Green beans don't have to be boring. With this simple seasoning combination and your Instant Pot, steamed fresh green beans are just moments away. You'll look forward to seeing these greens on your plate!
Green beans are a green vegetable my kids always fight over. Not because they don't want it, but because they want MORE. They love firm and soft green beans and this Instant Pot green beans recipe is a fast and simple way to get them made in no time flat. Perfect for busy or lazy days.
I'll be honest, I often just think about cooking up a batch of these Instant Pot steamed green beans and letting the kids snack on them at random points in the day. I'm sure they'd actually love it.
What I love most about this green bean recipe is that it's a simple one-pot deal. Steam, saute in seasonings and done. Including the time to pressurize, cook, and release the pressure I think we're looking at 15 minutes MAX. Not bad considering I don't have to hover over the pot or do much physically.
- Fresh Green Beans
- Olive Oil
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
🍽 Equipment Needed
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
- 6qt Instant Pot
- Measuring spoons
🍴 Recipe Tips
I recently bought an Instant Pot steamer basket because 90% of what I use the Instant Pot for these days in steamed veggies. You can choose to buy this aftermarket product or steam veggies without it.
Using the trivet or simply placing the veggies in the water at the bottom of the liner (sort of like boiling) will work too.
The amount of water needed varies per Instant Pot. A 6 quart Instant Pot will need just 1 cup of water whereas an 8 qt should have 1.5 cups of water. This is simply to maintain the minimum liquid threshold needed to get the Instant Pot's to work without fail.
The water will be drained before seasoning the greens and only serves the purpose of steaming the green beans to our desired tenderness.
You can steam these Instant Pot fresh green beans for anywhere between 0-3 minutes. 0 minutes on High Pressure will give you a very firm bite whereas 3 minutes will be much more tender, if not a bit mushy.
Leftover green beans can be stored in the fridge in a covered container for up to 5 days. For best results, eat sooner rather than later. Green beans tend to lose that crisp bite and become chewy as they age.
You can reheat the green beans by placing them on a plate in the microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute depending on how many you have to warm up.
I like to use a very basic combination of salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder for my green beans when I want a simple side dish. Using minced garlic, bacon bits, cooked onions, or even parmesan cheese and lemon juice can also be great ideas for getting more flavor into your greens!
Yes, they will freeze well. Because they have already been cooked, there is nothing to do except allow the green beans to cool completely and place them in an airtight container in the freezer.
They can last up to 12 months in the freezer if properly stored! Of course, eating them sooner rather than later helps to avoid freezer burn and flavor loss.
Check out how to make Instant Pot green beans with these simple step-by-step instructions:
- Wash your fresh green beans and cut off the ends. If needed, break long green beans in half so that they fit inside the Instant Pot.
- Place one cup of water (or 1.5 cups of water if using an 8qt IP) in the pot liner.
- Place the green beans inside the Instant Pot or in an Instant Pot Steamer Basket.
- Set to High Pressure and Cook for 1 minute.
- Do a quick release of the pressure and then open the lid.
- Remove the green beans and drain the liquid.
- Set the Instant Pot to Saute Mode and set the timer for 3 minutes, we will not need all 3 minutes.
- Add in the olive oil and seasonings and toss the green beans to coat.
- Turn off Instant Pot and remove green beans.
- Serve warm.
More great recipes to try
- Easy Spinach Bacon Quiche
- Simple Meatloaf with Oatmeal
- Instant Pot Bacon
- Blueberry Buttermilk Muffins
- Microwave Yellow Squash
- Instant Pot Ham and Bean Soup
Instant Pot Green Beans
- ½ lb fresh green beans ($0.84)
- 1 cup water (1.5 cups if using 8qt IP) ($0.00)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil ($0.13)
- ¼ teaspoon salt ($0.02)
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper ($0.01)
- ½ teaspoon onion powder ($0.05)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder ($0.05)
- Wash your green beans and trim off the ends.
- Place one cup of water into the Instant Pot, or if using an 8 qt Instant Pot, use 1.5 cups of water.
- Place the green beans in a steamer basket or on the trivet and lower into Instant Pot.
- Cook on High Pressure for 1 minute.
- Quick release the pressure within the Instant Pot and carefully remove the green beans.
- Drain liquid inside liner and return liner to pot.
- Set to Saute for 3 minutes and add in the olive oil and seasonings. Stir to mix. You will not need the full 3 minutes.
- Toss in the green beans and stir to combine.
- Remove green beans, turn off Instant Pot, and serve warm.