Overnight oats are always a reason to celebrate but make them extra special with a dash of rainbow sprinkles. These birthday cake overnight oats are just the treat. Wake up to an easy and delicious breakfast that's ready to eat.
I love this cake batter overnight oats recipe so much! While it doesn't have actual cake batter inside, it tastes like it does! Made to be creamy, sweet, flavorful, and fun, this birthday cake overnight oats recipe is unique and awesome.
We love making overnight oat recipes fun and flavorful like with our Oreo Overnight Oats and Chunky Monkey Overnight Oats. With breakfast options like these waking up should be no problem at all. Of course it aso helps to have a large glass of Caramel Iced Coffee too.
🍯 Why This Recipe Works
- Yummy and affordable. This overnight oats birthday cake recipe is actually pretty good for you, especially when compared to other breakfast favorites like sugary cereal. Made for less than $1 per serving, this recipe is a great way to eat well and remain on budget. Perfect for when you want to Cut Your Grocery Bill and Still Eat Healthy.
- Convenience. You can make overnight oats up to a few days in advance, so go ahead and prep some food for the week and enjoy! Wake up and eat them cold or microwave them for warmth. I love cold oats in summer. There's nothing more convenient than waking up to breakfast already made and ready to eat. Just grab a spoon and serve it up!
- Your favorite flavor in every bite. We love birthday cake and foods that are flavored like birthday cake (like our Birthday Cake Stuffed Cookies) are almost addictingly good. If you love birthday cake, you already know your oats are going to taste incredible!
Old fashioned oats- This is the base of the recipe. These oats will soak up liquid overnight to soften without the need to cook them. You could use quick cook oats if you want an even softer texture (I often do).
Almond extract- Adding in a little almond extract is what gives these oats that iconic "birthday cake" flavor that we're looking for.
Rainbow sprinkles- I like to use rainbow Jimmie sprinkles because they don't dissolve as much as other sprinkles, but you can use any sprinkles. Confetti sprinkles would be good here too.
For specific ingredients and measurements, please see the recipe card below.
Oats. I have had great success using old fashioned oats and steel cut oats as well as quick cook steel cut oats (the kind that are chopped into smaller pieces). The difference in texture is pretty minimal. If you're looking for more reasons to add oats to your diet, try this Meatloaf Recipe with Oatmeal, it's perfect for dinner.
Milk. You can use whole milk, low fat milk, almond milk, coconut milk or any other milk of choice. Even water or coffee creamer can work well in a pinch. Unsweetened almond milk is our favorite.
Sweetener. Non refined sweetener options include honey and maple syrup but you can also choose to use agave or a low-carb liquid sugar substitute.
Yogurt. You can use any plain or flavored yogurt of choice. Our go-to is Greek Yogurt because it has more protein than regular yogurt, but regular yogurts can be used too. We really enjoy Honey flavored Greek yogurt (it's our favorite). You can also omit the yogurt and just add in another ¼ cup of milk.
🔪 Instructions for Birthday Cake Overnight Oats
Step 1: In a bowl, whisk together milk, yogurt, vanilla extract, almond extract, and maple syrup until mixed.
Step 2: Whisk in chia seeds and salt if using.
Step 3: Add in the oats.
Step 4: Stir together until combined.
Step 5: Add in the rainbow sprinkles.
Step 6: Stir together until well mixed.
Step 7: Divide the mixture into 2 8-ounce containers with fitted lids.
Step 8: Let rest for 6 or more hours (overnight is best but you can do up to 5 days if meal prepping).
Step 9: In the morning, adjust the consistency by adding in more milk until thinned to your liking, or enjoy it thick as-is. Top with any toppings of choice and enjoy!
🍴 Recipe Tips
Adding chia seeds is optional but can be a great way to get additional benefits from your meal.
Chia seeds will absorb some of the liquid in the oats so in the morning they will be pretty thick. You can thin down your oats to your desired consistency by stirring in additional milk.
⏲️ Make Ahead Instructions
You can eat your oats right after they've been mixed together but the oats will be chewy. Letting them sit for at least 4 to 6 hours is ideal for a better texture and consistency as it will take several hours for the oats to absorb the liquid in the oats.
Your overnight oats are good for 5 days in the fridge so if desired, you can meal prep for the week on Sunday and not have to worry about breakfast again until Saturday.
💭 Recipe FAQs
Yes, they can be included as a part of your diet. With low calories, high protein, calcium, and fiber content, overnight oats can be filling and perfect for curbing cravings and staying fuller longer.
They are meant to be enjoyed cold, but you don't have to eat them that way. You can easily warm up your oats in the microwave for a warm oatmeal breakfast.
Overnight oats are made with uncooked oats, so the oats actually retain more nutrition.
❤️ More Delicious Breakfast Recipes
If you tried this birthday cake overnight oats, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and share your feedback in the 📝 comments section below. I would truly appreciate it!
Birthday Cake Overnight Oats
- 1 ½ cup Old fashioned rolled oats ($0.18)
- ½ cup Milk ($0.10)
- 1 cup Greek yogurt ($0.60)
- 2-4 Tablespoons Maple syrup or honey ($0.08)
- 1 teaspoon Chia seeds *optional ($0.03)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract ($0.03)
- ¼ teaspoon Almond extract ($0.08)
- ¼ teaspoon Salt ($0.01)
- 2-3 Tablespoons Rainbow Sprinkles ($0.16)
- In a bowl, whisk together milk, yogurt, vanilla extract, almond extract, and maple syrup until mixed.
- Whisk in chia seeds and salt if using.
- Add in the oats.
- Stir together until combined.
- Add in the rainbow sprinkles.
- Stir together until well mixed.
- Divide the mixture into 2 8-ounce containers with fitted lids.
- Let rest for 6 or more hours (overnight is best but you can do up to 5 days if meal prepping).
- In the morning, adjust the consistency by adding in more milk until thinned to your liking, or enjoy it thick as-is. Top with any toppings of choice and enjoy!
- Substitute oats with old fashioned, steel cut, or quick cook steel cut oats for minimal texture difference.
- Milk options include whole, low fat, almond, coconut, or any preferred milk; water or coffee creamer can be used. Our favorite is unsweetened almond milk.
- Non-refined sweeteners like honey, maple syrup, agave, or low-carb liquid sugar substitute are suitable.
- Choose plain or flavored yogurt; Greek Yogurt adds more protein, but regular yogurt works too. Honey flavored Greek yogurt is our favorite. Optionally, omit yogurt and add an extra ¼ cup of milk.
- Add chia seeds for extra benefits; they absorb liquid, thickening the oats.
- Adjust consistency by stirring in more milk.
- Refrigerate overnight oats for up to 5 days, allowing for weekly meal prep on Sundays.
- For improved texture, let oats sit for 4 to 6 hours after mixing; eating immediately results in chewier oats.