If you're looking for a fool-proof, can't fail, easy dessert recipe that is sure to hit the spot, look no further than this 2 ingredient lemon cake bars recipe. It's soft, sweet, tangy, and so good you'll want to finish the pan's worth to yourself.
These easy cake mix lemon bars are so simple to prep that it only takes a minute or two to mix together. The longest and hardest part of it all is waiting for the oven to preheat and bake.
This is one of those recipes you keep in mind when someone asks you to bring something to the party at the last minute. But if you want something made from scratch, make sure to check out my Lemon Bars with Graham Cracker Crust.
The smell of these angel food cake lemon bars in the oven is an absolute dream. Your house will smell great for hours as a result, and it's worth it too, because that first bite is surprisingly good.
It's light, fluffy, moist, and tangy. Everything you could ever want in lemon cake, unless you actually want a lemon cake, in which I recommend this Raspberry Lemon Bundt Cake.
Why This Recipe Works
- Minimal ingredients. With just two ingredients in a pan, you really can't get easier than that. I like to top off these lemon bars with some powdered sugar, but that's optional.
- Quick prep. All you'll need to do is mix, pour, and bake. This recipe is so simple and basic that anyone can do it. It's pretty foolproof.
- Minimal dishes. I can't be the only one who dreads doing the dishes, right? With just a bowl and a pan, there's not much to clean up after, making this recipe even better!
You will only need angel food cake and lemon pie filling to make this recipe. You can use any brand preferred.
Angel Food Cake- The angel food cake will give us all of the leavenings we need to make this cake puff up and rise as it bakes.
Lemon Pie Filling- The lemon pie filling will help to moisten and activate those ingredients for a wonderful flavor and texture in every bite.
🍽 Equipment Needed
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
Check out how to make 2 ingredient lemon cake bars with these simple step-by-step instructions:
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9x13 baking dish.
Combine the angel food cake dry mix and the lemon pie filling inside of the baking dish.
Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until a butter knife can be inserted into the center and come out clean.
Let the cake cool for 10 minutes before slicing.
Dust with powdered sugar before serving.
🍴 Recipe Tips
My sister and I debated for a while over what to call these as they do not look like a gooey traditional version of a lemon bar and hold up more to cake standards. While the centers are a tad gooey on top, the combination of fluffy cake and gooey tops make this dessert more like a 2 in one treat.
You want to make sure that these 2 ingredient lemon bars are well blended together and while a whisk is great, you may find that a wooden spoon is easier to stir through the thick lemon pie filling. I found that I had to alternate between a whisk and spoon to get the mix well blended.
You can mix the ingredients together in a greased pan or in a bowl and transfer it over depending on what you want to do. I enjoy mixing them together in the same pan because it means fewer dishes to wash later.
These lemon bars taste incredible on their own but they also pair very well with a light dusting of powdered sugar and some fresh berries. Adding a little raspberry sauce or berry compote over the top would be a wonderful summer-time treat. Even adding a dollop of whipped topping could be a nice surprise.
Yes, absolutely! This 2 ingredient lemon angel food cake recipe can be modified for different flavors. You can use canned cherry filling, canned apple filling, or even canned blueberry for a great new flavor experience every time.
These lemon bars can last up to a week if stored in an airtight container at room temperature. That is, of course, assuming that they can last that long. You may find yourself eating these squares by the handful (I know I did.)
More great dessert recipes to try
- Spiced Vegan Apple Bundt Cake
- Easy Red Velvet Funnel Cake
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- Ice Cream Cone Brownies
2 Ingredient Lemon Cake Bars
- 1 can Lemon pie filling ($2.80)
- 1 box Angel food cake mix (just the dry stuff!) ($2.74)
- Powdered sugar *optional for topping
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and grease the inside of a 9x13 baking dish.
- In that baking dish combine the dry angel food cake mix and the lemon pie filling until well mixed.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, until a butter knife can be inserted into the center and come out clean.
- Let the cake cool on a wire rack for about 10 minutes.
- Slice your lemon cake into squares and then dust with powdered sugar before serving.
Leave a Reply