This overnight tater tot casserole is packed with flavor and super easy to make. Make it the night before a holiday or early morning and wake up to a cooked breakfast that’s both hearty and filling.
Easy Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
This casserole is loaded with veggies, meats, cheeses, tater tots, and eggs giving you a full flavor dish with little effort to make.
We love waking up to easy breakfasts around here, especially on holidays because I am NOT a morning person. I’m more of a mid/early afternoon person so Brunch is definitely more my thing. But when it’s an overnight meal like this or my Cinnabon Clone Cinnamon Rolls, I can handle the morning prep because it’s as easy as preheating the oven.
Ingredients for Egg Bake with Tater Tots
- Pork Sausage
- Bell Pepper
- Monterey Jack Cheese
- Cheddar Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Black Pepper
- Frozen Tater Tots
- Green Onions
What you’ll need to make this recipe
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
Tips for Making Overnight Breakfast Casserole with Tater Tots
If you want to make this recipe the same day and not wait the 8+ hours you’d be sleeping then you certainly can do that by thawing the tater tots first. I recommend laying them out flat in the baking dish as you preheat the oven so that they can warm up and thaw before being turned into a casserole. You could also just cook them like normal.
If you do not cook the tater tots beforehand or do not thaw them then you will need to extend your baking time. This is because as they thaw and bake, they will release liquid which then causes the moisture ratio in the casserole to go up and take longer to cook to a safe temp. Remember you want the eggs cooked to 165 degrees F before eating.
You can use regular tater tots or even tater tot coins or hashbrown sticks if you have them available near you as they will all cook up the same once thawed.
How to Make Overnight Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
Grease a 9×13 baking dish and then set aside.
Brown the sausage, onions, and bell pepper in a skillet on the stove. Make sure to crumble the sausage into smaller pieces as you go.
Set the mixture aside and return your pan to the stove. Cook you bacon and then chop it into small bits, draining grease as needed.
Add in the cooked meat and veggies once cooled and stir to combine.
In the bottom of your baking dish, arrange the frozen tater tots into an even layer on the bottom.
Pour your egg mixture over the top and sprinkle the remaining cheeses on top.
Cover the baking dish and place it into the fridge overnight.
When ready to cook in the morning, let the pan sit on the counter as the oven preheats to 350 degrees F.
Sprinkle the green onions on if desired. Bake covered with foil for 30 minutes. Remove foil and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
Let cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Top with salsa if desired.
More great recipes to try
Overnight Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- 1 cup cooked bacon, chopped
- 16 oz pork sausage
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 bell pepper, diced (any color)
- 1 cup milk (or half and half or heavy cream)
- 1 cup Monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 8 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 6 cups tater tots, frozen (24 ounces)
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- salsa for serving *optional
- Grease a 9×13 baking dish. Set aside.
- In a skillet on the stove, brown your sausage with onions and bell peppers. Make sure to crumble sausage into smaller pieces as you go.
- Set mixture aside and return pan to stove. Cook bacon and chop into small bits, draining grease as needed.
- In a bowl, whisk together the milk, 1/2 cup of each cheese, sour cream, and eggs until well combined. Stir in seasonings.
- Add in the cooked meats and veggies once cooled. Stir to combine.
- In the bottom of a baking dish, arrange your frozen tater tots into an even layer.
- Pour the egg and meat mixture over the top of the tater tots.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top.
- Cover the baking dish and place in the fridge overnight.
- When ready to cook, let the pan sit on the counter as the oven preheats to 350 degrees F.
- Sprinkle on green onions if desired. Bake covered in foil for 30 minutes and then remove the foil and continue cooking uncovered for 30 more minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving. Top with salsa if desired.