Fresh strawberries are abundant in these bakery style muffins. With a fluffy and tender muffin, fresh berries, and a crumble topping, you're going to love these easy strawberry muffins.
Strawberry Muffins with Crumb Topping
These fabulous fresh strawberry muffins are simply incredible. The tops are crunchy, crisp, and sweet and underneath the crunchy exterior is a soft and tender spiced muffin. These middles practically melt in your mouth they're so soft and fluffy!
And of course, every muffin is speckled with the sweet and tangy bursts of fresh strawberries that help pull all of the wonderful flavors and textures together into every amazing bite.
Unlike other muffin recipes out there, this one isn't overly sweet. Yes, there's sweetness, but you feel like it's a sweet Brunch or snack, not a sweet-tooth satisfying dessert. Perfect for a grab-and-go breakfast or easy weekend mornings.
Strawberry Muffin Ingredients
- Flour: Two cups of all-purpose flour will be the base of our muffin batter.
- Leavening Agents: Using 1 tablespoon of baking powder and 1 teaspoon of baking soda we can be sure that our muffins will turn out nice and fluffy.
- Spices: We want 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and ½ teaspoon of nutmeg to help give us a flavorfully spiced muffin in every bite.
- Salt: To enhance the flavors in the muffin recipe, we want ¼ teaspoons of salt to help us out.
- Sugar: 1 cup of granulated sugar will help to give us a sweetened muffin and crisp top edges.
- Vanilla: 2 teaspoons of vanilla will help to enhance the flavors by giving it a nice base for the other flavors to branch off of.
- Sour Cream: You can use ½ cup sour cream as I did or swap it out for Plain Greek yogurt. Regular yogurts will not work as the liquid content will be too high.
- Butter: We will need ½ cup (one stick) of melted butter.
- Egg: We just need 1 egg to help us bind our muffins together.
- Orange Zest: Optionally you can add in 2 teaspoons of orange zest for a tangy fresh flavor addition.
- Strawberries: We need 1 ¼ cups of diced strawberries. Wash and chop them into bite-sized pieces about half an inch big.
- Crumble Topping: A crumb topping made with sugar, flour, cinnamon, and butter.
- Glaze: A sweet drizzled glaze made by using powdered sugar, milk, vanilla, and pink food coloring (optional).
What you’ll need to make this recipe
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
Tips for making strawberry sour cream muffins
Originally I wanted to make these muffins as a treat for Valentine's Day and tell everyone that they were Valentine's Muffins, but after developing the recipe, I just couldn't wait any longer to make them. So now they're just Spring muffins, and I'm okay with that.
These muffins are so simple and easy to make that there's really no massive effort in the prep work. The trickiest part is simply waiting near the oven to adjust the temperature halfway through the baking process.
To do this, you don't open the oven, touch the muffins or anything. All you do is simply turn down the oven heat. Only after ALL of the time has elapsed, should you open the oven and check on the muffins. Then use a toothpick to see if they come out clean. If not, add a minute or two to the baking process.
FAQ's about fresh strawberry muffins
These muffins can last up to a few days if stored properly in the fridge. I recommend eating them within 3-5 days for the best results.
The two baking times is what helps to give us a slight dome shape when baked. It also helps to crisp up the top and crumb topping while giving us an absolutely perfect fluffy muffin inside that's still moist and not at all dry.
How to Make Bakery Style Strawberry Muffins
Make crumble topping and set aside.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F and line a muffin tray with paper liners. Set aside.
In a bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
Add the melted butter to the sugar mixture and then stir quickly to avoid the butter from hardening.
Add in the egg and orange zest, if using, and mix again to combine.
Fold the flour mixture into the sugar and butter mixture, stirring until just incorporated.
Fold in the strawberry chunks, do not overmix. The dough will be thick like soft cookie dough.
Scoop the batter into muffin cups and fill them ⅔'s of the way full.
Top with crumble topping and press down gently to adhere.
Bake at 450 degrees F for 7 minutes and then lower the temperature to 375 degrees F and continue baking for another 5-7 minutes until a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean.
Let cool for 5 minutes in the pan before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling completely.
Drizzle glaze over the top. Let set, and enjoy.
More great recipes to try
- Raspberry Lemon Bundt Cake
- Valentine Cream Puffs With Raspberry Whipped Cream
- Dairy Free Waffles
- Simple Pancake Mix Crepes
- Blueberry Buttermilk Muffins
- Yogurt Banana Split
Bakery Style Strawberry Muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup sour cream or plain Greek Yogurt
- ½ cup melted butter
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoon orange zest *optional
- 1 ¼ cup diced strawberries
- ½ cup sugar
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoon milk
- pink food coloring
- In a bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Cut in the butter until size of coarse crumbs. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F and line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together the sugar, vanilla extract, and sour cream.
- Add the melted butter the sugar mixture, stirring quickly to avoid it hardening. Add in the egg and orange zest (if using) and mix again to combine well.
- Fold in the flour mixture. Stir until just incorporated.
- Gently fold in the strawberry chunks, do not overmix.
- Fill your muffin trays so that the muffin cups are ⅔rds of the way full. The batter will be very thick like soft cookie dough.
- Top with the crumble and bake at 450 degrees F for 7 minutes. Without Removing the muffins, lower the heat to 375 degrees F and continue cooking for another 5-7 minutes.
- Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack and finishing cooling completely. Top with glaze.
- In a bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk until smooth. Adding in just enough milk to make it a drizzling consistency.
- Add in pink food coloring and stir until you get the color desired.
- Drizzle pink glaze over the tops of the strawberry muffins and let set for about 10 minutes before eating. Enjoy.