These banana orange muffins are a great snack or breakfast treat. Made with ripe bananas, orange zest, and extract, you end up with moist muffins packed with flavor in every bite.
If you've never thought of combining two fruits into one muffin, you may never stop thinking about it again. Orange and banana muffins are the two flavors that were made perfectly for one another, and this batch of muffins will not last long.
With a deliciously moist banana muffin and the wonderful aroma and tangy taste of orange in every bite, you're going to feel that these are perfect for breakfast, and that's okay! Enjoy orange and banana even more in this Chocolate Orange Banana Bread.
🍯 Why This Recipe Works
- They're great snacks. I want to think that because there are two fruits represented, these citrus banana muffins are healthy enough to count as a good breakfast food, but honestly, that's just because I can't wait until snack time before grabbing another muffin from the tray.
- Easy to find ingredients. We do use some flavored extract for added flavor, but almost all of the ingredients in this recipe are easy to find within your pantry like flour, sugar, baking soda, etc.
- Simple steps. Follow along with this recipe for some basic steps that anyone can do. Mash banana, mix, and bake.
Ripe Bananas- You'll need some ripe bananas for this recipe. They'll give a natural sweetness and flavor to every muffin. The darker the banana, the sweeter it will be.
Baking Soda- This is a leavening agent, meaning that it will help your muffins to puff up and rise as they bake.
Extracts- You will need orange extract and vanilla extract for added flavor enhancement.
Sugar- Adding granulated sugar to your muffins will make them sweeter and more tender too.
Orange Zest- Add in some orange zest for a fresher orange taste.
For specific ingredients and measurements, please see the recipe card below.
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line your muffin tray with paper liners or spray well with cooking spray.
Step 2: Peel your bananas and add them to a large mixing bowl.
Step 3: Mash until no large chunks remain.
Step 4: Add in the vegetable oil.
Step 5: Stir together until combined.
Step 6: Add in the baking soda, salt, and orange zest.
Step 7: Mix well until distributed.
Step 8: Add in the sugar, vanilla extract, orange extract, and salt.
Step 9: Stir until well mixed.
Step 10: Add in the flour.
Step 11: Stir until no flour streaks remain. Do not overmix.
Step 12: Scoop the batter into the muffin trays filling them about ⅔s of the way full.
Step 13: Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean.
Step 14: Let cool for 5 minutes in the pan before transferring the muffins to a wire rack to cool completely.
🍴 Recipe Tips
The orange flavor in these muffins is subtle but noticeable. If you allow the muffins to sit for a few hours or overnight, the orange flavor actually becomes stronger too!
So for that reason, I do not recommend adding any more orange flavoring into the muffins until you know what you're getting yourself into. This can help from making them overwhelmingly orange.
For a richer flavor, you can use melted butter in place of the oil. But for a slightly different twist, coconut oil works great too, imparting a subtle coconut flavor to the muffins.
These muffins are good for 3-5 days if stored in an airtight container at room temperature but for the best flavor I recommend eating within 2 days.
Absolutely! Just thaw the bananas first so that they are easier to mash and toss out any of the liquid that comes from them as that will make the batter too wet. Then mash and use as directed.
Yes, you can customize your banana orange muffins by adding chocolate chips, chopped nuts, or dried fruit for extra flavor and texture.
❤️ More Delicious Banana Recipes
If you tried these Banana Orange Muffins, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and share your feedback in the 📝 comments section below. I would truly appreciate it!
Banana Orange Muffins
- 1 ½ cups Mashed bananas, about 2-3 ripe ($0.75)
- ⅓ cup Vegetable oil ($0.16)
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda ($0.01)
- ¼ teaspoon Salt ($0.02)
- 1 teaspoon Orange extract ($0.02)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract ($0.02)
- 1 large Egg ($0.08)
- ½ cup Granulated sugar ($0.11)
- 1 ½ cups All-purpose flour ($0.12)
- 1 teaspoon Orange zest ($0.04)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line your muffin tray with paper liners or spray well with cooking spray.
- Peel your bananas and add them to a large mixing bowl. Mash until no large chunks remain.
- Add in the vegetable oil. Stir together until combined.
- Add in the baking soda, salt, and orange zest. Mix well until distributed.
- Add in the sugar, vanilla extract, orange extract, and salt. Stir until well mixed.
- Add in the flour. Stir until no flour streaks remain. Do not overmix.
- Scoop the batter into the muffin trays filling them about ⅔s of the way full.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean.
- Let cool for 5 minutes in the pan before transferring the muffins to a wire rack to cool completely.