Making homemade tortilla chips is even easier than you think with this healthy air fryer tortilla chips recipe! Made in minutes and perfectly crispy, the only thing missing is some salsa and guacamole.
Homemade tortilla chips just hit differently. They're warm, crispy, and perfectly satisfying with every crunch. We love to whip up a batch as a late-night snack whenever we get the chance.
While I do enjoy Air Fryer Cinnamon Sugar Tortilla Chips, these salted ones are perfect for savory moments. Serve them up with some homemade Tomato Jalapeno Salsa or (Guacamole Without Cilantro) for a simple snack.
🍯 Why This Recipe Works
- It's quick and easy to make. With just a few basic steps and a couple of minutes on the clock, you can have homemade tortilla chips in no time.
- Perfect for leftover tortillas. Find yourself with an odd number of tortillas after taco night? Turn them into chips! You can use low carb tortillas, flour tortillas, or even corn tortillas. If you still have some leftover, make some Tortilla French Toast or Air Fryer Tortilla Pizza.
- They're customizable. You can add as much or as little salt as you want (even no salt). You can even get creative with different seasonings!
Corn tortillas- We like to use corn tortillas that are about 6 inches in diameter for this recipe. Other tortillas will work just fine.
Olive oil- For an oil that helps the chips to crisp and helps to adhere the salt to the chips, you'll want to use olive oil.
Salt- We like to use pink Himalayan salt or sea salt. Use whatever you have on hand, though.
For specific ingredients and measurements, please see the recipe card below.
Tortillas. I have heard that many people enjoy this recipe using flour tortillas instead of corn tortillas. If you'd like to try them with flour tortillas, feel free to do so. Nothing in the recipe steps will change as a result of this swap.
🔪 Instructions for Healthy Air Fryer Tortilla Chips
Step 1: Brush both sides of a corn tortilla with some olive oil. Repeat for all tortillas.
Step 2: Slice the tortilla into triangle wedges. Repeat for all tortillas.
Step 3: Add to your air fryer in an even layer in the basket.
Step 4: Air Fry for 3-4 minutes. Add in a few sprinkles of sea salt and then shake the basket to coat them all well.
Step 5: Cook for another 3-4 minutes or until the chips are no longer wet looking.
Step 6: After the chips are finished, remove them and place them into a serving dish. Be careful, as the chips will be hot.
Serve with your favorite salsa, guacamole, and more. Enjoy!
🍴 Recipe Tips
To use even less oil per tortilla what I like to do is stack them as I am brushing the oil on them. So the first one I'll brush oil on the front and back, then I'll add a tortilla on top and only brush the top of that. And then repeat for the remaining tortillas.
This will have the bottom tortillas provide oil to the ones on top, keeping them both greased but without making either "too greasy."
I also add salt in the middle or at the end of the cooking process because adding it right after oiling the tortillas can create a bigger mess or lead to possibly oversalting the chips.
This recipe makes a lot of chips, but the amount can be reduced by half if desired for a smaller amount. I don't recommend doubling the recipe or increasing the quantity as that will overload the air fryer and cause the chips to turn out undercooked in some areas.
If your chips are still a bit chewy after being cooked, that simply means that they need a little longer to cook. Add a minute or two to the air fryer and check on them midway. Sometimes they only need as much as 20 seconds to fully crisp up!
🥗 Side Dishes
You can never go wrong with a big batch of guacamole or salsa! I love to serve these chips as-is, with dip, or turn them into some simple microwave nachos.
You can keep leftover chips stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days, but for the best results, I'd recommend eating them within 2 or 3 days.
📖 Oven Baked Tortilla Chips
If you’d like to bake the chips – follow the same prep instructions, lay the chips onto a foil lined baking sheet in a single layer, and bake for 7 minutes at 350F. Remove the pan, flip, spray, salt (if desired), and bake for another 5 minutes or until crisp.
💭 Recipe FAQs
If you think your chips are chewy, return them to the air fryer for an additional minute of cooking time and check again. Oftentimes, when the chip is chewy, it means that it wasn't finished cooking.
If you want to liven up your tortilla chips and make them fresh again (this is great for leftovers), place the chips into the air fryer basket and cook for 1-2 minutes at 350 degrees F.
While the appearance and taste won't be exactly the same, you can make these chips without any oils at all. Just simply cut the tortillas and fry them up!
❤️ More Delicious Snack Recipes
If you tried these healthy air fryer tortilla chips, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and share your feedback in the 📝 comments section below. I would truly appreciate it!
Healthy Air Fryer Tortilla Chips
- 4 Corn tortillas (6 inch) ($0.30)
- 4 Tablespoons Olive oil ($0.56)
- ½ teaspoon Sea salt ($0.04)
- Brush both sides of a corn tortilla with some olive oil. Repeat for all tortillas.
- Slice the tortilla into triangle wedges. Repeat for all tortillas.
- Add to your air fryer in an even layer in the basket.
- Air Fry for 3-4 minutes. Add in a few sprinkles of sea salt and then shake the basket to coat them all well.
- Cook for another 3-4 minutes or until the chips are no longer wet looking.
- After the chips are finished, remove them and place them into a serving dish. Be careful, as the chips will be hot.
- Serve with your favorite salsa, guacamole, and more. Enjoy!
- Corn tortillas can be used instead of flour tortillas in this recipe without changing the steps.
- To use less oil per tortilla, stack them and brush oil on the front and back of each tortilla, then add more tortillas and only brush the top one.
- Add salt in the middle or at the end to avoid oversalting the chips.
- This recipe makes a large quantity of chips, but you can reduce it by half for a smaller batch. Doubling the recipe may overload the air fryer.
- If the chips are still slightly chewy after cooking, add a minute or two to the air fryer and check them midway.
- Leftover chips can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. For the best results, consume them within 2 or 3 days.
- To bake the chips, follow the same prep instructions, place them on a foil-lined baking sheet in a single layer, and bake for 7 minutes at 350°F. Flip, spray, salt (if desired), and bake for another 5 minutes or until crisp.