With a simple chicken leg quarter recipe on hand, you’ll have dinner with no hassle at all. Juicy and flavorful dark meat chicken isn’t too far away.
Instant Pot chicken leg quarters
We enjoy eating chicken quarters often around here because they’re such a cheap cut of meat. I like thighs, the kids like drumsticks and hubby eats anything handed to him on a plate, so it’s always a hit around here.
For these chicken quarters, I took my seasoning rub from my beer butt chicken recipe and rubbed it into the quarters so that they’d be flavorful and awesome.
You’re going to love this basic recipe and how simple (and fast) the hands-on parts are!
Ingredients for chicken leg quarters in Instant Pot
- Chicken leg quarters
- Ground black pepper
- Italian seasoning
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Water (for cooking)
What you’ll need to make this recipe
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
Tips for making Instant Pot chicken quarter recipe
To make these chicken quarters, you will need to stand the chicken p on the trivet like books on a shelf. standing them upright like this allows them to fit into the pot. You may need to trim a little fat or skin here and there to help them fit more easily.
You can use water, broth, or even beer for more flavorfully cooked chicken. Just make sure that there is at least 1-1.5 cups of liquid in the pot to help the chicken cook properly.
After the chicken has been cooked, you can take an optional step of broiling the quarters in the oven to help crisp up the skin to a nice golden brown. Recommended, but not required.
Make sure chicken reaches at least 160 degrees F before and eating and if it hasn’t you can place it in the oven for a few minutes at 350 degrees F to help get it to the safe-to-eat-zone. (Baking it would be faster than cooking it in the Instant Pot again and allows you to periodically check on the internal temperature.)
FAQ’s about chicken leg quarters
Chicken quarters (or chicken leg quarters as some call it) are the dark meat of a chicken, from the hip bone down. It includes the thigh and drumstick of a chicken in a solid piece that can be later separated or cooked whole as desired by the consumer.
For frozen chicken quarters, just make sure that they aren’t frozen too much. You want them to be able to be stacked without being one clump of solid ice. As long as they’re partially frozen and can be fitted into the Instant Pot, you can cook them on High Pressure for 25 minutes with a Quick Pressure Release.
Cheaper cuts of meat are almost always meats that had the least amount of work involved. Unlike boneless, skinless chicken breasts, a leg quarter doesn’t require nearly as much work to cut off the whole. Therefore the cost is lower as there is less expense involved in the prep.
How to make Instant Pot chicken quarters
Blend together the spices for the chicken rub in a small bowl and set aside.
Pour one cup of water into the bottom of the Instant Pot and place in the trivet.
Rub the chicken with the seasoning mixture on both the fronts and backs of the quarters as best as you can.
Stack the seasoned chicken quarters upright like books on a shelf on the trivet. I like to alternate which sides the drumsticks are on.
Set to High Pressure for 20 minutes for thawed chicken or 25 minutes for frozen.
Naturally Release the Pressure for 8 minutes after the timer beeps, and then release the rest manually.
Optional Step- Set your oven to High Broil and place chicken on a baking sheet.
Broil on high for 3-5 minutes to help crisp up the skin.
Check internal temperature and make sure chicken is a safe 160 degrees F before eating. If not, bake at 350 degrees F until temp has been reached.
Serve warm with side dishes.
More great recipes to try
- Instant Pot Hot Dogs
- Peanut Butter Marshmallow Cookies
- Instant Pot Tater Tot Casserole
- Instant Pot Apple Pie Filling
- Bakery Style Strawberry Muffins
- Instant Pot Chicken Spaghetti
Instant Pot Chicken Quarters
- Instant Pot
- 4 chicken leg quarters
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 cup water, for cooking
- In a small bowl, blend together the spices for the chicken rub. Set aside.
- Pour one cup of water into the bottom of your Instant Pot. Add in the trivet.
- Rub your chicken leg quarters with the spice rub.
- Stack your chicken quarters up like a bookshelf, side by side on the trivet. I like to alternte my legs so that they aren't all on one side.
- Close the lid and seal the vent.
- Set to High Pressure for 20 minutes. 25 minutes if the chicken quarters are still partially frozen.
- Naturally Release the Pressure for 8 minutes after the timer beeps. Then release the rest manually.
- Set the oven to High Broil and lay your chicken quarters on a baking sheet, skin side up. Broil for 3-5 minutes until skin is crisped to desired doneness.
- Check internal temperature of chicken. Make sure it reaches a minimum of 160 Degrees F. If not, place in the oven at 350 Degrees F until it comes up to temperature before eating.
- Serve warm with your favorite side dishes.