These easy pumpkin cupcakes and made with a box cake mix for the base and then topped with a spiced cream cheese frosting. Every bite is full of flavors that are perfect for Fall. You’re going to love every last bite of these sweet treats.
Pumpkin cupcakes with cream cheese frosting
These cupcakes are packed full of flavor thanks to pureed pumpkin and spices like cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice.
Making pumpkin cupcakes with cake mix helps to give a wonderful flavor and texture with very little work and that’s just one more reason to love this simple recipe. Every cupcake is moist and fluffy and the frosting is tangy sweet, a perfect combination.
Pumpkin spice cupcakes ingredients
For the cupcakes, you will need:
- Yellow cake mix
- Pumpkin puree
- Vegetable oil
- Granulated sugar
- Pumpkin pie spice
For the spiced cream cheese frosting, you will need:
- Cream cheese
- Vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar
- Pumpkin pie spice
What you’ll need to make this recipe
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
Tips for making pumpkin cupcakes recipe
Make sure that you use pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie filling as there is a large difference and pie filling will cause your cupcakes to not turn out correctly.
You can use brown sugar instead of granulated sugar if desired. The flavors will change to be a bit richer depending on how dark of a brown sugar you used, as the molasses makes the cupcakes have a deeper flavor.
FAQ’s about pumpkin spice cupcakes with cream cheese frosting
If the cupcakes are not frosted then it is okay to leave them in an airtight container at room temperature. If they have been frosted with cream cheese frosting then they must be stored in the fridge for food safety. They will last 3-5 days either way.
Yes, you can freeze these cupcakes frosted or plain. Start by placing the cupcakes on a baking sheet to freeze until solid (about an hour or two) and then transfer to an airtight container to freeze in for up to 3 months. Thaw before eating.
How to make easy pumpkin cupcakes
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and line a muffin pan with paper liners. Set aside.
In a mixing bowl, combine all of the pumpkin cupcake ingredients until well blended.
Fill each muffin cup with batter until it’s about 2/3rds of the way full.
Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean.
Let cool for 5 minutes in the pan before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Once all of the cupcakes have cooled you can prepare the frosting.
Slowly add in the powdered sugar, one cup at a time until fully incorporated and smooth.
Frost the cupcakes and enjoy.
More great recipes to try
- Baking Powder Biscuits
- Oreo Pie Crust with Sprinkles
- Homemade Peach Pie Filling
- Strawberry White Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Crustless Veggie Quiche
- Creamy Roasted Garlic and Tomato Pasta
Easy Pumpkin Cupcakes
- 1 box (15.25oz) Yellow cake mix
- 4 large Eggs
- 1 can (15oz) Pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup Vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 1/4 cup Granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Pumpkin pie spice
Spiced cream cheese frosting
- 8 ounces Cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup Butter room temp
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 3 cups Powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp Pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and line a muffin pan with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all of the pumpkin cupcake ingredients until well blended.
- Fill each muffin cup with batter until it's about 2/3rds of the way full.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean.
- Let cool 5 minutes in the pan before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.
- Once all of the cupcakes have cooled you can prepare the frosting.
- Make the frosting by blending together the butter, cream cheese, vanilla, and pumpkin pie spice in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer until fluffy.
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar, one cup at a time until fully incorporated and smooth.
- Frost the cupcakes and enjoy.