Cake mix banana bread, sounds crazy right? It's fluffy, sweet, and subtle in flavor and I'm honestly unsure of whether or not it's a dessert or snack.
If you're looking for a lighter textured banana bread that is easy to make and tastes great this banana bread with cake mix recipe is it. Add some frosting, glaze, or eat it as it- you can't go wrong!
It's a sweet snack or treat that everyone will enjoy. For more banana bread recipes, check out my Oreo Banana Bread, Eggless Banana Bread, Pumpkin Banana Bread, and Red Velvet Banana Bread.
Why This Recipe Works
- It's super simple to make! Making traditional banana bread from scratch is easy, but often requires multiple ingredients and steps. This one is 3 ingredients and 3 steps, can't get much easier than that, right?
- It's cheap! A box of cake mix is around $1 and a ripe banana is already on the counter because you're looking for ways to use it up. This recipe is so affordable it's perfect!
- Minimal effort. You wont need to do a lot of measuring or mixing and you'll still end up with a delicious fluffy banana bread in about an hour.
Boxed cake mix- Use a box of cake mix (any flavor). I prefer to use yellow cake mix as it will make the banana flavor more prominent.
Large eggs- To bind the mix together and to keep the bread from crumbling apart, you'll need some eggs.
Ripe bananas- Use ripe bananas to make this dish more moist and flavorful. You'll want to use yellow bananas with brown spots or bananas that are already blackened, as they're the best for baking!
For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
🍽 Equipment Needed
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
- Mixing Bowl
- 8x4 Bread Loaf Pan
- Whisk or electric mixer
Check out how to make cake mix banana bread with these simple step-by-step instructions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 2 8x4 bread loaf pans.
Add all of the ingredients to a large mixing bowl.
Whisk together to combine.
Pour the batter into greased bread pans.
Bake for about 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean.
🍴 Recipe Tips
Use two 8x4 bread loaf pans if you're looking for bread loaves. This will give you two nice loaves, but they won't be as tall as traditional banana bread. Just make sure to grease the pan well so that it doesn't stick!
Feel free to add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, chocolate chips, etc. into the batter to make this recipe more fun and delicious.
You can use a different flavor of boxed cake mix! In fact, a chocolate cake mix banana bread would be incredible! (Just an idea!) Gluten free box mix may work as well (try it and let me know).
Absolutely! Just thaw them before mixing them into the batter and use as directed! You may want to use an electric mixer to help break up any banana chunk. Once thawed, frozen bananas will get extra juices in the freezer bags, toss that in with the solid bananas.
Yes, you can! After your loaf has cooled completely, wrap it well and keep it in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
If you use a dairy free box cake mix, it can be! Some brands (like Duncan Hines, offer dairy free cake mixes. Just check the ingredient label on the back of the box to be sure!
Other delicious banana bread recipes to check out soon
- Banana bread with sour cream
- Cinnamon Crumble Banana Bread
- Carrot Cake Banana Bread
- Cinnamon Swirl Banana Bread
Cake Mix Banana Bread
- Whisk or electric mixer
- 1 box (15.25oz) Yellow cake mix ($1.34)
- 1 ½ cup Ripe bananas (about 2-3) ($0.75)
- 2 large Eggs ($0.16)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 2 8x4 bread loaf pans.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients together.
- Pour the batter into greased bread pans and bake for about 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean.
- Use two 8x4 bread loaf pans if you're looking for bread loaves. This will give you two nice loaves, but they won't be as tall as traditional banana bread. Just make sure to grease the pan well so that it doesn't stick!
- Feel free to add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, chocolate chips, etc. into the batter to make this recipe more fun and delicious.
- You can use (thawed) frozen bananas or fresh ripe bananas for this recipe, both have been tested and turn out well.
- You can use any flavor of boxed cake mix for this recipe including red velvet cake, chocolate, spice cake, etc.
- If you use a dairy free box of cake mix (like Duncan Heins), this recipe will be dairy free. This recipe has not been tested with gluten free boxed cake mixes.
Different Baking Pans
- 9x5 bread loaf pans bake for 40-50 minutes. Other sized loaf pans and those made of different materials will bake differently so keep an eye on them as they get towards the latter part of the baking.
- Standard muffins bake for about 15-18 minutes and mini muffins are done around 12 minutes.
- This banana bread keeps well for up to 5 days in an airtight container at room temperature.
- If desired, you can wrap a loaf well and keep it in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Leave a Reply