Fresh strawberries are abundant in these bakery style muffins. With a fluffy and tender muffin, fresh berries, and a crumble topping, you're going to love these easy strawberry muffins.
These fabulous fresh strawberry muffins are simply incredible. The tops are crunchy, crisp, and sweet and underneath the crunchy exterior is a soft and tender spiced muffin. These middles practically melt in your mouth. They're so soft and fluffy!
And of course, every one of these strawberry muffins with crumb topping is speckled with the sweet and tangy bursts of fresh strawberries that help pull all of the wonderful flavors and textures together into every amazing bite.
For more delicious strawberry recipes, make sure to check out my Strawberry Banana Orange Smoothie, Homemade Strawberry Pop Tarts, and Strawberry Peach Cobbler.
Why This Recipe Works
- It's not too sweet. Unlike other muffin recipes out there, this one isn't overly sweet. Yes, there's sweetness, but you feel like it's a sweet Brunch or snack, not a sweet-tooth satisfying dessert.
- It's great for on-the-go snacking. These portable muffins are perfect for a grab-and-go breakfast or easy weekend mornings.
- Simple ingredients. We use fresh strawberries and a lot of basic pantry staple ingredients like flour, baking powder, and butter to make these muffins.
Flour- Two cups of all-purpose flour will be the base of our muffin batter.
Leavening Agents- Using 1 tablespoon of baking powder and 1 teaspoon of baking soda we can be sure that our muffins will turn out nice and fluffy.
Spices- We want 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and ½ teaspoon of nutmeg to help give us a flavorfully spiced muffin in every bite.
Salt- To enhance the flavors in the muffin recipe, we want ¼ teaspoons of salt to help us out.
Sugar- 1 cup of granulated sugar will help to give us a sweetened muffin and crisp top edges.
Vanilla- 2 teaspoons of vanilla will help to enhance the flavors by giving it a nice base for the other flavors to branch off of.
Sour Cream- You can use ½ cup sour cream as I did or swap it out for Plain Greek yogurt. Regular yogurts will not work as the liquid content will be too high.
Butter- We will need ½ cup (one stick) of melted butter.
Egg- We just need 1 egg to help us bind our muffins together.
Orange Zest- Optionally you can add in 2 teaspoons of orange zest for a tangy fresh flavor addition, but ½ teaspoon of lemon zest works well too!
Strawberries- We need 1 ¼ cups of diced strawberries. Wash and chop them into bite-sized pieces about half an inch big.
Crumble Topping- A crumb topping made with sugar, flour, cinnamon, and butter.
Glaze- A sweet, drizzled glaze made by using powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla.
🍽 Equipment Needed
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
Check out how to make bakery style strawberry muffins with these simple step-by-step instructions:
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F and line a muffin tray with paper liners. Set aside.
Add the dry ingredients for the strawberry crumble topping to a medium sized mixing bowl.
Whisk together until blended.
Add the cubed butter to the dry mix.
Cut together with two forks or a pastry blender until coarse crumbs appear. Set aside.
Add your flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a medium sized mixing bowl.
Whisk together to combine.
In a large mixing bowl, add the sugar, vanilla, and sour cream.
Whisk to combine.
Add the melted (cooled) butter to the sugar mixture.
Stir quickly to prevent the butter from hardening.
Add in the egg and orange zest, if using.
Mix again to combine.
Add in the flour mixture.
Fold together to combine. Stir just until incorporated. The batter will be thick.
Fold in the strawberry chunks, do not overmix.
The dough will be thick like soft cookie dough.
Scoop the batter into muffin cups and fill them ⅔'s of the way full.
Top with the crumble topping and press down gently to adhere.
Bake at 450 degrees F for 7 minutes and then lower the temperature to 375 degrees F and continue baking for another 5-7 minutes until a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean.
Let cool for 5 minutes in the pan before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling completely.
Whisk together the glaze ingredients in a small bowl until smooth. Drizzle glaze over the top of your cooled muffins. Allow the icing to set. About 10 minutes.
Serve and enjoy!
🍴 Recipe Tips
Originally I wanted to make these strawberry sour cream muffins as a treat for Valentine's Day and tell everyone that they were Valentine's Muffins, but after developing the recipe, I just couldn't wait any longer to make them. So now they're just Spring muffins, and I'm okay with that.
These muffins are so simple and easy to make that there's really no massive effort in the prep work. The trickiest part is simply waiting near the oven to adjust the temperature halfway through the baking process.
To do this, you don't open the oven, touch the muffins or anything. All you do is simply turn down the oven heat. Only after ALL of the time has elapsed should you open the oven and check on the muffins. Then use a toothpick to see if they come out clean. If not, add a minute or two to the baking process.
These muffins can last up to a few days if stored properly in the fridge. I recommend eating them within 3-5 days for the best results.
The two baking times is what helps to give us a slight dome shape when baked. It also helps to crisp up the top and crumb topping while giving us an absolutely perfect fluffy muffin inside that's still moist and not at all dry.
More great strawberry recipes to try
- Strawberry Peach Cobbler
- Strawberry White Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pancakes
- Fresh Strawberry Pie
Bakery Style Strawberry Muffins
- 2 cups All-purpose flour ($0.16)
- 1 Tablespoon Baking powder ($0.04)
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda ($0.01)
- 1 teaspoon Ground cinnamon ($0.10)
- ½ teaspoon Ground nutmeg ($0.05)
- ¼ teaspoon Salt ($0.02)
- 1 cup Granulated sugar ($0.22)
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla extract ($0.04)
- ½ cup Sour cream (or plain Greek Yogurt) ($0.40)
- ½ cup Butter, melted ($0.75)
- 1 large Egg ($0.08)
- 2 teaspoons Orange zest *optional ($0.04)
- 1 ¼ cup Fresh Strawberries, diced ($1.00)
- ½ cup Granulated sugar ($0.11)
- ¾ cup All-purpose flour ($0.06)
- ½ teaspoon Ground cinnamon ($0.05)
- 6 Tablespoons Cold butter, cubed ($0.38)
- 1 cup Powdered sugar ($0.23)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract ($0.02)
- 1-2 Tablespoons Milk ($0.01)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F and line a muffin tray with paper liners. Set aside.
- Add the dry ingredients for the strawberry crumble topping to a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Whisk together until blended.
- Add the cubed butter to the dry mix.
- Cut together with two forks or a pastry blender until coarse crumbs appear. Set aside.
- Add your flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Whisk together to combine.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the sugar, vanilla, and sour cream.
- Whisk to combine.
- Add the melted (cooled) butter to the sugar mixture.
- Stir quickly to prevent the butter from hardening.
- Add in the egg and orange zest, if using.
- Mix again to combine.
- Add in the flour mixture.
- Fold together to combine. Stir just until incorporated. The batter will be thick.
- Fold in the strawberry chunks, do not overmix.
- The dough will be thick like soft cookie dough.
- Scoop the batter into muffin cups and fill them ⅔'s of the way full.
- Top with the crumble topping and press down gently to adhere.
- Bake at 450 degrees F for 7 minutes and then lower the temperature to 375 degrees F and continue baking for another 5-7 minutes until a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean.
- Let cool for 5 minutes in the pan before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling completely.
- Whisk together the glaze ingredients in a small bowl until smooth. Drizzle glaze over the top of your cooled muffins. Allow the icing to set. About 10 minutes.
We love strawberry muffins in this house and I really like the sound of the crumb topping.
This is our favorite dessert! My kids love it!
Sara Welch says
Such a great way to start my day; these were easy, delicious and paired perfectly with my morning cup of coffee! Love this recipe!
Yum! Definitely the perfect spring treat. I especially love the texture from the crumble topping and that pink glaze over the top.
What beautiful muffins, that strawberry theme will be perfect for Valentine's day.