A refreshing burst of peppermint with a sweet and salty mix of white chocolate popcorn. This White Chocolate Peppermint Popcorn is perfect for the winter season.
This holiday season, I decided to add some festive cheer to our home by whipping up a batch of delightful white chocolate peppermint popcorn, and let me tell you, it was an absolute hit.
My daughter, in particular, couldn't resist its deliciousness and practically devoured the entire batch single-handedly.
In her own words, she said, "I can't stop savoring this bowl of popcorn because it's unbelievably tasty, and I'll be genuinely sad when it's all gone." Now, that kind of reaction tells me we've got a real winner of a recipe on our hands. It's not every day that I see her so excited about a treat.
What's even better is that this recipe is so easy to prepare that next time, I'll get her into the kitchen to lend a hand. After all, it's only fair, right? Cooking together can be a wonderful way to create cherished memories and bond during the holiday season.
🍯 Why This Recipe Works
- It's easy to make. Just pop some popcorn, melt some chocolate, and toss a few things together in a bowl. This recipe is simple, basic, and perfect for a quick treat.
- It's a refreshing change of pace. Buttery popcorn is always good, but you can make it great by just adding in some chocolate and peppermint. Yum! Bring a refreshing minty twist to a classic treat with this recipe.
- It's perfect all winter long. Peppermint is a winter favorite, and while candy canes and Christmas may be tied together, there's nothing stopping you from enjoying this popcorn all season or year long.
Popcorn- You will need some freshly popped popcorn for this recipe. I like to use butter popcorn, but plain popcorn works well too.
Almond Bark- Use some melted almond bark or white chocolate. This will help the other ingredients to adhere to the popcorn.
Red Colored Sugar Sprinkles- For a festive color and added sweetness, we like to use red colored sanding sugar.
Crushed Peppermint Candies- Use candy canes or Bobs Sweet Red Stripes. I prefer the latter as they don't dissolve and turn into a sugary mess. They're also easier to bite into.
For specific ingredients and measurements, please see the recipe card below.
🔪 Instructions for White Chocolate Peppermint Popcorn
Step 1: Pop popcorn and remove kernels while placing the popped popcorn into a large mixing bowl.
Step 2: Melt the chocolate or almond bark in a small bowl in the microwave in 30-second intervals stirring well between each.
Step 3: Once the chocolate has been melted, stir in the crushed peppermint candies.
Step 4: Toss the chocolate and peppermint into the popcorn to coat evenly.
Step 5: Add the red colored sugar, mini marshmallows, and peppermint balls and toss to combine.
Step 6: Give it about 5-10 minutes to set so the chocolate isn't so messy and enjoy.
🍴 Recipe Tips
To make white chocolate candy cane popcorn, we start by mixing our crushed peppermint into the white chocolate to give us better coverage with the flavor as it coats every piece of popcorn. You could also toss it in with everything else in the next step, but I feel like this minor detail makes a noticeable difference.
You can use buttery, unflavored, salty, or kettle popcorn (any popcorn of choice) to get a different flavorful combination depending on what you want. I used Movie Theater Butter Flavored popcorn and was surprised by how well it worked with the peppermint.
💭 Recipe FAQs
Fresh is best as the peppermint will become chewy as it ages, but my daughter ate it happily for about 3 days from an airtight bag held at room temperature.
I wouldn't. While popcorn can be frozen, peppermint candies don't do well at cold temperatures. The colors run, and the texture becomes chewy and messy. For best results just make a fresh batch.
You can use either microwave popcorn or air-popped popcorn, depending on your preference.
❤️ More Delicious Holiday Recipes
If you tried this White Chocolate Peppermint Popcorn, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and share your feedback in the 📝 comments section below. I would truly appreciate it!
White Chocolate Peppermint Popcorn
- 1 bag (3.2oz) Popcorn, popped (about 7-9 cups) ($0.51)
- 2 pieces Almond bark (or 1 cup white chocolate chips) ($0.58)
- 1 Tablespoon Red colored sugar sprinkles ($0.16)
- ½ cup Mini marshmallows ($0.11)
- ¼ cup Peppermint candies, crushed ($1.12)
- 1 pinch Flakey sea salt (⅛ tsp) *optional
- 1 cup Bob's Sweet Stripes soft peppermint candies (about 26 pcs) ($2.24)
- Pop your popcorn and remove all unpopped kernels. Place all the good popcorn into a large mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl, melt your white chocolate in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring well between each until smooth.
- Once the chocolate has melted, stir in the crushed peppermint candies.
- Toss the popcorn with the white chocolate peppermitn mixture to evenly coat.
- Add in the red sugar, mini marshmallows, and peppermint balls. Toss to combine.
- Let rest about 5-10 minutes for chocolate to set before eating.