Devil's Food Cake Mix Brownies are a simple, rich, and indulgent brownie is just a boxed cake mix away. Made with Devil's Food cake mix instead of brownie mix, we get an even richer tasting brownie with no extra work. Perfect for a simple dessert when you want something sweet.
What to do when you have a box of cake mix but don't want cake? Make cake mix brownies! It's such a simple and easy recipe that you can have a delicious batch of brownies in no time and with no more effort than if you were to have made the actual cake.
We love brownies and always keep boxed cake mix on hand, so whenever the mood strikes, a dessert is just moments away. These devil's food brownies are the perfect blend of easy and delicious.
🍯 Why This Recipe Works
- Simple ingredients. You'll only need 3 ingredients to make this recipe and if you already have a box of chocolate cake mix, then no additional trips to the grocery store are needed (assuming you have the other 2 ingredients on hand).
- It's quick to prep. One of the best things about boxed brownie mix is how quickly they can be whisked together. This recipe is just as easy as making those brownies (but tastier).
- You can change out the cake mix. These brownies can come in flavors you won't find in a packaged brownie mix. Imagine strawberry cake mix, lemon cake mix, chocolate or yellow cake mix all turned into differently flavored brownies! Yum!
Cake mix- To make these brownies, you'll need a box of Devil's Food cake mix, but you can use any chocolate (or non-chocolate) flavored cake mix instead.
Eggs- Using eggs will help with the texture of the brownies and give them a nice binder to keep them from falling apart too.
Vegetable Oil- You'll need some vegetable oil to moisten the batter. This will give us a nice and fudgy consistency in the brownies.
For specific ingredients and measurements, please see the recipe card below.
🔪 Instructions for Devil's Food Cake Mix Brownies
Step 1: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and grease the inside of a square 8x8 baking dish.
Step 2: In a mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients together with a fork until just blended.
Step 3: Pour the batter into the baking dish and then place it into the oven.
Step 4: Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted into the center and come out clean.
Step 5: Allow to cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving.
🍴 Recipe Tips
Making these brownies from devil's food cake mix is incredibly easy and quite fun to do. Simply mix together the ingredients and pour them into a pan. Simple.
That said, you should keep in mind that you do not want to overmix the batter. Overmixing your brownie batter will lead to a much more crumbly texture and not the soft fudgy ones we are looking for. So only mix until you have gotten no flour streaks remaining.
You can add in 1-2 cups of chocolate chips if desired for an even stronger chocolate flavor.
💭 Recipe FAQs
Yes, any standard-sized box of cake mix (about 15.25 ounces in size) can be turned into a batch of brownies following this simple recipe using eggs and vegetable oil.
Yes, you can use melted butter instead of oil if desired. This will give you a richer taste too. Coconut oil may also be used but it will alter the flavors to include coconut.
These devil's food cake brownies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week. Any longer than that and they may become stale or dry out, so eating them sooner is best for freshest results.
❤️ More Delicious Bar Recipes
If you tried these Devils Food Cake Brownies, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and share your feedback in the 📝 comments section below. I would truly appreciate it!
Devils Food Cake Brownies
- 1 box (15.25) Devil's Food cake mix ($1.00)
- 2 large Eggs ($0.30)
- ½ cup Vegetable oil ($0.35)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8x8 baking dish. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs, and oil with a fork or whisk until blended. Do not over mix.
- Pour the batter into your prepared baking dish and then bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted in the center and come out clean.
- Allow the brownies to cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Do not overmix the batter or you will end up with crumbly textured brownies.
- You can add in up to 2 cups of chocolate chips if desired.
- Any standard sized cake mix (15.25oz) will work for this recipe, including different flavors.
- You can use melted butter in place of the oil, this will give you a richer taste. Even coconut oil works well.
- Storage. Keep these brownies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week. For best results eat within a few days.