These easy baked rainbow grilled cheese sandwiches are super easy to make and even more fun to eat! My kids love them, and I'm sure yours will too!
I made rainbow grilled cheese sandwiches for my oldest kid when she was about 3 years old, and it has been a requested favorite ever since. I don't do them often, but when I do, you know it's a special occasion.
This rainbow sandwich recipe is often referred to as "unicorn grilled cheese" in this house. The colors vary but the result is a colorful twist that's perfect for special occasions or adding a pop of excitement to an everyday meal.
Rainbow grilled cheese sandwiches are versatile and can be enjoyed as a fun snack, a creative lunchbox addition, or a delightful party food that's sure to impress your guests.
Whether you're a kid or a kid at heart, these sandwiches offer a delightful dining experience that's worth savoring.
🍯 Why This Recipe Works
- Multiple sandwiches at once. These sandwiches are baked, making them even easier to feed a big family. With the stovetop method, I often found myself taking 5 minutes per sandwich, but I can make 6-8 of them in under 10 minutes with this nifty trick!
- They're easy to make. Shred some cheese and mix with colors. This recipe is simple and easy to make. I often have my kids help with mixing the colors and adding the cheese to the sandwiches.
- They're fun! Anyone can make a grilled cheese sandwich, but making it into a fun lunch that the kids get excited about eating is something not everyone can do. You're going to love watching their eyes light up.
Shredded white cheese- You can use mozzarella cheese or white American cheese. Even muster works well if you can find it in brick form.
Butter- You will need some non-stick cooking spray or softened butter to coat the outside of the bread. This helps make them taste richer and makes them golden and crispy too!
Food coloring- Use some food coloring in rainbow colors to give your cheese that fun color. I prefer gel food coloring because it's more vibrant.
For specific ingredients and measurements, please see the recipe card below.
🔪 Instructions for Rainbow Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Step 1: Preheat your oven to 450F degrees.
Step 2: On a baking sheet, arrange your bottom bread slices.
Step 3: Butter the tops of the bread slices or spray with cooking spray. Flip over so that its "wet" side is facing the pan.
Step 4: In small bowls or zipper-topped bags, divide your cheese and add a few drops of color. About 2-5 is plenty. The more you add, the more vibrant the color.
Step 5: Mix until the cheese is completely colored.
Step 6: Arrange your cheese on the prepared bread slices that are on the baking sheet.
Step 7: Add the top slice of bread and butter or spray the tops.
Step 8: Bake for 5 minutes, flip over and then bake for another 3-5 minutes.
Step 9: Slice, serve, and enjoy!
🍴 Recipe Tips
When I make oven-baked sandwiches I choose to spray the outside of my sandwiches with Canola, Olive oil, or a butter spray instead of spreading softened butter on them.
This helps to get a nice golden color and crispy bread. It sounds weird, but it works great and keeps you from over-buttering the bread and getting a soggy sandwich.
Also, adding the cheese seems to be as much fun as eating it! *So says, my kids.
💭 Recipe FAQs
You can use any white or lighter-colored shreddable cheese. I personally prefer mozzarella, Italian blend, Pizza blend, or white cheddar. But Muenster gives a great stringy cheese if you're looking for that coolness factor when you bite into the rainbow cheese!
You can use any type of bread! I usually grab whatever's on hand (which is usually plain white or wheat sandwich bread). But honey oat, buttermilk bread, 12 grain, etc. They all work. So use what you like. 😉
This trend has been going on for years now. A lot of the original inspiration for rainbow toasties came from South Korea, Australia, and other parts of the world.
Some are served with sprinkles on the bread and others include fun-colored bread too. But the basic idea of colored cheese and bread remains the same everywhere (can't have grilled cheese without them).
❤️ More Delicious Kid Recipes
If you tried this Rainbow Grilled Cheese Sandwiches, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and share your feedback in the 📝 comments section below. I would truly appreciate it!
Rainbow Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- 16 ounces Shredded White Cheese ($3.98)
- 12 slices Sandwich bread ($0.72)
- Food coloring ($0.04)
- Softened Butter or cooking spray ($0.16)
- Preheat your oven to 450F degrees and arrange your bottom bread slices on a baking sheet. I recommend lining the sheet with foil for an easier cleanup.
- Butter the tops of the bread slices or spray with cooking oil and then turn them so that the covered side is facing the baking sheet.
- In small bowls or zipper topped bags, divide your cheese and add 2-5 drops of food coloring. Mix until well combined.
- Arrange the cheese on the prepared bread slices. Add the top bread slice and then spray it or spread the top with butter.
- Bake for 5 minutes, flip the sandwich over and then bake for an additional 3-5 minutes until golden and toasty.