This banana pound cake is moist, rich, dense, and packed with delicious ripe banana flavor. Topped with a simple brown sugar glaze and walnuts, every bite is as incredible as the last.
Banana bundt cake
We love banana bread and cakes around here and making this banana pound cake has been a great way to use up ripe bananas without making the typical banana bread recipes you’d expect.
We have a lot of banana recipes on here and as much as I love banana bread, they do get tiring after a while. So to switch things up I made a banana bread pound cake and I must say this is probably my most favorite ripe banana recipe that I’ve ever made.
It’s rich, buttery in texture and so moist that even days later it still tastes fresh and incredible.
My daughter says it’s her new favorite dessert and she wants it for her birthday (which is still several months away haha).
Together she and I have finished off most of this bundt cake to ourselves but can you blame us? It’s soooo good!
Banana cake ingredients
Banana Pound Cake
- Granulated sugar
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Sour cream
Banana cake glaze
- Brown sugar
- Powdered sugar
- Walnuts *Optional
What you’ll need to make this recipe
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
Tips for making banana bread pound cake
This banana pound cake recipe is easy to make but does require a lot of little steps such as beating the eggs one at a time. This is to help get the air into the cake and fluff it up for the perfect texture as it bakes.
If desired you can add chopped walnuts into the batter. I wouldn’t do more than 1/3 cup of nuts though as this will already have your bundt pan pretty full.
As you pour the batter into the cake pan you’ll notice that the atter almost reaches the top. Thanks to the lower cooking temp we don’t have to worry about the cake rising up and overflowing.
FAQ’s about banana bread bundt cake
If you’d like to swap out the sour cream you can use plain unflavored Greek yogurt or even Chobani banana flavored yogurt for a stronger banana flavor.
This cake is good for up to a week if covered properly and stored at room temperature. Of course, if you like it as much as we do it’s unlikely to survive the weekend.
Yes, this cake will freeze very well if left unglazed before freezing. Simply let the cake cool completely and then wrap well in plastic wrap and store in a container (if you have one large enough). Then thaw before glazing and serving. Can be frozen for up to 2 months.
How to make banana pound cake
Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour a bundt pan. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar.
Add in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Add in the mashed bananas and the vanilla. Stir again.
In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
Add half of the sour cream into the batter and mix.
Add in half of the flour mixture and mix again.
Stir in the last of the sour cream, and then mix in the last of the flour mixture, stirring until combined.
Pour the mixture into your prepared bundt pan and bake for 75 minutes-85 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean.
Let cake cool 10 minutes in the pan before flipping onto a wire rack and cooling completely.
Once cooled, top with glaze.
How to make banana cake glaze
In a small saucepan, melt your butter, brown sugar, and milk until the sugar is dissolved. This should take about 3-5 minutes.
Remove from the heat and let the mixture sit for 5 minutes to cool.
Whisk in the vanilla.
Quickly pour over the cake as it will set fast. Top with chopped walnuts if desired.
More great recipes to try
- Cream Cheese Bacon Pasta Bake
- Honey Lime Baked Mahi Mahi
- Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Frosting
- Crispy Fried Tuna Patties
- Stove Top Beef Stew
- Cheesy Bean and Rice Burritos
Banana Pound Cake with Brown Sugar Glaze
Banana Pound Cake
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cup banana, mashed (about 4)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup sour cream
Brown Sugar Glaze
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- walnuts for garnish optional
How to make banana pound cake
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour bundt pan. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl until fluffy and light.
- Add in the eggs 1 at time, beating after each.
- Stir in the mashed bananas and vanilla.
- In another bowl, combine dry ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients to the bowl of wet alternatingly with sour cream.
- Pour the batter into the prepared bundt pan.
- Bake for 75-85 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean.
- Let cake cool in pan for 10 minutes before flipping onto a wire cooling rack to finish cooling completely.
How to make brown sugar glaze
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and add in the brown sugar and milk. Stir until the brown sugar is dissolved (about 3-5 minutes).
- Remove the pot from the heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Whisk in the vanilla.
- Pour the mixture into a mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Pour over the cake quickly as it will set fast and top with walnuts if desired.
- Allow about 10-15 minutes to set before slicing and serving.