Peppermint shortbread cookies are a refreshing tasting buttery shortbread cookie with crushed peppermint candies in every bite. Dipped in white chocolate and sprinkled with more candy cane bits, these are perfect holiday cookies.
Candy Cane Shortbread Cookies
Shortbread cookies have a special place in my heart because of how simple and easy they are to make. No eggs, no leavenging agents, just a few basic ingredients and you’re done.
Of course, there is a wait time for the dough to chill, but it’s worth it because it makes the dough firm and helps to enhance the peppermint flavor. Yum!
Peppermint shortbread ingredients
- Powdered sugar
- All-Purpose Flour
- Crushed Peppermint Candies
- White Chocolate Chips
What you’ll need to make this recipe
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
Tips for making white chocolate peppermint shortbread cookies
Adding crushed peppermint candies into the batter gives every bite a chewy little burst of peppermint flavor. For less chew and more flavor. Grind the peppermint up in a blender or food processor.
You can make the dough and chill it in the fridge up to 3 days in advance.
FAQ’s about peppermint shortbread
Chilling the dough is a good way to firm up the soft butter. A soft dough will spread during baking, but chilled shortbread will better retain shape.
While shortbread cookies can be frozen, peppermint shortbread shouldn’t. The peppermint candies will become gooey and chewy and messy as they thaw.
Store your cooled and set peppermint shortbread cookies in an aritight contianer at room temperature for up to 5 days. For best results, eat sooner rather than later so that the peppermint candies don’t get too stale.
How to make peppermint shortbread cookies
Cream together the butter and sugar until smooth in a large mixing bowl.
Add in the vanilla extract and mix well.
Add in the flour and the crushed peppermint candies and mix again.
Press the dough into a small rectangle on parchment paper and cover well.
Place in fridge and chill for at least 1 hour.
Remove the dough from the fridge and let sit for about 10 minutes.
On a floured surface, roll out the dough until it’s 1/4 inch thick. It should be about 11×11 inch square.
Slice into rectangles and arrange on the baking sheet leaving space between each.
Bake for 15 minutes and then allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
Melt your chocolate in a small bowl in the microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring between each until smooth.
Dip half of the cookies into the white chocolate and then sprinkle with additional crushed peppermint if desired.
Let set before eating.
More great holiday recipes to try
- Hot Chocolate Pancakes
- White Chocolate Peppermint Popcorn
- Easy Christmas Pretzels
- Cranberry White Chocolate Cheesecake
- Christmas Tree Pretzels
- Cranberry Eggnog Streusel Muffins
Peppermint Shortbread Cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened (two sticks)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cups crushed peppermint candies
- 4 oz white chocolate chips (about 1 cup)
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth.
- Add in the vanilla extract and mix well.
- Add in the flour and the crushed peppermint and mix again.
- Press the dough into a small rectangle (about 5.5"x8.5") on parchment paper and cover well.
- Place in fridge and chill for at least one hour.
- Remove from fridge and let sit for about 10 minutes to soften slightly.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough until it's about 1/4 inch thick (roughly 11×11 square)
- Slice into rectangles of desired size. Arrange on baking sheet leaving a decent sized gap between the cookies.
- Bake for 15 minutes and place onto wire rack to cool completely.
- Melt your chocolate in a bowl in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring well between each until smooth.
- Dip half of each cookie into the white chocolate and place back onto a piece of parchment paper to cool and set.
- Sprinkle some additional crushed peppermint over the top of the chocolate if desired.