Microwave grilled cheeses are the perfect lunch option when you want some melted cheese between buttered bread and you want it fast.
My daughter has been getting more and more active in the kitchen lately and has recently mastered the toaster, microwave, and coffee maker. Yup, she wakes up before me and brews me a fresh pot every morning.
But, her sandwich skills are still there with the PB&J or Fluffernutters so being able to give her a warmer recipe to try has been a fun breakthrough.
Microwave grilled cheeses are a great recipe for kids or those without access to a griddle or stovetop. Another great perk is that it's a great way to avoid heating up the house on a hot summer's day!
Not to mention it's like a million times faster than making grilled cheeses on the stovetop... or at least it feels that way when you're cooking for an entire family.
Check out this super simple recipe and why it's worth trying soon.
- Sandwich bread
- Cheese slices
🍽 Equipment Needed
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
- Butter knife
Can you make a grilled cheese in the microwave?
YES! It's mind-blowingly awesome and true! With just 15-30 seconds in the microwave, you can have hot and gooey melted cheese between soft and crispy bread. The longest part is waiting on the toaster, but it's fine because even that doesn't take more than a minute or two!
If you want your grilled cheese to be "less soft" with the bread and to keep more of the crispness, wrap it in a paper towel before heating it in the microwave to help absorb some excess moisture.
Yes, if you don't want to use butter or a butter spread you can use mayo in its place.
Records show grilled cheese or melted cheese sandwiches being available for purchase in restaurants around the early 1900s.
Grilled cheese tastes great with itself on its own, fresh-cut veggies like broccoli or baby carrots, or soups. Soups like tomato, chili, or even chowders can be great side dishes.
Check out how to make grilled cheese in the microwave with these simple step-by-step instructions:
- Place two slices of sandwich bread in your toaster and cook until nice and golden brown.
- Remove the warm slices and spread butter on one side of each cooked slice.
- Place cheese between the two slices so that the butter faces outwards and it makes the sandwich.
- Place the sandwich on a plate and microwave for 15-30 seconds until the cheese is nice and melted.
More great sandwich recipes to try
- Giant Sub Sandwich
- Easy Baked Rainbow Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- Peanut Butter Jelly Spider Sandwiches
- Air Fryer Grilled Ham and Cheese
- Grilled Fluffernutter
Microwave Grilled Cheese
- 2 slices sandwich bread ($0.08)
- 2 slices cheese, favorite variety ($0.16)
- 1 tablespoon butter spread ($0.09)
- Place two slices of bread in toaster and cook until golden.
- Remove from toaster and immediately spread some butter on one side of each slice.
- Place cheese on other side so that the butter is facing outwards and close the bread around the cheese to form a sandwich.
- Place sandwich on a microwave safe plate and microwave for 15 seconds-30 seconds until cheese is melted.