This Instant Pot asparagus recipe is perfect for getting the most flavor out of every bite! With the parmesan cheese and lemon juice mixture at the end, these are the perfect side dish to complement your meal.
We are huge fans of asparagus over here, and one of our favorite ways to season them up is with lemon juice, garlic, and parmesan cheese. The salty, savory, and delicious flavor in every bite is worthy of sharing a plate with any meal.
Making asparagus in the Instant Pot is a convenient and efficient way to prepare this vegetable. It's a cooking method that ensures the asparagus remains tender and vibrant green.
With the Instant Pot, you can achieve perfectly cooked asparagus with minimal effort. After cooking, you'll have asparagus that's crisp-tender, and ideal to serve as a side dish for any number of great recipes.
🍯 Why This Recipe Works
- It's customizable. Whether you like your asparagus cooked crisp or cooked tender, this recipe can be modified to fit either preference.
- Simple flavor, easy process. Follow this recipe up with the lemon parmesan cheese mix at the end, and then this pressure cooker asparagus will be packed with flavor in every delicious bite!
- It's fast! Depending on how tender you want your asparagus, you can set the Instant Pot to 0-2 minutes, which means you may have to wait as little as the time needed to bring the Instant Pot to pressure. Then, it's ready.
Fresh asparagus- You will need some fresh asparagus that has been washed and trimmed. Try to find asparagus that are similar in size and thickness, as that will help ensure that they cook at the same speed.
Parmesan cheese- For added depth of flavor and salty goodness, we prefer using shredded parmesan cheese from the deli section.
Minced Garlic- You can use freshly minced garlic or jarred minced garlic, depending on what you have on hand.
Lemon Juice- This will help to give us a nice acidic flavor and bring some freshness to the plate.
For specific ingredients and measurements, please see the recipe card below.
Step 1: Wash your asparagus and trim the ends off. Cut them shorter if needed so that they fit into the Instant Pot.
Step 2: Pour one cup of water into the bottom of your Instant Pot.
Step 3: Place the trivet or steamer basket inside, and add the asparagus. Lay them flat if using a trivet, or stand them up if using a basket.
Step 4: Close the lid and seal it. Set the Instant Pot to High Pressure for 0-2 minutes. 2 makes them more tender, but 0 minutes was perfect for my skinny asparagus.
Step 5: When the timer has beeped, do a Quick Pressure Release.
Step 6: Remove the asparagus from the Instant Pot and place it into a bowl with olive oil, cheese, and seasonings. Toss to coat.
If desired, you can lay the cheese covered asparagus on a foil lined baking sheet and place it in the oven under high broil for 1 minute.
🍴 Recipe Tips
Making your asparagus in Instant Pot is such an easy process. If you have an Instant Pot steamer basket, you can use that (like I did), or you could simply lay the asparagus down over the trivet.
The biggest thing to remember is to cut the asparagus to size so that they fit inside your Instant Pot. If they're standing in a steamer basket they can be a little longer than if you were to lay them down. They can touch the sides as they cook.
To clean asparagus you should run them under cool water and gently rub the tips to help loosen and remove any grit. Asparagus grows up from the ground so it can be a dirty vegetable.
Also, when trimming the ends, if you grab either end of an asparagus in both hands and bend slightly, the asparagus will break right where the wooden-end is, leaving you a perfect juicy piece of asparagus instead of cutting them.
You can keep asparagus for about 3-5 days in the fridge before it goes bad before cooking. For maximum freshness, trim the ends slightly and place them standing upright in a cup of water instead of lying in a vegetable crisper drawer.
Instant Pot steamed asparagus can last in the fridge for about 3-5 days before needing to be eaten or tossed. This should give you plenty of time to work your way through a delicious batch of steamed asparagus.
❤️ More Delicious Instant Pot Recipes
If you tried this Instant Pot Asparagus, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and share your feedback in the 📝 comments section below. I would truly appreciate it!
Instant Pot Asparagus
- 1 bunch Asparagus (roughly 1 pound) ($2.98)
- 1 cup Water ($0.00)
- 1 Tablespoon Olive oil ($0.13)
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, shredded ($0.24)
- 2 teaspoon Minced garlic ($0.10)
- ½ Tablespoon Lemon juice ($0.08)
- ¼ teaspoon Salt ($0.02)
- Wash asparagus and trim the ends off of the bottoms. If needed, cut shorter so that they can fit into Instant Pot.
- Pour the 1 cup of water into Instant Pot. Lower steamer basket into Instant Pot, or use a trivet. Lay the asparagus across the trivet or stand them up in the steamer basket depending on which you are using.
- Close the Instant Pot lid and seal it. Set it to High Pressure for 0-2 minutes. 2 minutes will give you softer asparagus but 0 minutes was perfect for my skinnier asparagus.
- When the time is up, do a Quick Pressure Release.
- Remove asparagus and place in bowl with olive oil, cheese, and seasonings. Toss to coat.
- If desired you can lay the cheese covered asparagus on a foil lined baking sheet and broil for 1 minute on High in the oven to melt the cheese.
- Serve warm.