With fresh strawberries in every bite, you know this rustic strawberry galette is going to taste incredible. It's the perfect recipe for sharing with the family. Every bite is bursting with flavor.
We love fresh strawberries around here and now that it's spring, they've become so much cheaper, meaning more strawberry recipes in this house. We're excited for trying new recipes and old favorites but one recipe we just HAD to try was this easy strawberry galette.
This galette is sweet, savory, and perfect for spring/summer! With every bite, you get that fresh strawberry flavor, a buttery crust, and a combination of soft berries with a crisp crust. It's truly a perfect dessert or brunch item and takes very little effort to make.
🍯 Why This Recipe Works
- Breakfast or dessert. Serve it up with whipped cream, ice cream, or as-is for a perfect summer treat!
- Easy to make. Just toss some stuff together for a filling and lay it on a flat pie crust before folding up the edges. This recipe is WAY easier than making a full pie.
- Perfect for single crust usage. I can't be the only one who often uses one crust from the box and struggles to think of how to use the other, haha. This recipe helps to use up that leftover crust.
Fresh strawberries- You'll need fresh strawberries that have been washed and dried before usage.
Cornstarch- Use cornstarch as a thickener in the filling so that it isn't runny when sliced.
Black ground pepper- This is a "secret" ingredient that helps to cut down on the acidity in the strawberries and enhances their flavor so they taste more like a strawberry.
Prepared pie crust- You can use storebought crust or a homemade pie crust, depending on what you'd prefer. I like to use storebought to help save time.
Eggwash- An egg wash is some water and an egg. Brushing this over the crust will help it to turn a nice golden color when baked.
Turbinado sugar- This is an optional ingredient. I like to sprinkle it around the edge of my galette for a nicer appearance and slight crunch, but you can simply omit it.
For specific ingredients and measurements, please see the recipe card below.
Step 1: Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
Step 2: Mix together the strawberries, granulated sugar, vanilla, cornstarch, lemon juice, and black pepper in a mixing bowl until combined.
Step 3: Lay a pie crust on top of a piece of parchment paper.
Step 4: Place the strawberry filling into the center of the pie crust.
Step 5: Prepare egg wash and brush it over the edges of the pie crust.
Step 6: Fold up the edges, crimping as you go to form a pocket that holds the filling in.
Step 7: Pick up the parchment paper and place it onto a baking sheet.
Step 8: Brush the crust with more egg wash and then sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
Step 9: Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes and let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
🍴 Recipe Tips
Making this strawberry galette recipe is super easy and a great way to make a "pie" without the actual effort of making a pie. We lay the crust out flat, fill it up, fold the edges and bake. There's nothing difficult about it and it's perfect for taking the easy route while giving us some great-looking results.
I highly recommend making your galette on a piece of parchment paper as you can transfer it to the baking sheet easily and lift it off after it's finished baking. Without the parchment paper, you may notice some crust sticking to the baking sheet as you go to slice it, and that, unfortunately, causes the crust to break.
Giving your galette adequate time to cool after baking will also help the filling to thicken. About 10-20 minutes is perfect for thickening the filling, but I like it closer to that 10 minute mark because I'm impatient and want it warm with my cold ice cream.
Fun fact, black pepper helps to cut down on the acidity of berries so you can expect sweeter results without the fear of biting into a sour strawberry. You can omit the pepper if desired but I really think it works perfectly in here as it's unnoticeable in flavor, but helps to bring everything together and enhance the flavors nicely.
Turbinado sugar is also known as sugar in the raw it's a more coarse sugar and golden brown in color. When added to baked goods it adds sweetness and crunch because it doesn't dissolve as quickly as a finer grain would.
A galette is like a pie's carefree cousin; it's not confined to a pie dish but bakes up beautifully on a baking sheet. Start with a single layer of pie dough rolled out into a big circle, and then get creative with fillings like apples or blueberries on top.
❤️ More Delicious Strawberry Recipes
If you tried this Strawberry Galette, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and share your feedback in the 📝 comments section below. I would truly appreciate it!
- 3 ½ cups Fresh Strawberries, sliced ($2.98)
- 3 Tablespoons Granulated sugar ($0.02)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract ($0.02)
- 3 Tablespoons Cornstarch ($0.02)
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon juice ($0.02)
- ⅛ teaspoon Ground black pepper ($0.02)
- 1 Pie crust ($1.49)
- 1 large Egg, beaten ($0.08)
- 1 teaspoon Water
- 1 teaspoon Turbinado sugar *optional ($0.01)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix strawberries with granulated sugar, vanilla, cornstarch, lemon juice, and black pepper until well mixed.
- Lay pie crust out flat on a piece of parchment paper.
- Place the strawberry filling mixture into the center of the pie crust.
- Brush the edges of the pie crust with egg wash.
- Fold up the edges and crimp as you go so that it creates a nice pocket to hold the filling in.
- Transfer the parchment paper and galette to the baking sheet.
- Brush the outer edges of pie crust with egg wash and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes and let cool at least 10 minutes before serving.