Tater tot hotdish with corn is a favorite in our house. With crispy tater tots, sweet whole kernel corn, and a creamy meat mixture filled with cheese, this dish has it all.
Why I love this easy tater tot casserole
I love how easily this cheesy tater tot casserole with sour cream is to make. With just a few minutes of prep I can have my tater tot casserole in the oven. Perfect for those busy days where I don’t want to spend too much time in front of the stove!
Loading my tater tot casserole with veggies is a great way to get the kids to eat them without complaint. While my toddler isn’t a picky eater, my older child is. Thankfully, this dish makes a bunch of the stuff she doesn’t like taste like something she does. She often asks for seconds or even thirds, so I call this tater tot casserole with corn a win in my book!
What’s in tater tot casserole?
- Ground beef
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Diced onion
- Whole Kernal Corn
- Cream of Mushroom Condensed Soup
- Frozen Tater Tots
- Sour Cream
What you’ll need to make this homemade tater tot casserole
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
Tips for making tater tot corn casserole
Making tater tot casserole with hamburger meat is a great way to add in that iron and protein, but feel free to use ground turkey if that’s what you like better.
If the sour cream flavor tastes overwhelming to a picky eater you can reduce it 1/2 cup and toss in 1/4 cup of milk. The dish will still be creamy and delicious, but the flavor will be a lot milder.
You can use frozen corn about 1 cups worth should be about the same, but you can add in more if you wanted to.
Tater tot casserole is a comfort food dish that is as cheap to make as it is delicious to eat. Truly one of the better tasting and more filling frugal meal options out there.
Made with crispy tater tots and a can of cream of mushroom soup, you get a mix of flavors and textures that work great together.
Trying to figure out what to eat with tater tot casserole can be a bit of a challenge when you have such a mix of ingredients already. Pairing your comfort dish with a side salad or other cooked vegetables can be a great idea.
With tater tot hotdishes often having a bit of a rich and greasy feel to them, pairing them with something lighter is a great way to offset that heavy feeling.
You can use any type of condensed soup including cream of chicken, cheddar cheese, or even cream of celery. Each will change the overall flavor of the dish (but they all taste great too!)
Reheating a tater tot casserole isn’t difficult. You can place your leftovers in the oven in a baking dish, covered in foil. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 30 minutes until it’s heated through.
You can also microwave the food for about 1-2 minutes if you only want a smaller portion reheated. Unfortunately, this causes the tots to soften and lose that crispness.
Not much actually. Both are terms that come from the midwest united states. but, generally speaking, a tater tot hot dish recipe contains vegetables and a can of condensed soup like cream of mushroom.
A casserole is very similar but often contains lighter meat like chicken or tuna. But both are baked and have some form of starchy base, veggies, and a nice topping. So, you can think of it as a hotdish being a type of casserole.
How to make tater tot casserole
In a skillet on the stove, heat your diced onions in 1 tbsp of olive oil for about 2-3 minutes until more opaque and soft in texture.
Add in the ground beef and cook until browned. Drain grease. Break up the beef as you cook so that there are no large chunks.
Transfer the beef and onions to a large mixing bowl and add in the rest of the ingredients (minus the tater tots). Reserve about 1/4 cup of cheese for the top if desired.
Pour the creamy mixture into a greased 9×13 baking dish and then top with tater tots. Sprinkle the top with the reserved cheese and then bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour.
Serve and enjoy.
Check out these other great dinner recipes!
- Garlic and Brown Sugar Crusted Pork Roast
- Chicken Pot Pie Noodle Casserole
- Crockpot Chicken with Enchilada Sauce
- Dorito Taco Salad
- Easy Stovetop Mac and Cheese
- Cheeseburger Macaroni Skillet
- Lemon and Dill Rainbow Trout
- Oven Baked Beer Butt Chicken
- Creamy Cilantro Lime Chicken
- Oven Baked Brats
Tater Tot Casserole with Corn (Hotdish)
- 1 bag (small bag) Frozen Tater Tots (about 32 whole tots)*
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup Onion, diced
- 1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 can Whole Kernel Corn, Drained
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- In a skillet on the stove, heat diced onions in 1 tbsp of olive oil for about 2-3 minutes until opaque and soft.
- Add in ground beef and cook until browned. Drain grease. Break up the beef as you cook so that there are no large chunks.
- Transfer beef and onions to large mixing bowl. Add in the soup, sour cream, corn, and 3/4 cup of the cheese. Stir well.
- Pour the creamy mixture into a greased 9×13 baking dish and top with tater tots in neat rows. Sprinkle the top with the reserved cheese. Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour.
- Serve and enjoy.
- The actual amount of tots needed will depend on your arrangement skills and the size of the pan. You can fit more in a bigger pan than a smaller pan and neat rows fit more than a scattered arrangement.
You’re going to love this tater tot casserole with corn! It’s such a simple and easy comfort dish that it’s perfect for lazy days and bad weather.