These banana orange muffins are a great snack or breakfast treat. Made with ripe bananas, orange zest, and extract, you end up with moist muffins packed with flavor in every bite.
If you've never thought of combining two fruits into one muffin, you may never stop thinking about it again. Orange and banana muffins are the two flavors that were made perfectly for one another and this batch of muffins will not last long.
With a deliciously moist banana muffin and the wonderful aroma and tangy taste of orange in every bite, you're going to feel that these are perfect for breakfast, and that's okay! Enjoy orange and banana even more in this Chocolate Orange Banana Bread.
Why This Recipe Works
- They're great snacks. I want to think that because there are two fruits represented, these citrus banana muffins are healthy enough to count as a good breakfast food, but honestly, that's just because I can't wait until snack time before grabbing another muffin from the tray.
- Easy to find ingredients. We do use some flavored extract for added flavor, but almost all of the ingredients in this recipe are easy to find within your pantry like flour, sugar, baking soda, etc.
- Simple steps. Follow along with this recipe for some basic steps that anyone can do. Mash banana, mix, and bake.
Ripe Bananas- You'll need some ripe bananas for this recipe. They'll give a natural sweetness and flavor to every muffin. The darker the banana, the sweeter it will be.
Canola Oil- Use canola oil or vegetable oil, depending on what you have on hand.
Baking Soda- This is a leavening agent, meaning that it will help your muffins to puff up and rise as they bake.
Salt- This is a natural flavor enhancer.
Extracts- You will need orange extract and vanilla extract for added flavor enhancement.
Egg- Use an egg as a binder for the recipe. This will keep your muffins from becoming too crumbly.
Sugar- Adding granulated sugar to your muffins will make them sweeter and more tender too.
All-Purpose Flour- You will need flour for the gluten structure in the muffins.
Orange Zest- Add in some orange zest for a fresher orange taste.
🍽 Equipment Needed
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
Check out how to make banana orange muffins with these simple step-by-step instructions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line your muffin tray with paper liners or spray well with cooking spray.
In a large bowl, mash your ripe bananas.
Stir in the canola oil.
Mix in your baking soda, orange extract, egg, sugar, and salt until well mixed.
Stir in the flour until just mixed and no flour streaks remain.
Scoop the batter into the muffin trays filling them about ⅔s of the way full.
Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean.
Let cool for 5 minutes in the pan before transferring the muffins to a wire rack to cool completely.
🍴 Recipe Tips
The orange flavor in these muffins is subtle but noticeable. If you allow the muffins to sit for a few hours or overnight, the orange flavor actually becomes stronger too!
So for that reason, I do not recommend adding any more orange flavoring into the muffins until you know what you're getting yourself into. This can help from making them overwhelmingly orange.
For a richer flavor, you can use melted butter in place of the oil. But for a slightly healthier muffin, coconut oil works great too. Just note that the coconut oil would give a subtle coconut flavor to the muffins giving you a more tropical flavored muffin in the end. Which, is also a very tasty treat.
These muffins are good for 3-5 days if stored in an airtight container at room temperature but for the best flavor I recommend eating within 2 days.
Absolutely! Just thaw the bananas first so that they are easier to mash and toss out any of the liquid that comes from them as that will make the batter too wet. Then mash and use as directed.
More great banana recipes to try
- Banana Nut Bagels
- Banana Cornbread
- Cinnamon Swirl Banana Bread
- Carrot Cake Banana Bread
- Fruity Pebbles Banana Bread
Banana Orange Muffins
- 1 ½ cups mashed bananas, about 2-3 ripe ($.75)
- ⅓ cup canola oil ($0.16)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda ($0.01)
- ¼ teaspoon salt ($0.02)
- 1 teaspoon orange extract ($0.02)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla ($0.02)
- 1 large egg ($0.08)
- ½ cup sugar ($0.11)
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour ($0.12)
- 1 tablespoon orange zest ($0.04)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a muffin pan with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash bananas.
- Stir in canola oil.
- Mix in the baking soda, orange zest, and salt.
- Mix in the vanilla, orange extract, egg, and sugar until smooth.
- Stir in flour until no flour streaks remain.
- Scoop into muffin pan filling each one about ⅔rd of the way full.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean.
- Let cool for 5 minutes in the pan before transferring to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.