You are going to love this Oreo bread pudding recipe. This dish is perfect for breakfast or dessert, made with just a few simple ingredients and America's favorite cookie!
We love bread pudding around here, and this cookies and cream bread pudding is a favorite of ours for so many reasons. Soft, crispy, sweet, and chocolatey in every bite. It reminds us of our Cookies and Cream Cinnamon Rolls, but with far less effort.
I took our Hamburger Bun Bread Pudding and adapted it for this recipe, and it was an instant hit. The cookies soften with the bread pudding, so serving is easy, and the top of the pudding gets crisp and golden for a nice combination of textures and flavors.
🍯 Why This Recipe Works
- Basic ingredients. Using things like stale bread, butter, oreo cookies, milk, and eggs, we get a wonderful dish that is perfect for any time of the day. Minimal grocery shopping is needed (if any at all).
- You only need a sleeve of Oreos. One package of Oreo cookies has about 12-14 cookies in a single sleeve, leaving 2 more rows of cookies for recipes like Air Fried Oreo Cookies or 3 Ingredient Oreo Fudge. Of course, you could also just eat the cookies with a glass of milk.
- It's perfect for leftover bread. I like to keep a gallon-sized baggie in the freezer full of bread loaf ends and unused burger buns so that I can whip up a batch of bread pudding whenever I want.
Bread- You can use day old bread loaves, sliced sandwich bread, or burger buns. I like to either use the bread ends from sandwich bread, leftover buns from a cookout, or day old bread from the markdown section at Walmart.
Brown sugar- Adds sweetness and a little depth of flavor thanks to the molasses.
Glaze- We will make a glaze from butter, vanilla, powdered sugar, and milk.
For specific ingredients and measurements, please see the recipe card below.
Using different flavors of oreo cookies will give you different results every time. I like to use the original regular cookies and cream oreos but you can use the peanut butter or mocha flavored ones for a more savory treat.
Using mint oreos, peppermint oreos, or the carrot cake flavored oreos can be a great way to make this dish more festive and fun around the holidays.
🔪 Instructions for Oreo Bread Pudding
Step 1: Preheat your oven 350 degrees F and grease the inside of an 8x8 baking dish or a 2 quart sized casserole dish.
Step 2: Place your cubed stale bread and quartered Oreos inside the pan. Mix well to distribute the cookies evenly.
Step 3: In a mixing bowl, combine all the other ingredients until smooth and well blended.
Step 4: Pour the mixture over the top of the bread. Try to get it to coat as much surface space as possible.
Step 5: Lightly press down on the bread so that it's submerged into the egg mixture and becomes wet.
Step 6: Bake the pudding in the oven for 40-45 minutes or until a knife can be inserted and come out clean.
Step 7: In a small bowl, combine the glaze ingredients with a whisk or rubber spatula until smooth. Drizzle over the top of the bread pudding.
Step 8: Let rest for a few minutes before serving.
🍴 Recipe Tips
Frugal Bread Tips
1 hamburger bun or hotdog bun (top and bottom half) are about 1 cup in bread cubes, so you will need roughly 6-7 buns in total but can use sandwich bread or other bread as well.
You can make your fresh bread stale by laying it out in an even layer on a baking sheet for 10 minutes at the lowest oven heat setting. I have made this recipe with fresh bread, and it is still delicious.
Make sure the egg mixture is mixed well enough that there are no streaks of unmixed egg white. If needed, use a blender or electric mixer. They work great for this.
You can adjust the sweetness in this dish to make it sweeter or less sweet. I find that it is a perfect balance as-is, but you can choose to adjust to your tastes.
I find that 1-2 minutes in the microwave is sufficient to reheat a single serving on a plate. Placing the bread pudding into the oven for 5-10 minutes at 350 degrees F should be plenty for larger batches.
⏲️Make Ahead Instructions
You can prep this dish the night before and leave it covered in the baking dish until morning. Place it on the counter as the oven preheats, and then bake as directed.
If using a glass baking dish, allow it to rest for 20-30 minutes on the counter at room temperature before placing it into the oven so that it doesn't shatter.
💭 Recipe FAQs
You can freeze baked bread pudding for up to 4 months if in a well sealed container (at least a few layers of foil). Make sure sauce has not been added before freezing.
If you are unsure of doneness, make sure the internal temperature has reached at least 160 degrees F. The inside texture should be custard-like, but 160F means that the eggs are cooked, and you can consume safely.
By using gluten free bread and gluten free oreos you should be able to turn this recipe into a gluten free treat that everyone can enjoy!
❤️ More Delicious Breakfast Recipes
If you tried this Oreo Bread Pudding, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and share your feedback in the 📝 comments section below. I would truly appreciate it!
Oreo Bread Pudding
- 6 cups Bread, cubed ($0.72)
- 12 Oreo cookies, quartered ($1.44)
- 2-4 Tablespoons Butter, melted ($0.37)
- 3 large Eggs, beaten ($0.45)
- 2 cups Milk ($0.20)
- ¼ cup Granulated sugar ($0.09)
- ¼ cup Brown sugar ($0.11)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract ($0.03)
- ¼ teaspoon Salt ($0.02)
- 2 Tablespoons Butter, melted ($0.25)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract ($0.03)
- ⅔ cups Powdered sugar ($0.24)
- 2 teaspoons Milk or water ($0.01)
- Preheat your oven 350 degrees F and grease the inside of an 8x8 baking dish or a 2 quart sized casserole dish.
- Place your cubed stale bread and quarterd Oreos inside the pan. Mix well to evenly distribute the cookies.
- In a mixing bowl combine all of the other ingredients until smooth and well blended.
- Pour the mixture over the top of the bread. Try to get it to coat as much surface space as possible.
- Lightly press down on the bread so that it's submerged into the egg mixture and becomes wet.
- Bake the pudding in the oven for 40-45 minutes or until a knife can be inserted and come out clean.
- In a small bowl, combine the glaze ingredients with a whisk or rubber spatula until smooth. Drizzle over the top of the bread pudding.
- Let rest for a few minutes before serving.