Italian green beans are a flavorful and delicious side dish that tastes like summer. Serve it up with a side of your favorite pasta or fish, it goes great with just about anything.
Roasted green beans and tomatoes
We eat vegetables daily so I'm always trying to find new ways to get the kids to like them. These sun-dried tomato green beans are flavorful and perfect for any Italian themed dinner or summer night.
We enjoy them cooked fresh and vibrantly so they're still crunchy, but even if you forget them in the oven and cook them a little longer they still turn out fabulous when softer.
My favorite part of this side dish is that it's all made in one bowl. Just toss together, throw on a baking sheet and cook for several minutes while salivating as the aroma fills the room.
Italian green beans ingredients
- Sun dried tomatoes
- White wine vinegar
- Olive oil
- Green beans
- Black pepper
What you’ll need to make this recipe
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
Tips for making baked green beans and tomatoes
You can use dried or marinated sun-dried tomatoes for this recipe. I've tried it with both and there's no difference. You are also welcome to add even more tomatoes if you truly enjoy the flavor profile but just this small amount is enough to give a great essence throughout the dish.
You can also choose between pearl onions or thinly sliced regular onions. With regular onions you won't even need half a small one, Just a few small slices (like 3 or 4) is plenty.
FAQ's about Italian green beans
You can keep this side dish's leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for about 3-5 days. For best results, I recommend eating it within 3 days.
Yes, you can prepare the entire dish beforehand and simply keep it in a covered bowl or Ziploc bag until ready to eat. This gives the flavor longer to develop as well. I recommend not making it more than a day in advance.
Wash your green beans and trim off the ends on both sides to remove the wooden-like stems. These won't soften while coking and are unpleasant to bite down on. Rinse again if desired and pat dry the greens before using to avoid adding too much moisture into the recipe.
How to make Italian green beans with tomatoes
In a large mixing bowl, combine the tomatoes, vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, and onions.
Toss in the green beans until well coated.
Lay the coated green beans and mix in an even layer on your baking sheet.
Bake in the oven for 15-25 minutes, depending on how crisp or soft you would like them.
More great side dish recipes to try
- Jiffy Jalapeno Cornbread
- How to Roast Frozen Green Beans
- Roasted Frozen Cauliflower
- Microwave Yellow Squash
- Garlic Roasted Brussel Sprouts
- Southern Deviled Eggs
- Easy Oven Roasted Broccolini
Italian Green Beans with Tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon Sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon White wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoon Olive oil
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black pepper
- 2 teaspoon Garlic, minced
- 4 Pearl onions, peeled and sliced or small amount of thinly sliced onion
- 1 ½ lbs Green beans
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- Combine the tomatoes, vinegar, olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, and onions in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the green beans and toss together until well coated.
- Spread the green beans and mixture into an even layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-25 minutes. 15 minutes will have them more crisp whereas 25 will be softer.
- Serve warm with your meal.