Get ready for this delicious air fryer turkey sandwich to put a modern twist on a classic sandwich melt. Made with melty cheese, deli meat, and crisp buttered bread, this air fryer turkey melt is one you'll crave for a long time.
We love the air fryer and it is so perfect for summer because it's fast and doesn't heat up the house. One of our favorite things to cook in it is sandwiches- from an Air Fried Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich to an Air Fryer Grilled Ham and Cheese, everything tastes great!
This air fryer sandwich melt is right up there in our top favorites. It'll be love at first bite and it's not hard to see why. Turkey and cheese are a classic duo but when they get warmed up, it's nothing but comfort in every bite.
Why This Recipe Works
- It's really fast! From start to finish you can enjoy this sandwich in less than 10 minutes. The hands-on time is roughly 2 to 3 minutes and then there are about 5 minutes of patience required as the air fryer does its thing.
- Easy/minimal prep work. This is exactly like making grilled cheese, except you're adding meat to make it an air fryer turkey and cheese sandwich. If you can make one, you can definitely make the other!
- Evenly toasted bread. Making grilled cheese in the oven, on a griddle, or in the microwave can result in unevenly toasted bread. The air fryer cooks the bread more evenly than any other method I've ever seen, giving you the most picture-perfect results every time.
- Sandwich bread
- Turkey meat (leftover turkey slices or deli meat)
- Sliced cheese
For specific quantities, see the recipe card below.
🍽 Equipment Needed
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
- Air fryer
- Butter knife
Check out how to make an air fryer turkey sandwich with these simple step-by-step instructions:
Spread your butter on one side of bread.
Place it butter side down inside of the air fryer basket.
Add a slice of cheese over the bread.
Add your turkey meat on top of the cheese.
Add the remaining slice of cheese.
Spread butter on one side of the remaining bread and place it butter side up on the sandwich.
Air fry for 5 minutes at 360 degrees F, flipping the sandwich over after 3 minutes.
🍴 Recipe Tips
The top piece of bread can "fly off" the sandwich during the first half of the cooking process. This is because of the circulated air pushing around inside of the basket. Anything that isn't well secured can fly around. This doesn't always happen, but it is worth noting as a possibility.
You can secure the bread with toothpicks or by placing a small trivet over the top to hold the bread down if desired. Check on the sandwich after 3 minutes to make sure the bread hasn't flipped upwards. If it has, you may want to cook for an additional 2 minutes because the bread will not be toasted as a result of the flipping.
When you flip your sandwich at the halfway point make sure that the bread on top is the shade of color that you want because once flipped it will not darken anymore.
When I make this air fryer turkey sandwich I like two use two slices of cheese on either side of the meat so that it can hold the bread to the meat and not cause sandwich contents to slide around when being handled.
🥗 Side Dishes
You can serve your sandwich with any of your favorite sandwich side dishes like potato chips, fresh fruits, or cut vegetables. We like to serve this grilled turkey and cheese air fryer sandwich with anything that we have on hand. (Usually strawberries and grapes).
Yes, deli meat is fine and safe to place into the air fryer basket and will heat up wonderfully as it does so. You can use any number of deli meats for this sandwich if desired.
The most popular choices include American cheese, cheddar, swiss, provolone, mozzarella, or Colby Jack. We usually prefer Muenster cheese because it's a good melting cheese that isn't too strong in flavor.
Your sandwich will only take about 5-8 minutes at 360 degrees F depending on how dark you want it to be. Just make sure to flip the sandwich over about halfway through the cooking process.
More great air fryer recipes to check out soon
- Air Fryer Frozen Waffles
- Air Fryer Chicken Tacos
- Easy Air Fryer Mini Pizzas
- Air Fryer Tortilla Pizza
- Air Fryer Chicken Breasts
- Air Fryer Tostadas
Air Fryer Turkey Sandwich
- Butter knife
- 2 slices Sandwich bread ($0.08)
- 4 slices Turkey deli meat (or leftover turkey) ($0.61)
- 1 Tablespoon Softened butter ($0.09)
- 2 slice Cheese (American, Swiss, cheddar, Munster, etc.) ($0.62)
- Spread your butter on one side of bread. Place it butter side down inside of the air fryer basket.
- Add a slice of cheese over the bread.
- Add your turkey meat on top of the cheese.
- Add the remaining slice of cheese.
- Spread butter on one side of the remaining bread and place it butter side up on the sandwich.
- Air fry for 5 minutes at 360 degrees F, flipping the sandwich over after 3 minutes.
- Two sandwiches can fit into an 8quart air fryer comfortably.
- You can use any cheese slice options including cheddar, swiss, provolone, or Munster (as examples).
- You do not have to preheat your air fryer before use.
- You can swap out the butter for mayo if you like your grilled cheeses with mayo on the bread.