Diet foods just got better with these zucchini taco boats. Filled with so much flavor in every crisp and cheesy bite, you won't even miss the carbs.
Taco zucchini boats
I often find myself with an overabundance of zucchini and in need of zucchini recipes to try. This has been one of my more favorite ones (besides my zucchini corn chowder).
Zucchini is such a cheap vegetable when it's in season and it's got so many great things in it for your body too! It's such a perfect veggie for side dishes, but now you can make it a main meal too!
With these instant pot zucchini boats you can use up leftover taco meat (assuming you have any) and a few fresh green zucchini's to make a tasty low carb dish that's perfect for lunch or a lighter dinner!
Even better, if you use meat already on hand this recipe only takes 3 minutes of cook time! If you don't have meat on hand, I made life simpler and included a delicious turkey taco meat recipe (also made in the instant pot!) It's on the recipe card below.
Stuffed zucchini ingredients
- Cooked taco meat (recipe card includes turkey meat recipe)
- Fresh zucchini
What you’ll need to make this recipe
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
Tips for making Instant Pot stuffed zucchini
With this quick and easy recipe, there's not much that can go wrong.
I like my zucchini crisp and soft, like soft enough to chew but with that bite that says, "Hey, I'm fresh." Cooking these boats for exactly 3 minutes and doing a Quick Pressure Release will give you exactly that.
You can also cook for 1 additional minute if you want them softer, but I do not recommend more than 5 minutes because then you're looking at mush.
Cutting the centers out of the zucchini is best when you use a paring knife to score lines in the boat to help guide the spoon as it scoops it out. You can do it without the knife, but the control over the spoon is a little harder as it tries to draw its own path.
FAQ's about taco zucchini boats
These boats are not keto friendly but can easily be modified to be lower in carb. The corn and beans in this taco meat can be omitted to make the mixture low-carb, making the dish overall very low-carb and keto friendly!
Lay your stuffed zucchini boats on a foil lined baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees F for about 10-15 minutes until heated through. Then serve warm. Alternatively, you can microwave on a plate for about 2-3 minutes, but the zucchini may be softer than when baked.
You can serve your zucchini boats with any of your favorite side dishes. Spanish rice, refried beans, a light salad, or even tortilla soup are nice options.
Yes. The skin of zucchini is actually very good for you as there is a lot of nutrition hiding in that green rind. The skin will become softer as it cooks making it fork tender and easy to cut through. Just make sure to wash it well before cooking.
How to make Instant Pot zucchini boats
Wash your zucchini and slice it in half vertically.
Scoop out the centers to make the halves into little boas.
Place the halves side by side on a trivet and lower it into an Instant Pot with 1 cup of water at the bottom.
Close the lid and seal it. Set it to High Pressure for 3 minutes and do a Quick Pressure Release.
Open the lid and drain the water out of the inside of the boats (it will collect in there) and drain the water from inside the pot.
Mix your taco meat with cheese and then place it inside the zucchini boats.
Place them back on the trivet and lower it back into the Instant Pot. Close the lid. Let rest 2 minutes to heat up and melt the cheese.
Open the lid, remove boats, and serve warm.
More great recipes to try
- Simple Meatloaf with Oatmeal
- Instant Pot Bacon
- Blueberry Buttermilk Muffins
- Instant Pot tuna Casserole
- Instant Pot Ham and Bean Soup
- Microwave Yellow Squash
Instant Pot Zucchini Boats
- 2 large Zucchini
- 1 cup Water (for cooking zucchini in)
- 1 cup Cooked taco meat
- ½ cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
Turkey Taco Meat (optional but makes enough for 10 boats)
- 1 pound Ground turkey meat
- 1 cup Water or beef broth (for cooking meat in)
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoon Taco seasoning
- 1 can Rotel with chilies, undrained
- 1 can Black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can Whole kernel corn, drained
- ⅓ cup Water
- 1 teaspoon Lime juice
Making the zucchini boats
- Make turkey taco meat and set aside. Rinse out Instant pot and add in 1 cup of water.
- Wash zucchini and slice in half vertically.
- Scoop out the centers with a spoon to make a "boat."
- Place halves on a trivet, with bowls facing upwards and lower into Instant Pot.
- Close lid and seal. Set to High Pressure for 3 minutes with a Quick Pressure Release.
- Drain the water inside the zucchini boats and inside the pot.
- Mix 1 cup of prepared taco meat with cheese and fill boats while they're still on the trivet.
- Lower the trivet back into the instant pot and close the lid. The warmth inside the pot will help to warm up the mixture and melt the cheese. Let it rest for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from Instant Pot and serve warm.
Taco Meat (optional recipe)
- Place 1 cup of water or beef broth in your Instant Pot with 1 pound of raw thawed ground turkey meat.
- Close the lid, seal it, and then set it for High Pressure 5 minutes.
- When the time is up do a Quick Pressure Release.
- Drain the meat and liquid and then set the Instant Pot to Saute for 10 minutes. You will not need all of this time.
- Heat the olive oil and garlic until fragrant. About 30 seconds.
- Add the ground turkey back into the pot and chop it into small pieces, breaking up the chunks.
- Stir in the taco seasoning, Rotel, black beans, corn, ⅓ cup water, and lime juice until well mixed.
- Continue cooking until most of the liquid is gone, or it has reached your desired thickness.
- Turn off Instant Pot and unplug.