Use up leftover macaroni in a new and exciting way. With mac and cheese quesadillas you can enjoy a crispy, cheesy, and carb-loaded meal that’s sure to hit the spot and fill tummies as well.
Mac n Cheese Quesadillas
Using just 2 or 3 ingredients you can have some tasty quesadillas ready in minutes. Enjoy a buttery tortilla packed with your favorite macaroni. Watch as the kid’s jaws drop as they stare at the wonderful concoction of deliciousness in front of them.
I love making this recipe with boxed mac and cheese or leftover macaroni depending on what we have on hand. Homemade macaroni has a bit more “real cheese” taste and helps to hold the tortilla closed as it cooks, but wither one works! Use what you have on hand and you’ll be in a carb-lovers cheesy heaven.
Macaroni quesadilla ingredients
- Prepared macaroni and cheese
- Flour tortillas
What you’ll need to make this recipe
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
- Measuring cup
- Butter knife
Tips for making macaroni and cheese quesadillas
I find that it helps when the macaroni being used isn’t fridge cold. If you pre-warm it up in the microwave until it’s at least room temperature, the recipe goes pretty quickly. Otherwise, you may need to cover your skillet with a lid and turn the heat to low to cook the noodles inside before turning up the heat to crisp the outside to a nice golden brown.
Adding additional cheese into the recipe is perfectly fine and delicious. Use a cheese you think will pair well with the flavor of your macaroni.
My husband had me add mini pepperoni to his quesadillas because he swore it was going to taste good, and he wasn’t wrong.. although I wish there was a marinara dipping sauce for them it was a pretty great combination of flavors. So if you’re looking for a fun spin on this recipe, that could be it!
FAQs and Recipe Tips
These quesadillas are best served warm and fresh off the skillet. While you can keep a cooked quesadilla in an airtight container in the fridge for up to about 3 or 4 days, they will be softer and somewhat soggy by the time you get to eat them.
Daiya brand mac and cheese or Annies Vegan mac and cheese would actually work wonderfully inside of a quesadilla, but you’ll want to make sure you use dairy-free butter and double-check the tortillas for allergen warnings as well if you’re trying to avoid dairy.
How to make mac and cheese quesadilla
Melt your butter in a skillet over medium heat.
Add a flour tortilla to the pan and arrange the prepared mac and cheese onto one half of the tortilla, in an even layer (as much as possible). Leave the other half blank.
If desired, add some additional cheese over the top.
Fold the blank tortilla half over the filled half and top the skillet with a lid.
Allow the tortilla to cook for about 2 minutes so that the insides warm up.
Remove the lid and flip the tortilla once the bottom is a nice golden color. Cook until the other side is golden as well.
Serve the quesadilla on a plate and slice in half before serving.
More cheesy recipes to try
- Cream Cheese Alfredo Sauce
- Instant Pot Kraft Mac and Cheese
- 3 Ingredient Spinach Artichoke Mac and Cheese
- Easy Cheeseburger Macaroni Skillet
- Mac and Cheese Tuna Casserole
- Cream Cheese Bacon Pasta Bake
Mac and Cheese Quesadilla
- 1 flour tortilla (standard size)
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup prepared mac and cheese
- Sliced cheese *optional
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt your butter.
- Add your tortilla to the pan and then arrange the prepared mac and cheese on half of the tortilla, leaving half of it empty.
- If desired, add sliced cheese over the top of the mac and cheese.
- Fold the empty side of the tortilla over the mac and cheese and cover the skillet with a lid.
- Allow to cook for 2 minutes so that the insides warm up.
- Remove lid and once the bottom of the quesadilla is golden brown, flip and repeat cooking on the other side until it's golden as well.
- Slide the quesadilla onto a plate and serve warm.