These vegan hamburger buns are super easy to make and require only 6 ingredients and a few minutes of active work to make. The end results are fluffy golden topped buns that are perfect for any BBQ.
Easy vegan burger buns
Whether you’re vegan or simply looking for a dairy-free hamburger bun (or egg-free burger buns) recipe then this one is for you. It’s simple and basic but that’s just part of the added charm. Made with minimal ingredients and effort the end results could not be any better.
They’re soft, fluffy, and golden delicious. Just looking at them will ave you wanting to take a bite but putting them together with your meat or filling of choice is what really seals the deal.
You haven’t had a burger until you’ve tried it with homemade buns. The chewy soft yeast bread smells and tastes so incredible that you might eat a few burgers in one sitting before you realize what you’ve done. I won’t judge, because I’ve done the exact same.
Vegan burger buns ingredients
- Warm water
- Flour: Bread flour or all-purpose
- Granulated sugar
- Cooking oil
What you’ll need to make this recipe
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
Tips for making the BEST vegan hamburger buns
If you make your dough and divide it out using a kitchen scale the end measurements will most likely be about 3.10 ounces per bun. That’s what mine was. Yous measurements may vary slightly based on how much flour you added to your dough though so keep that in mind.
When kneading the dough make sure to continue kneading until it has reached a nice elastic texture. You should be able to poke the dough with a finger and watch as the dough quickly fills in the indent and springs back to its original shape.
The actual amount of flour used will vary greatly based on a lot of different factors including where you live, the temperature inside your home, and humidity. You will be kneading extra flour into the dough as you go to get it to no longer be sticky. This should be about 1 cup of flour.
Your vegan buns will come out of the oven hard to the touch and sound hollow when tapped. As they cool down the shell will soften and if you wait a few hours you may even see wrinkles appearing in the crust. This is a great indicator that the bread retained moisture and will taste incredible.
FAQ’s about vegan buns
Some store-bought burger buns will contain dairy and if sold in the US it will be labeled in the ingredients stating that it contains dairy because it is a major allergen. This homemade vegan burger buns recipe does not contain any dairy or eggs or have ingredients that are likely to contain them either.
You can brush your burger buns with olive oil or a vegan eggwash and sprinkle sesame seeds on top before baking. If using olive oil, be warned that the sesame seeds don’t stick well and can rub off so don’t handle them too much after baking.
How to make vegan hamburger buns
In a bowl whisk together the flour, yeast, and salt.
Make a well in the center and add to it the sugar, oil, and water.
Stir to combine.
Knead the dough on a floured surface for about 10 minutes until smooth and elastic. Feed it more flour as needed to get it no longer sticky.
Place in a bowl and cover. Let rise until doubled, about 1 hour in a warm place.
Punch down the dough and divide it into 8 equal-sized pieces. Roll into balls and place on a greased baking sheet.
Cover the buns loosely with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Brush the tops of the burger buns with olive oil and sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired.
Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown on top.
More great vegan recipes to try
- Vegan Slider Buns
- Vegan Apple Upside Down Cake
- Spiced Vegan Apple Bundt Cake
- Vegan Dinner Rolls
- Rich and Chocolatey Vegan Mug Brownie
- Easy One Bowl Vegan Banana Bread with Applesauce
Vegan Hamburger Buns
- 2 1/2 cups flour all-purpose or bread
- 2 1/4 tsp yeast (one packet)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup water
- 3 tbsp vegetable or olive oil
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- In a bowl whisk together the flour, yeast, and salt.
- Make a well in the center and add to it the sugar, oil, and water.
- Stir to combine.
- Knead the dough on floured surface for about 10 minutes until smooth and elastic. Feed it more flour as needed to get it no longer sticky.
- Place in a bowl and cover. Let rise until doubled, about 1 hour in a warm place.
- Punch down the dough and divide into 8 equal sized pieces. Roll into balls and place on a greased baking sheet.
- Cover the buns loosely with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Brush the tops of the burger buns with olive oil and sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired.
- Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown on top.
Bread machine option
- Place ingredients in order of owner manual for your specific bread machine.
- Turn the machine to "dough cycle" and close the lid. Waiting for the beep.
- Once the dough has risen continue the steps above starting with the step for dividing the dough into buns.