Fresh, crisp, and delicious apple slices topped with your favorite spreads and toppings like granola, sprinkles, chocolate, or fruit, make these no bake apple donuts an irresistible treat.
Apple donuts are a healthier treat, and one that my kids constantly beg for and fight over. They love the variety of toppings as I'm sure your kids will as well. This kid-friendly no-cook recipe is a perfect snack and one they can make themselves.
These sliced apple donuts are a creative and enjoyable way to savor the flavors and appearance of donuts without the need for baking or frying. Appreciated for their freshness and versatility, you can let your creativity run wild with different toppings and spreads.
Try everything from classic peanut butter and chocolate chips to yogurt and sprinkles. The possibilities are endless, making them ideal for kids and adults alike.
For more kid snacks, check out our Golden Grahams Smores Snack Mix.
🍯 Why This Recipe Works
- Makes fruit more fun to eat. Getting your kids to eat fruit has never been this easy, and with just a few minutes of prep to assemble this no bake snack, you'll feel it was time well spent.
- The kids can create their own "donuts." If you don't mind the mess, you can have the kids assemble their own donuts to make even more unique creations.
- Unlimited combinations. With so many varieties and options, this treat can never truly be boring. Every apple brings several slices of possibilities to the table, quite literally.
Apples- You can use any variety of apples depending on what you like best or have on hand.
You can choose any number of these toppings and spreads for unique and delicious apple donuts that everyone can enjoy.
- Peanut butter
- Cream cheese
- Mini marshmallows
- Banana slices
- Fresh sliced strawberries
- Mini chocolate chips
For specific ingredients and measurements, please see the recipe card below.
With so many creative opportunities available for these apple donuts, you have the flexibility to customize them to your desired level of healthiness or indulgence. Opting for lower-fat or lower-sugar ingredients is an excellent approach to enhance the healthiness of these apple treats.
Less fatty peanut butter spreads, higher protein levels, etc. You can control what you want or don't want and every bite is sure to still taste great!
Step 1: Wash apples and slice into ¼-1/2 inch thick slices, vertically across the apple.
Step 2: Discard tops and bottom pieces.
Step 3: Use a small round shape to help cut out the center of the apples, making them look more like round donuts.
Step 4: Pat the tops of the donuts with a paper towel to remove moisture.
Step 5: Add your spread of choice over the top of the apple slice.
Step 6: Add your desired toppings over the spread.
Serve and enjoy.
🍴 Recipe Tips
Finding a small round cutter may prove to be troublesome but you can use a spoon and dig out the centers or do as I did and use a clean medicine measuring cup that comes with those bottles of child's Tylenol. You just want the centers removed, to remove the core and seeds, but in a circle formation so that the apple slices look more like donuts.
Make sure to pat the tops of the apple slices dry before placing any spread on them. Apples are naturally juicy and the wetness will cause some toppings to seize and others to fall off or not spread well. A slightly dried top is a huge game changer and makes applying the toppings significantly easier.
You can use any apple variety for these apple fruit donuts! We like our apples crisp and usually opt for Granny Smith or Gala apples as they bring the right amount of sweet and tart to the table for pairing with toppings. Red Delicious apples may be a bit softer in texture but they can still work if not overripe.
These apples will only last a few minutes (if that) after being prepped before they begin to brown. If you plan on making them a few hours in advance, dip the donut slices in a lemon water mixture before patting dry and assembling. Then store covered on a plate in the fridge. These apples are best eaten fresh and as soon as possible so don't wait too long to enjoy!
This is a treat best served soon after being made. I recommend serving them within an hour or two for best results as apples will turn brown and the toppings may begin to slide off due to the moisture.
❤️ More Delicious Kid Recipes
If you tried this No Bake Apple Donuts, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and share your feedback in the 📝 comments section below. I would truly appreciate it!
No Bake Apple Donuts
- 2 Apples ($1.78)
- 2 Tablespoons Peanut butter ($0.04)
- 2 Tablespoons Cream cheese ($0.10)
- 2 Tablespoons Frosting ($0.04)
- 2 Tablespoons Nutella ($0.02)
- 1 Tablespoon Sprinkles ($0.21)
- ¼ cup Mini marshmallows ($0.15)
- ½ Banana slices ($0.14)
- 2-3 Fresh sliced strawberries ($0.15)
- 1 Tablespoon Mini chocolate chips ($0.01)
- 1 Tablespoon Granola ($0.02)
- Wash your apple before slicing vertically into several slices about ¼-1/2 inch thick.
- Remove the top and bottom portion of the apple and discard. Use a round cutter to remove the center of each circle, making it take a donut shape. Discard the centers and seeds.
- Pat the tops of the remaining sliced apples with a paper towel.
- Spread your cream cheese, frosting, peanut butter, or Nutella over the tops of apple slices.
- Top with desired toppings like marshmallows, chocolate chips, or fresh fruit slices.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Use a small round cutter, spoon, or medicine measuring cup to remove apple centers.
- Pat the apple slice tops dry before adding toppings for better adhesion.
- Opt for crisp apple varieties like Granny Smith or Gala.
- To prevent browning, dip apple slices in a lemon-water mixture if making in advance.
- Enjoy the apples fresh for the best taste.