Steaming a head of broccoli in the Instant Pot will soon become your favorite way to cook it! Going from fresh to tender in minutes and without a messy hassle is just another reason to love this simple recipe.
Whether you like your broccoli crisp or like it more tender (like my kids do), then this recipe is for you. You can adjust the cooking time by as little as a minute and make a HUGE difference with your Instant Pot broccoli.
Cooking broccoli florets for 0-2 minutes makes it go from crisp to tender in such a short time. Add in the seasoning mix at the end and you can pack a lot of flavor into every perfect bite of broccoli. Use this Instant Pot broccoli recipe for dinner tonight and see what I mean.
Why This Recipe Works
- Simple ingredients. We don't need much to make a tasty batch of broccoli. With some fresh veggies, oil, and seasonings, we can have a side dish worthy of any meal.
- It's fast! With just a few minutes on the clock, you can have a batch of perfectly cooked broccoli in such a short time.
- Perfectly cooked every time. This recipe is great for getting perfectly cooked broccoli every time. No need to worry about overcooking or undercooking them because once you figure out how tender you like your broccoli, the rest is easy.
Fresh Broccoli- You will need some fresh broccoli that has been washed and cut into florets.
Water- This is necessary for helping to get your Instant Pot to cook properly.
Olive oil- Use olive oil to help hold the seasonings onto the veggies after they've cooked.
Seasonings- You will want to use some basic pantry staple seasonings like salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.
For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
🍽 Equipment Needed
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
Check out how to make Instant Pot steamed broccoli with these simple step-by-step instructions:
Wash and trim your broccoli into floret sized pieces.
Place 1 cup of water inside the Instant Pot and place the broccoli in the steamer basket or lay on the trivet inside of the Instant Pot.
Close the lid and seal it. Set the Instant Pot to High Pressure for 0 minutes. Do a Quick Pressure Release when the time is up.
Drain the water and remove the broccoli. Place broccoli into a large mixing bowl.
Add the olive oil and seasonings.
Gently toss well to coat the broccoli evenly.
Serve warm, and enjoy!
🍴 Recipe Tips
You can cook your broccoli in Instant Pot steamer baskets, or you can simply lay them on your Instant Pot trivet. Both methods work, but I really love the steamer basket because it's convenient.
Cooking your broccoli for 0 minutes is an option because the pressure cooker will still cook as it comes up to temperature/pressure. If you want softer or "mushy" broccoli, you can cook it for up to 2 minutes.
You can adjust the seasoning mixture to taste, and even halve the broccoli (or double it) for the recipe, but do not change the amount of water requested as your Instant Pot will need a minimum amount of liquid in the pot to work and come up to pressure.
You can keep leftover steamed broccoli in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days before it needs to be eaten or tossed. For best results, I recommend eating it sooner rather than later.
You could. Because the broccoli has been cooked, you can freeze it. If you plan to freeze it, flash freeze the broccoli for 1-3 hours on a baking sheet before transferring to an airtight container for up to 3 months. This will keep it from all sticking together and makes it easier if you just wanted a little and not the entire bunch.
More great Instant Pot recipes to try
- Instant Pot Beef Back Ribs
- Instant Pot Taco Zucchini Boats
- Instant Pot Bacon
- Instant Pot Tuna Casserole
Instant Pot Steamed Broccoli
- 1 bunch Fresh broccoli (about 1 pound) ($1.29)
- 1 cup Water ($0.00)
- 1 Tablespoon Olive oil ($0.13)
- ½ teaspoon Onion powder ($0.05)
- ½ teaspoon Garlic powder ($0.05)
- ¼ teaspoon Salt ($0.02)
- ⅛ teaspoon Black pepper ($0.01)
- Wash and trim your broccoli into floret sized pieces.
- Place 1 cup of water inside the Instant Pot and place the broccoli in the steamer basket or lay on the trivet inside of the Instant Pot.
- Close the lid and seal it. Set the Instant Pot to High Pressure for 0 minutes. Do a Quick Pressure Release when the time is up.
- Drain the water and remove the broccoli. Place broccoli into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the olive oil and seasonings.
- Gently toss well to coat the broccoli evenly.
- Serve warm, and enjoy!