These easy-baked rainbow grilled cheese sandwiches are super easy to make and even more fun to eat! My kids love them, and I'm sure yours will too!
I made rainbow grilled cheese sandwiches for my oldest kid when she was about 3 years old and it has been a requested favorite ever since. I don't do them often, but when I do you know it's a special occasion.
This rainbow sandwich recipe is often referred to as "unicorn grilled cheese" in this house, the colors vary but often carry that fun rainbow vibe.
These sandwiches are baked, making them even easier for feeding a big family. With the stovetop method, I often found myself taking 5 minutes per sandwich, but I can make 6-8 of them in under 10 minutes with this nifty trick!
- Shredded white cheese
- Sandwich bread
- Non-stick cooking spray or softened butter
- Food coloring
For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
🍽 Equipment Needed
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
Check out how to make rainbow sandwiches with these simple step-by-step instructions:
- Preheat your oven to 450F degrees. On a baking sheet arrange your bottom bread slices.
- Butter the tops of the bread slices or spray with cooking spray. Flip over so that its "wet" side is facing the pan.
- In small bowls or zipper topped bags, divide your cheese and add a few drops of color. About 2-5 is plenty, the more you add the more vibrant the color. Mix until the cheese is completely colored.
- Arrange your cheese on the prepared bread slices that are on the baking sheet.
- Add the top slice of bread and butter or spray the tops.
- Bake for 5 minutes, flip over and then bake for another 3-5 minutes.
🍴 Recipe Tips
When I make oven-baked sandwiches I choose to spray the outside of my sandwiches with Canola, Olive oil, or a butter spray instead of spreading softened butter on them.
This helps to get a nice golden color and crispy bread. It sounds weird, but it works great and keeps you from over buttering the bread and getting a soggy sandwich.
Also, adding the cheese seems to be as much fun as eating it! *So says, my kids.
You can use any white or lighter-colored shreddable cheese. I personally prefer mozzarella, Italian blend, Pizza blend, or white cheddar. But Muenster gives a great stringy cheese if you're looking for that coolness factor when you bite into the rainbow cheese!
You can use any type of bread! I usually grab whatever's on hand (which is usually plain white or wheat sandwich bread). But honey oat, buttermilk bread, 12 grain, etc. They all work. So use what you like. 😉
This trend has been going on for almost a decade now (that I'm personally aware of). A lot of the original inspiration for rainbow toasties came from South Korea, Australia, and other parts of the world. Some are served with sprinkles on the bread and others include fun-colored bread too. But the basic idea of colored cheese and bread remains the same everywhere (can't have grilled cheese without them).
Other kid-friendly recipes you'll love
- Easy microwave scotcheroos
- Honeybee cupcakes
- Apple Nachos
- Golden Grahams Snack Mix
- PBJ on a Stick
- Golden Grahams Smores Bars
Rainbow Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- Large baking sheet
- Spatula (for flipping the sandwiches over)
- Ziploc bags or small bowls and a spoon
- 16 oz Shredded White Cheese ($3.96)
- 12 slices Sandwich bread ($0.48)
- Food coloring ($0.04)
- Softened Butter or cooking spray ($0.16)
- Preheat your oven to 450F degrees and arrange your ottom bread slices on a baking sheet.
- Butter the tops of the bread slices or spray with cooking oil and then turn them so that the covered side is facing the baking sheet.
- In small bowls or zipper topped bags, divide your cheese and add 2-5 drops of food coloring. Mix until well combined.
- Arrange the cheese on the prepared bread slices. Add the top bread slice and then spray it or spread the top with butter.
- Bake for 5 minutes, flip the sandwich over and then bake for an additional 3-5 minutes until golden and toasty.