If you've never had an air fried peanut butter and jelly sandwich before, you're in for a real treat. Crispy buttered bread filled with warm and melty peanut butter and your favorite jelly in every bite.
Making air fryer peanut butter and jelly sandwiches is a great way to put a classic spin on a classic sandwich. Bring back the nostalgia of youth with your favorite comforting sandwich but add a fun twist to make it feel more extravagant.
Making a PB&J in the air fryer is sure to become one of your favorite ways to make this tasty lunch recipe.
For more PB&J fun, try these Peanut Butter Jelly Overnight Oats or Peanut Butter Jelly Mason Jar Ice Cream.
Why This Recipe Works
- It's quick. This recipe doesn't take much time to make so it works as a great option for when you're in a hurry or want food fast.
- It's simple. We use only 4 ingredients and you can already guess 3 of them as peanut butter, jelly, and bread. The steps are as simple as spreading the condiments and flipping a sandwich over to the other side. This is easy enough that a kid can do it with adult supervision.
- It's delicious. Nothing beats a classic and timeless sandwich like the PB&J but making air fried peanut butter and jelly sure does help to add a few more reasons to love it.
Sandwich bread- You can use any sliced bread of choice. We like to use sliced white sandwich bread, but you can just as easily use whole wheat or low carb bread if that's what you'd prefer.
Jelly- Use your favorite jams, jellies, or preserves. We like to keep it simple with strawberry jam or grape jelly.
Peanut butter- Creamy peanut butter is our favorite but feel free to use chunky peanut butter or any nut butter of choice.
Butter- This is what is used to get the bread to taste great and become a wonderful golden color as it cooks.
For specific quantities, see the recipe card below.
🍽 Equipment Needed
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
- Air Fryer 6qt or 8qt
Check out how to make air fried peanut butter and jelly with these simple step-by-step instructions:
Lay out 4 slices of bread and then spread butter over each side.
Spread jelly on the inside half of that bread and place it butter side down into the basket.
Spread peanut butter on the other slice of bread and place it down onto the jelly, blank side up. Spread butter over the top of the bread.
Place the basket back into the air fryer and set it to 400 degrees F for 6 minutes. Flip the sandwiches over after 3 minutes.
Remove sandwiches from air fryer and serve immediately.
Jelly. You can use any jam, jelly, or preserves to make this sandwich. We like to use grape jelly because it's our kid's favorite but strawberry is also delicious!
Peanut butter. Creamy peanut butter, chunky peanut butter, or any other alternative nut butters (like almond butter or sunflower butter) will work great in this recipe.
Bread. My kids are big fans of the cheap sliced sandwich bread but feel free to use any bread you want. Thicker bread slices (like homemade bread) may require a little longer cooking time (about 1-2 minutes)
🍴 Recipe Tips
No greasing needed
Thanks to the butter on the bread, you will not need to grease the air fryer basket before use.
Flip the sandwich
Flipping the sandwich over will make sure that both sides of the bread get evenly toasted. Make sure that the top slice of bread is as toasted as you want it to be because once flipped. It will not darken any further.
🥗 Side Dishes
We like to serve out air fried PB&J with green grapes, cheese sticks, or go gurt tubes and juice. You can serve yours with any of your usual favorites.
Yes! Just make your peanut butter and jelly sandwich as per usual but make sure to butter the outsides of the bread like you would grilled cheese. Softened butter works best. Then air fry until golden brown on both sides. Yum!
Your sandwich should only take about 4-5 minutes to become perfectly golden and crispy on both sides. You can adjust the time as needed based on your wants.
Jelly is made from fruit juice, whereas jam is made from the fruit and its Juice. For example, you often see pieces of strawberries and their seeds in strawberry jam, but you don't see chunks of grapes in grape jelly. This is because grape jelly is made with the juice, and not the fruit.
More great air fryer recipes to check out soon
- Air Fryer Chicken Tacos
- What is an Air Fryer? Everything You Need to Know
- Air Fryer Chicken Breasts
- Air Fryer Pizza Rolls
Air Fried Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich
- Air Fryer 6qt or 8qt
- 4 slices Sandwich bread ($0.16)
- 3 Tablespoons Jelly ($0.33)
- 3 Tablespoons Peanut butter ($0.15)
- 2 Tablespoons Butter, softened ($0.18)
- Lay out 4 slices of bread and then spread butter over one side of each.
- Spread jelly on the inside half of that bread and place it butter side down into the basket.
- Spread peanut butter on the other slice of bread and place it down onto the jelly, blank side up. Spread butter over the top of the bread.
- Place the basket back into the air fryer and set it to 400 degrees F for 6 minutes. Flip the sandwiches over after 3 minutes.
- Remove sandwiches from air fryer and serve immediately.
- Two sandwiches can fit into an 8quart air fryer comfortably.
- You can use any of your favorite nut butters or jellys.
- You do not have to preheat your air fryer before use.
Lynn Huff says
OMG! Potbelly’s used to make this PBJ and had to stop when peanut allergies reared their ugly heads.
Made my hubby’s with grape jelly and mine with strawberry preserves.
Opened them up and put in banana slices before we devoured them.
My Breville multi function automatically preheats and I had set it for 3 min to turn them over. Because of the preheating, the top turned golden brown about half way thru (1:40 left). The other side browned up just exactly as the timer turned off.
FABULOUS! Thanks so much.
Glad you liked it!