Fresh, crisp, and delicious apple slices topped with your favorite spreads and toppings like granola, sprinkles, chocolate, or fruit, make these no bake apple donuts an irresistible treat.
Apple donuts are a healthier treat and one my kids constantly beg for and fight over. They love the variety of toppings as I'm sure your kids will as well. This kid-friendly no-cook recipe is a perfect snack and one they can make themselves.
With so many varieties and options, this treat can never truly be boring. Every apple brings several slices of possibilities to the table, quite literally.
Getting your kids to eat fruit has never been this easy and with just a few minutes of prep to assemble this no bake snack, you'll feel it was time well spent. Of course, if you don't mind the mess, you can have the kids assemble their own donuts to make even more unique creations.
- Peanut butter
- Cream cheese
- Mini marshmallows
- Banana slices
- Fresh sliced strawberries
- Mini chocolate chips
For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
🍽 Equipment Needed
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife
- Round cutter
- Butter knife
- Paper towels
Check out how to make no bake apple donuts with these simple step-by-step instructions:
Wash apples and slice into ¼-1/2 inch thick slices, vertically across the apple.
Discard tops and bottom pieces.
Use a small round shape to help cut out the center of the apples, making them look more like round donuts.
Pat the tops of the donuts with a paper towel to remove moisture.
Add your spread of choice over the top of the apple slice.
Add your desired toppings over the spread.
Serve and enjoy.
🍴 Recipe Tips
With so many wonderful and creative possibilities for these healthy apple donuts at your fingertips, you can choose just how healthy or as indulgent as you want. Choosing lower-fat or lower sugar options is a great way to make these apples a better-for-you option.
Less fatty peanut butter spreads, higher protein levels, etc. You can control what you want or don't want and every bite is sure to still taste great!
Finding a small round cutter may prove to be troublesome but you can use a spoon and dig out the centers or do as I did and use a clean medicine measuring cup that comes with those bottles of child's Tylenol. You just want the centers removed, to remove the core and seeds, but in a circle formation so that the apple slices look more like donuts.
Make sure to pat the tops of the apple slices dry before placing any spread on them. Apples are naturally juicy and the wetness will cause some toppings to seize and others to fall off or not spread well. A slightly dried top is a huge game changer and makes applying the toppings significantly easier.
You can use any apple variety for these apple fruit donuts! We like our apples crisp and usually opt for Granny Smith or Gala apples as they bring the right amount of sweet and tart to the table for pairing with toppings. Red Delicious apples may be a bit softer in texture but they can still work if not overripe.
These apples will only last a few minutes (if that) after being prepped before they begin to brown. If you plan on making them a few hours in advance, dip the donut slices in a lemon water mixture before patting dry and assembling. Then store covered on a plate in the fridge. These apples are best eaten fresh and as soon as possible so don't wait too long to enjoy!
More great kid recipes to try
- Peanut Butter Jelly Spider Sandwiches
- Strawberry Mason Jar Ice Cream
- Simple Apple Nachos Recipe
- PBJ On A Stick
- Play Doh Cookies (Colorful Cookie Dough)
- Golden Grahams Smores Snack Mix
No Bake Apple Donuts
- 2 Apples ($1.78)
- 2 tablespoon Peanut butter ($0.04)
- 2 tablespoon Cream cheese ($0.10)
- 2 tablespoon Frosting ($0.04)
- 2 tablespoon Nutella ($0.02)
- 1 tablespoon Sprinkles ($0.21)
- ¼ cup Mini marshmallows ($0.15)
- ½ Banana slices ($0.14)
- 2-3 Fresh sliced strawberries ($0.15)
- 1 tablespoon Mini chocolate chips ($0.01)
- 1 tablespoon Granola ($0.02)
- Wash your apple before slicing vertically into several slices about ¼-1/2 inch thick.
- Remove the top and bottom portion of the apple and discard. Use a round cutter to remove the center of each circle, making it take a donut shape. Discard the centers and seeds.
- Pat the tops of the remaining sliced apples with a paper towel.
- Spread your cream cheese, frosting, peanut butter, or Nutella over the tops of apple slices.
- Top with desired toppings like marshmallows, chocolate chips, or fresh fruit slices.
- Serve and enjoy!