This is a shake your own ice cream recipe that kids will love! From start to finish, the steps are easy and fun. Keep reading to see how to make your own strawberry mason jar ice cream.Jump to Recipe
Why I love DIY ice cream
I love this recipe so much because its simple, easy and wholesome. You know exactly what’s going into the ice cream mixture and it’s super delicious in the end too. My daughter had a lot of fun making it too!
This would be a great addition to sleepovers, everyone can make their own mason ice cream before a movie, and then afterward create mason jar sundaes to eat before bed! Doesn’t that just sound like fun?
Ingredients to make ice cream
- Fresh strawberries
- Vanilla extract
- Heavy cream
- Pink food coloring *optional
What you’ll need to make this recipe
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
Tips for making homemade strawberry ice cream
You can make this recipe keto friendly by switching the sugar for a keto-friendly alternative.
This egg free ice cream recipe is safe for consumption while still liquid so if after making. Taste it to see if it is sweet enough for you. My daughter remarked that it tastes like frozen yogurt, which is a kid way to say it’s not as sweet as the stuff she’s used to.
If you mix the jars fast you won’t need to continue for a full 3 minutes. Your goal is to mix it well enough that a spoon can dip in and out with the mixture clinging to it well enough that it doesn’t run off.
Over mixing can result in homemade butter- so beware.
I totally get that thought process there, but no- it does not. Leave a little space in the jar though because it helps the ice cream to freeze quickly and correctly.
I recommend using a half pint jar with a wide-mouthed lid because it helps you to get in there and scoop the ice cream when done. Using a larger jar will mean that your ice cream doesn’t freeze as quickly and may not set up if you didn’t shake it right. Too much liquid to air space ratio can make a big difference.
Yes, you can, but you will definitely be able to tell that it was refrozen ice cream if you know what I mean.
How to make strawberry mason jar ice cream
Wash your strawberries and chop them up using a butter knife on a cutting board. (Grownups can use a sharper knife).
Measure and pour your heavy cream into the mason jar.
Add in the sugar.
Now add in the vanilla and food coloring if you want it.
Finally, slide the strawberries into the jar and close the lid tightly.
Shake really good until it’s mixed (about 3 minutes).
Place the jar into the freezer and wait at least 3 hours before eating.
Check out these other tasty treats!
- Play Doh Cookies
- Italian Sodas
- Hidden Rainbow Heart Bundt Cake
- 21 Unicorn Food and Drink Recipes
- Gluten Free Graham Crackers
- Banana Bread with Strawberries
- Ice Cream Cone Brownies
- Gluten Free Graham Cracker Crust
- French Toast Kabob
- Keylime Cookies
Strawberry Mason Jar ICe Cream
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- 1 drop pink food coloring, if desired
- Wash your strawberries and place them on a cutting board. Using a butter knife, chop them up into small pieces. A grown up can help or use a sharper knife.
- Measure your heavy cream and pour it into a mason jar.
- Add your sugar to the jar.
- Add the vanilla and food coloring (if you want it).
- Slide the strawberries into the jar and close the lid nice and tightly.
- Shake the jar really good for about 3 minutes.
- Place the jar in the freezer and let it freeze for at least 3 hours before eating.