Italian green beans are a flavorful and delicious side dish that tastes like summer. Serve it up with a side of your favorite pasta or fish, it goes great with anything.
We eat vegetables daily so I'm always trying to find new ways to get the kids to like them. These sun-dried tomato green beans are flavorful and perfect for any Italian themed dinner or summer night.
We enjoy them cooked fresh and vibrantly so they're still crunchy, but even if you forget them in the oven and cook them a little longer they still turn out fabulous when softer.
Why This Recipe Works
- It's convenient prep work. My favorite part of this roasted green beans and tomatoes side dish is that it's all made in one bowl. Just toss together, throw on a baking sheet and cook for several minutes while salivating as the aroma fills the room.
- Great for Italian dinners. The nice flavor of these green beans would pair well with most simple pasta recipes or Italian-themed dinners.
- It has pretty simple ingredients. While not every ingredient used is considered a pantry staple, the majority of them are so there's a good chance you won't need to buy much to make this recipe happen.
Sun-dried tomatoes- You can use dried sundried tomatoes or the kind that comes in oil. I have tried this recipe both ways, and both versions are pretty delicious.
White wine vinegar- This adds a nice tangy flavor to the recipe that works wonderfully with the tomatoes.
Olive oil- To help the seasonings and flavor coat the green beans, we need some olive oil.
Green beans- Use fresh green beans that have been washed, trimmed, and prepped.
Salt and Pepper- These are our basic seasonings and can be adjusted to taste.
Garlic- For added flavor.
Onion- Adding in onion will give us a deeper flavor profile and a wonderful aroma.
For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
🍽 Equipment Needed
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
Check out how to make Italian green beans with tomatoes with these simple step-by-step instructions:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the tomatoes, vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, and onions.
Toss in the green beans until well coated.
Lay the coated green beans and mix in an even layer on your baking sheet.
Bake in the oven for 15-25 minutes, depending on how crisp or soft you would like them.
🍴 Recipe Tips
You can use dried or marinated sun-dried tomatoes for this baked green beans and tomatoes recipe. I've tried it with both and there's no difference. You are also welcome to add even more tomatoes if you truly enjoy the flavor profile but just this small amount is enough to give a great essence throughout the dish.
You can also choose between pearl onions or thinly sliced regular onions. With regular onions you won't even need half a small one. Just a few small slices (like 3 or 4) is plenty.
You can keep this side dish's leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for about 3-5 days. For best results, I recommend eating it within 3 days.
Yes, you can prepare the entire dish beforehand and simply keep it in a covered bowl or Ziploc bag until ready to eat. This gives the flavor longer to develop as well. I recommend not making it more than a day in advance.
Wash your green beans and trim off the ends on both sides to remove the wooden-like stems. These won't soften while coking and are unpleasant to bite down on. Rinse again if desired and pat dry the greens before using to avoid adding too much moisture into the recipe.
More great side dish recipes to try
- Jiffy Jalapeno Cornbread
- How to Roast Frozen Green Beans
- Roasted Frozen Cauliflower
- Southern Deviled Eggs
Italian Green Beans with Tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons Sun dried tomatoes, chopped ($0.21)
- 1 Tablespoon White wine vinegar ($0.04)
- 3 Tablespoons Olive oil ($0.36)
- ½ teaspoon Salt ($0.05)
- ¼ teaspoon Black pepper ($0.02)
- 2 teaspoons Garlic, minced ($0.10)
- 4 Pearl onions, peeled and sliced ($0.30)
- 1 ½ pounds Green beans ($3.70)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the tomatoes, vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, and onions.
- Toss in the green beans until well coated.
- Lay the coated green beans and mix in an even layer on your baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 15-25 minutes, depending on how crisp or soft you would like them.
- Serve warm.