If you're looking for an easy no-fail oatmeal cookie then these 4 ingredient oatmeal cookies are perfect. This recipe couldn't get any simpler or more basic. You will enjoy every fluffy and flavorful bite.
Delicious spice cake mix and oatmeal come together for this simple and easy cake mix cookies recipe. With just 4 ingredients and a little effort, you can have 12 large cake mix oatmeal cookies or 30 smaller ones ready to enjoy in no time.
I often find myself buying cake mixes when they go on sale, but I'm not always thinking about cake when I get them. Turning them into other treats like red velvet cheesecake brownies or turning them into something like cherry chip cookies, or even cake mix banana bread are all fun ways to get new uses out of a simple box.
But why stop there? Making oatmeal cookies is a fantastic way to get a classic cookie with a modern twist.
Why This Recipe Works
- Minimal time and effort are needed. Every box of cake mix has leavening agents, flavors, spices, and baking staples mixed together, saving you time and effort while giving you wonderfully tasty results. Gotta love that, right?
- Cookies in just minutes flat. Because we take a shortcut with cake mix and don't need to chill our dough, we can have cookies in mere minutes.
- The recipe is pretty frugal. The cost of cake mix is always pretty cheap. Add in some affordable oats and a few other ingredients, and the overall cost of this recipe is around $2 for a batch of almost 2 dozen cookies!
Boxed Cake Mix- You will need a box of spiced cake mix. If in a pinch, you can use a carrot cake mix instead (those always turn out really yummy!)
Eggs- These will bind the dough together so that the cookies aren't crumbly, and they will help to make the cookies richer in taste too.
Vegetable Oil- You will need some oil to give the cookies the necessary fats to stay moist.
Quick Cooking Oats- Using other oats is okay, but note that they will have a firmer chewiness to them in the cookie.
For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
🍽 Equipment Needed
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
Check out how to make 4 ingredient oatmeal cookies with these simple step-by-step instructions:
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set it aside.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs, oil, and oats.
Stir until well mixed.
Using a small cookie scoop or 2 rounded tablespoons make balls of dough and place them on the cookie sheet at least 2 inches apart.
Flatten the tops slightly so that the cookies are ¼ of an inch thick
Bake in the oven for 8 minutes until the edges look set and the tops are no longer glossy.
Remove from oven and let cool on the baking sheet for 2 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack to finish cooling.
Keep stored in an airtight container.
🍴 Recipe Tips
You can make large and puffy oatmeal cookies from cake mix like I did or you can make them smaller too. Want them thinner? No problem!
Just use the bottom of a cup to smush them down slightly, and they won't be as puffy but will be even bigger so make space on the baking sheet to accommodate this change.
You can also add in up to 1 cup of raisins, chopped nuts, or chocolate chips if desired!
The big and important thing to note is that the cookies should cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet before getting placed on a wire cooling rack. This will allow the cookies to set before being moved and to finish the cooking process.
If kept stored at room temperature in an airtight container, you can expect your oatmeal spice cake mix cookies to last about 3-5 days and still taste great. Freeze cookies for a longer storage option.
While you could use any oat of preference, quick cooking oats work best in this recipe because it gives a nice and soft cookie that isn't too chewy or hard.
More great cookie recipes to try
- Lucky Charms Cookies
- Cherry Chip Cake Mix Cookies
- Peppermint Shortbread Cookies
- Cake Mix Peanut Butter Blossoms
4 Ingredient Oatmeal Cookies
- 1 box (15.25oz) Spice cake mix ($1.24)
- 2 large Eggs ($0.16)
- ½ cup Vegetable Oil ($0.24)
- 1 cup Quick Cooking Oats ($0.18)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl combine all of the ingredients together until well mixed.
- Using a small cookie scoop or for smaller cookies do 2 rounded tablespoons per ball. Space the cookie dough balls out on a baking sheet at least 2 inches apart to allow for expanding. Flatten the tops slightly so that the cookies are ¼ of an inch thick.
- Bake in the oven for 8 minutes until edges look set and the tops are no longer glossy.
- Let cool on the baking sheets for at least 2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling.