A simple and delicious peanut butter cream cheese frosting can really make your chocolate cakes and brownies complete. With just a few ingredients and a few minutes of work, you can have a perfect homemade buttercream for practically anything.
This is the BEST peanut butter cream cheese frosting. It's so creamy and perfect that it elevates any dessert to new heights of deliciousness.
This frosting has a smooth, velvety texture that spreads easily and is a delightful balance of sweet and savory, making it ideal for those who appreciate the combination of salty and sweet flavors.
The peanut butter flavor goes great with chocolate, but it tastes just as nice with vanilla cakes (or just eating from the bowl with a spoon!). I love serving up this peanut butter cream cheese frosting recipe on chocolate cupcakes and brownies.
🍯 Why This Recipe Works
- Simple ingredients. We don't need much to make this recipe, and the ingredients that are needed are very simple and basic too. You may have some in your home already.
- Perfect for any occasion. Serve up some of this frosting over a weekend dessert or at the next birthday party or holiday event. It'll be a nice change of pace from the regular vanilla and chocolate buttercreams.
- It's frugal. Making your own frosting from scratch is a pretty great way to cut costs and get more for your buck.
Peanut butter- Add in your favorite creamy peanut butter for added flavor. I don't recommend using fancy peanut butter here as they'll have a higher oil content. Peanut butter like Skippy and Jiff works just fine.
Heavy cream- Uses heavy cream to get the frosting to the right consistency and add a nice richness as well.
Powdered sugar- The base of this frosting recipe is powdered sugar which makes it smooth and sweet.
For specific ingredients and measurements, please see the recipe card below.
🔪 Instructions for Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Frosting
Step 1: In a large mixing bowl, cream together the peanut butter, cream cheese, and butter.
Step 2: Add in the vanilla and heavy cream.
Step 3: Beat the mixture until fluffy.
Step 4: Slowly add in the powdered sugar while mixing. Add it in at ½ cup at a time until the desired consistency has been reached.
Use as desired.
🍴 Recipe Tips
Making this easy peanut butter cream cheese buttercream is easy and fast. While I do recommend the heavy cream for a slightly more "whipped" result, milk or even half and half works fine too.
Add in as much powdered sugar as you need to help get the PB frosting to the texture you want. For the pipeable frosting 4 cups is pretty sufficient but a lot of factors can play into the end result such as how soft the butter and cream cheese is, and how "wet" the peanut butter, is, etc.
So add in the powdered sugar slowly, about ½ cup at a time, to ensure that you don't put too much in. If you do accidentally add in too much, just add a small teaspoon or two of milk or cream and mix again.
💭 Recipe FAQs
Yes, due to the dairy content, this peanut butter and cream cheese frosting should be kept covered and stored in the fridge for up to 3-5 days. This will help to prevent foodborne illness and allow you to enjoy your delicious treats safely (and for longer).
The easiest way to do it is to simply stick the frosting in the fridge for about 15-30 minutes. As the butter and cream cheese hardens from the cold the frosting will naturally thicken up without needing to add in more sugar.
Peanut butter cream cheese frosting can be gluten-free if you ensure that all the ingredients used, including the peanut butter and any additives, are gluten-free.
❤️ More Delicious Cake Recipes
If you tried this Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Frosting, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and share your feedback in the 📝 comments section below. I would truly appreciate it!
Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 ounces Cream cheese, softened ($0.93)
- ½ cup Creamy peanut butter ($0.40)
- 2 Tablespoons Unsalted butter, softened ($0.25)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract ($0.03)
- 2 Tablespoons Heavy cream or milk ($0.24)
- 3-4 cups Powdered sugar ($1.26)
- Cream together the peanut butter, cream cheese, and butter.
- Add in the vanilla and heavy cream. Beat until fluffy.
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar, about ½ cup at a time until desired consistency is reached.