Cherry chip cake mix cookies are a delicious and flavor packed treat that only needs a few ingredients and minutes of your time. With soft chewy and tender cookies like this, you'll no doubt please your tastebuds and cravings.
I love cake mix cookies and make them kind pretty often around here. Boxed cake mixes are something that I almost always keep on hand after a good grocery store sale and in cookie form, I have a little more control over portion sizing and control. (Or at least I'd like to think so).
These cherry chip cake cookies are packed full of that awesome flavor and specks of pinkish-red cherry bits like you'd see in the cake. With soft pillowy cookies and a little chewiness to them, they're perfect as is. Of course, adding up to a cup of chocolate chips is always nice too.
🍯 Why This Recipe Works
- Minimal ingredients. With just 4 simple ingredients, you can have a tasty cookie ready to eat in no time.
- Easy to make. Just mix, scoop, and bake. No dough chilling is required. This cookie recipe comes together so fast, it's perfect for last-minute sweets.
- Makes enough to share! One batch makes several cookies that are perfect for sharing with friends and family (or freezing for later).
Boxed cake mix- to make cherry chip cookies from cake mix, you will need the Cherry Chip Flavor. Other flavor mixes will also work to make other flavored cookies.
Flour- Depending upon the size of your boxed cake mix, you may need some additional flour to get the right dough consistency. Please see the notes below for more information.
For specific ingredients and measurements, please see the recipe card below.
Step 1: Preheat your oven to 350F degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or grease it with nonstick cooking spray.
Step 2: In a large bowl combine all of the ingredients and mix until smooth.
Step 3: Using a 2 tablespoon sized scoop, measure out your dough and roll it into balls. Place on the prepared cookie sheet evenly spacing the cookies about 2 inches apart.
Step 4: Bake for 10 minutes in the oven and then let cool for about 5 minutes on the tray before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling.
Step 5: Add frosting and sprinkles for a festive touch, if desired.
🍴 Recipe Tips
Not all cake mix cookie recipes are created equally and if you've tried a few, you may already know what I mean. Some turn out perfectly while others are sticky.
It took me a while to realize that it wasn't the ingredients being used or the order they were being placed in the bowl as some other food bloggers had suggested, it was the size of the cake mix box!
Making this cherry chip mix cookie recipe got a whole lot easier once I had this realization!
Cake mixes are not created equally. Some are 18oz where others are 15oz. This means that recipe results will vary greatly. Adding in ¼ cup of flour to your recipe when it's 15oz will get you the same great-tasting results as you'd expect from a larger box.
These cookies don't spread out too far, so if you want them in small sizes, leave them round on the baking sheet. If you want to frost them like I did, then stick a small square of parchment paper or wax paper over the top of each mound and press down lightly with the bottom of a glass.
You can keep your cherry chip cake mix cookies stored for up to a week or two in an airtight container at room temperature before they start getting stale.
These cookies are completely dairy free! The Betty Crocker box of cherry chip cake mix contains no dairy as a listed ingredient and nothing in this recipe requests it either. Double check ingredient labels just to be sure!
Yes, these cookies can be frozen for up to 3 months in an airtight container. To thaw and eat simply place a few on the counter and wait about 15 minutes for them to come to room temperature.
By adding a little bit of vanilla icing on top or adding a cup of chocolate or white chocolate chips, you can change the flavor and sweetness level while making these cookies that much more irresistible.
❤️ More Delicious Cookie Recipes
If you tried these Cherry Chip Cake Mix Cookies, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and share your feedback in the 📝 comments section below. I would truly appreciate it!
Cherry Chip Cake Mix Cookies
- 1 box (15.25oz) Cherry Chip Cake Mix *See Note ($1.24)
- 2 large Eggs ($0.16)
- ½ cup Vegetable oil ($0.24)
- ¼ cup All purpose flour ($0.02)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together cake mix, flour, eggs, and oil until smooth.
- Scoop with a 2 tablespoon sized cookie scoop and roll into little balls. Place evenly on baking sheet spaced at least 2inches apart.
- Bake for about 10 minutes until the edges are lightly golden brown.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Adjust the recipe when using cake mixes of different sizes. For a 15oz cake mix, add ¼ cup of flour to achieve similar results to a larger box.
- These cookies have minimal spreading. To make smaller cookies, maintain a round shape on the baking sheet.
- When frosting the cookies, flatten each mound by placing a small square of parchment paper or wax paper over it and gently pressing it down with the bottom of a glass.
- Storage: Keep cherry chip cake mix cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for one to two weeks before freshness starts to decline.
- To freeze the cookies, store them in an airtight container for up to three months. Thaw and enjoy by leaving them on the counter for about 15 minutes to reach room temperature.