least it feels that way when you're cooking for an entire family.
- It's delicious. Whether you use one slice of cheese or two or swap the cheese for your favorite variety you can end up with some tasty creations every time.
Butter- You will need some softened butter or butter-like spread to apply to the bread. Cold butter won't work as well (I promise!)
Sandwich bread- Use some sliced sandwich bread for maximum convenience. We like white bread, but wheat works fine too.
Cheese slices- You can use Kraft slice singles or packaged sliced cheese. We like to pick and choose based on what we have on hand.
For specific ingredients and measurements, please see the recipe card below.
You can use any sliced cheese or bread for this recipe, so feel free to make them unique or keep them as simple as you want.
I have not tried to spread mayo on the outside of the bread, so if you like your grilled cheese with mayo instead of butter, let me know how it turns out.
Step 1: Grab two slices of sandwich bread. Place the bread in your toaster and cook until nice and golden brown.
Step 2: Remove the warm slices and spread butter on one side of each cooked slice.
Step 3: Place a slice of buttered toast, butter side down, onto a microwave-safe plate.
Step 4: Top with your sliced cheese.
Step 5: Add the remaining piece of bread, butter facing outwards.
Step 6: Microwave for 15-30 seconds until the cheese is nice and melted.
Serve warm, and enjoy!
🍴 Recipe Tips
If you want your grilled cheese to be "less soft" with the bread and to keep more of the crispness, wrap it in a paper towel before heating it in the microwave to help absorb some excess moisture.
🥗 Side Dishes
You can serve your sandwich with any of your favorite lunch side dishes like potato chips, fresh fruits, or cut vegetables. We like to serve this grilled cheese sandwich with anything that we have on hand. (Usually strawberries and grapes).
Yes, if you don't want to use butter or a butter spread you can use mayo in its place. You can even omit this step entirely. One of my kids prefers to just have bread and cheese.
Records show grilled cheese or melted cheese sandwiches being available for purchase in restaurants around the early 1900s.
Grilled cheese tastes great with itself on its own, fresh-cut veggies like broccoli baby carrots, or soups. Soups like tomato, chili, or even chowders can be great side dishes.
❤️ More Delicious Lunch Recipes
If you tried this Microwave Grilled Cheese, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and share your feedback in the 📝 comments section below. I would truly appreciate it!
Microwave Grilled Cheese
- 2 slices Sandwich bread ($0.08)
- 2 slices Cheddar cheese ($0.62)
- 1 Tablespoon Butter, softened ($0.09)
- Place two slices of bread in toaster and cook until golden.
- Remove from toaster and immediately spread some butter on one side of each slice.
- Place cheese on other side so that the butter is facing outwards and close the bread around the cheese to form a sandwich.
- Place sandwich on a microwave safe plate and microwave for 15 seconds-30 seconds until cheese is melted.