Scones are such a delicious breakfast item, snack, or treat. Make them at home with simple ingredients and a few minutes of your time. You're going to love this easy 4 ingredient scone recipe!
Scones are one of those easy recipes you can make with minimal effort this recipe is as simple as it gets. While we have a Big Fluffy Scones Recipe and these Glazed Blueberry Cream Cheese Scones available on the blog, this recipe right here is even simpler!
Made with just a few ingredients, this is a great way to reduce prep and effort while still getting a delicious tender scone to serve at breakfast, brunch, or afternoon tea time.
Why This Recipe Works
- Minimal ingredients are needed. Unlike other scone recipes that require more ingredients to make, this recipe is basic and only needs 4 ingredients!
- They're cheap to make. Making your own scones at home is a great way to save money because each scone only costs a few cents to make. This is a lot cheaper than buying them anywhere else!
- They're easy to make. If you've never made scones at home, you may be pleasantly surprised to find that they are easier to make at home than you thought. They just require a little measuring, stirring, patting into a disc, and cutting. This is a GREAT recipe for beginner chefs!
Self rising flour- This is a flour that already contains baking powder and salt in the mix. This means less measuring and effort. While you can make your own self rising flour, you can also buy it in the baking aisle at your local grocery store.
Sugar- Adding in a little granulated sugar gives us a softer and more tender crumb.
Butter- You can use butter or shortening depending on what you have on hand, but I prefer the richer taste that butter gives the dough. Salted butter works best at giving a richer taste!
Milk- You can use dairy free milk or even buttermilk if desired, but milk is needed to moisten the dough.
For specific quantities, see the recipe card below.
🍽 Equipment Needed
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
Check out how to make Easy 4 Ingredient Scone Recipe with these simple step-by-step instructions:
Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F.
Measure your flour and sugar into a large mixing bowl.
Whisk together to combine.
Cut in the cold cubed salted butter.
Mix together until the butter it looks like fine crumbs.
Add in the milk.
Mix together until the dough comes together.
Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and divide into 2 equal sized portions.
Pat each disc into a circle that's roughly ¼- ½ inch thick. Divide into 4 equal sized wedges.
Place the scones onto an ungreased baking sheet.
Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes or until golden.
Let cool, split in half, and top with fresh jam or butter as desired.
Serve and enjoy!
Butter- You can use salted or unsalted butter depending on what you have on hand. Shortening (plain or butter flavored) can also be used. If using butter, make sure it's nice and cold. If using shortening, room temperature is fine as long as it isn't melted.
🥣 Recipe Add-Ins
If you would like to add in ¼ cup of raisins, you may. I find that it works best when you remove 2 tablespoons of milk, to add in the raisins as they will release their own moisture as the scones cook.
🍴 Recipe Tips
Making scones is like making Baking Powder Biscuits. The ingredients are almost exact, but the preparation is where things change. Instead of rolling the dough, folding it over, and cutting it into circles, we are just trying to lightly press the dough together into a disc.
Scones require a lot less effort, and kneading, folding, or putting too much force into the scones can result in a chewier texture. We want our scones to be fluffy and light, so only bring the dough together, do not overwork it.
⏲️ Make Ahead Instructions
If you wish to make the dough in advance you may. I recommend making the dough and cutting it into wedges before freezing raw on a baking sheet. Once solid, you can transfer to an airtight container for up to 3 months.
You can bake your scones from frozen.
Store any uneaten scones in an airtight container at room temperature. The fridge will cause the scones to dry out, so room temp is best. Note that you can reheat them in the microwave for 10-15 seconds for a second chance at that warm-from-oven taste.
You can make your own self rising flour by mixing 1 cup of all purpose flour with 1.5 teaspoons of baking powder and .25 teaspoons of salt.
The secret is to keep the dough chilled. Using cold or frozen butter really helps to achieve this, but if after working the dough you find that it's getting too warm or sticky, let the dough chill for several minutes before proceeding.
Scones are usually served with jam or butter, but in British households, you may find them served with clotted cream (something we don't find here in America).
More great biscuit and rolls recipes to check out soon
- Chocolate Gravy and Biscuits
- Easy 45 Minute Cinnamon Rolls
- Easy 3 Ingredient Biscuits
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Crescents
Easy 4 Ingredient Scone Recipe
- 2 ½ cups Self Rising Flour ($0.83)
- 2 Tablespoons Granulated sugar ($0.02)
- 6 Tablespoons Cold salted butter ($0.56)
- ¾ cup plus 2 Tablespoons Milk ($0.15)
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F.
- Measure your flour and sugar into a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk together to combine.
- Cut in the cold cubed salted butter.
- Mix together until the butter it looks like fine crumbs.
- Add in the milk.
- Mix together until the dough comes together.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and divide into 2 equal sized portions.
- Pat each disc into a circle that's roughly ¼- ½ inch thick. Divide into 4 equal sized wedges.
- Place the scones onto an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes or until golden.
- Let cool, split in half, and top with fresh jam or butter as desired.
- Serve and enjoy!