Use up leftover macaroni in a new and exciting way. With mac and cheese quesadillas, you can enjoy a crispy, cheesy, and carb-loaded meal that's sure to hit the spot and fill tummies as well.
Using just 2 or 3 ingredients you can have some tasty mac n cheese quesadillas ready in minutes. Enjoy a buttery tortilla packed with your favorite macaroni. Watch as the kid's jaws drop as they stare at the wonderful concoction of deliciousness in front of them.
I love making this recipe with boxed mac and cheese or leftover macaroni, depending on what we have on hand. Homemade macaroni has a bit more "real cheese" taste and helps to hold the tortilla closed as it cooks, but either one works!
Why This Recipe Works
- You can use boxed or homemade mac and cheese. Use what you have on hand for this macaroni quesadilla, and you'll be in a carb-lovers cheesy heaven.
- It's great for repurposing leftovers. Leftover mac and cheese takes on a whole new life in this quesadilla recipe. You'll look forward to leftovers knowing this awaits you.
- It's easy to make. Just load up a tortilla and toast on both sides until warm. This recipe is very simple and basic, making it perfect for a quick bite to eat.
Mac and cheese- You will need some already prepared macaroni and cheese for the filling. It can be fridge cold or warmed before use.
Butter- This is for will give us a nice golden color on the tortillas and help to prevent sticking to the pan..
Flour tortillas- You can use any type of tortilla possible, but flour tortillas will taste best.
🍽 Equipment Needed
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
Check out how to make a mac and cheese quesadilla with these simple step-by-step instructions:
Add your butter to a skillet over medium heat.
Cook until the butter has melted.
Add a flour tortilla to the pan.
Arrange the prepared mac and cheese onto one half of the tortilla, in an even layer (as much as possible). Leave the other half blank. If desired, add some additional cheese over the top.
Fold the blank tortilla half over the filled half.
Top the skillet with a lid.
Allow the tortilla to cook for about 2 minutes so that the insides warm up.
Remove the lid and flip the tortilla once the bottom is a nice golden color. Cook until the other side is golden as well.
Serve the quesadilla on a plate and slice in half before serving.
Adding additional cheese into the recipe is perfectly fine and delicious. Use a cheese you think will pair well with the flavor of your macaroni.
My husband had me add mini pepperoni to his quesadillas because he swore it was going to taste good, and he wasn't wrong. Although I wish there was a marinara dipping sauce for them it was a pretty great combination of flavors. So if you're looking for a fun spin on this recipe, that could be it!
🍴 Recipe Tips
When making these macaroni and cheese quesadillas I find that it helps when the macaroni being used isn't fridge cold. If you pre-warm it up in the microwave until it's at least room temperature, the recipe goes pretty quickly.
Otherwise, you may need to cover your skillet with a lid and turn the heat to low to cook the noodles inside before turning up the heat to crisp the outside to a nice golden brown.
These quesadillas are best served warm and fresh off the skillet. While you can keep a cooked quesadilla in an airtight container in the fridge for up to about 3 or 4 days, they will be softer and somewhat soggy by the time you get to eat them.
Daiya brand mac and cheese or Annies Vegan mac and cheese would actually work wonderfully inside of a quesadilla, but you'll want to make sure you use dairy-free butter and double-check the tortillas for allergen warnings as well if you're trying to avoid dairy.
More pasta recipes to try
- Cream Cheese Alfredo Sauce
- Easy Cheeseburger Macaroni Skillet
- Cream Cheese Bacon Pasta Bake
- Zucchini Penne Pasta
Mac and Cheese Quesadilla
- 1 Flour tortilla (standard size) ($0.25)
- 1 Tablespoon Butter ($0.09)
- ½ cup Prepared mac and cheese ($0.00)
- Sliced cheese *optional
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt your butter.
- Add your tortilla to the pan and then arrange the prepared mac and cheese on half of the tortilla, leaving half of it empty.
- If desired, add sliced cheese over the top of the mac and cheese.
- Fold the empty side of the tortilla over the mac and cheese and cover the skillet with a lid.
- Allow to cook for 2 minutes so that the insides warm up.
- Remove lid and once the bottom of the quesadilla is golden brown, flip and repeat cooking on the other side until it's golden as well.
- Slide the quesadilla onto a plate and serve warm.