Using pancake mix to make crepes cuts down on prep time and still delivers tasty results. With this vanilla custard and fresh strawberry combination filling every crepe, breakfast is sure to be a huge hit at your house!
Don't let this non-traditional recipe stop you from enjoying a fabulous breakfast. While pancake mix has ingredients not often found in crepes, the tasty goodness and fluffy crepe make minor details like that seem unimportant.
You're going to love this super easy recipe for pancake mix crepes and vanilla custard filling. While you could add any filling to the inside of a crepe, this custard is great and perfect for fresh berries.
Not only do I have a delicious crepe recipe with pancake mix, but there's a tasty filling too! This vanilla custard isn't too sweet and has just the right amount of savory to go well with the fluffy crepes and tart fresh berries (like a warm vanilla pudding).
Crepes using pancake mix is very versatile so feel free to use your own filling (both sweet or savory) would work well!
Pancake mix: You can use any pancake mix including but not limited to, Bisquick, Krusteaz, Aunt Jemima, or even Gluten-free pancake mix!
Egg: This helps to hold the batter together and gives it a subtle eggy flavor that crepes are known for.
Vanilla: Adding in a little vanilla helps to enhance the flavors in the crepe.
Milk: You can use milk or water so feel free to choose the liquid you want. Even dairy free or low fat options work well here!
🍽 Equipment Needed
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
🍴 Recipe Tips
These crepes are basically a thinner version of a pancake, (as you could see) but, unlike making pancakes there's a subtle difference going on in the mixing bowl. Making crepes with pancake mix isn't hard, it's just a little different from what you may be used to.
With pancakes, we want a clumpy/lumpy batter. With crepes, we want it smooth.
You can achieve a smoother batter by simply whisking it more than you would normally, or do as I do and sift the pancake mix first. Sifting the pancake mix helps to get rid of large clumps BEFORE you whisk, saving you some arm power.
You should also aim to make sure that the vanilla custard (if you're making it) is made before the crepes so that it has time to cool first.
Absolutely! Feel free to try this recipe with your favorite gluten free pancake mix and see how it goes.
Pancake mix usually contains leavening agents whereas crepes are known for being basics like flour, egg, water, and possibly vanilla.
Yes, you can make this recipe up to 24 hours in advance and keep it stored in an airtight container in the fridge. Just make sure to stir again before using.
Check out how to make crepes with pancake mix with these simple step-by-step instructions:
- Whisk together the pancake mix, vanilla, egg, and milk in a mixing bowl until smooth. Pour into an easy-pour container or use a measuring cup for a scoop.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat and brush with melted butter or spray with nonstick cooking spray. You'll need to do this between EVERY crepe.
- When water sizzles on the pan, it's hot and ready. Scoop ¼ cup measures onto the pan or use a little more if you have a larger pan. Lift and tilt the pan around to have the batter cover the bottom of the pan completely.
- Cook until the crepe looks set around the edges and dry on top. Use a rubber spatula to loosen the edges around the crepe and then flip it over to cook the other side for an additional minute.
- Slide the crepe onto a clean plate and repeat until all crepes have been cooked.
- Fill with custard and fresh berries. Roll or fold into quarters and top with additional berries. Serve.
More great recipes to try
- Valentines Chocolate Chip M&M Cookies
- Easy Red Velvet Funnel Cake
- The Easiest Carrot Muffins
- Instant Pot Cauliflower
- Simple Pear Muffins
- Mango Banana Bread
Simple Crepes (with Pancake Mix)
- 1 cup pancake mix ($0.20)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla ($0.02)
- 1 large egg ($0.08)
- 1 ½ cup milk or water ($0.27)
Vanilla Custard Filling
- 2 cups milk ($0.38)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch ($0.04)
- ⅓ cup sugar ($0.05)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten ($0.16)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla ($0.02)
- 1 cup fresh sliced strawberries ($0.99)
How to Make Pancake Mix Crepes
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the pancake mix, vanilla, egg, and milk until smooth. Pour into a pourable container or use a ¼ cup measuring cup as a scoop.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat and brush with melted butter or spray with nonstick cooking spray. Do this between EVERY crepe.
- When the pan is heated to the point that water sizzles, it's ready. Pour your batter in ¼ cup scoops (or larger if using a bigger pan) and tilt the pan to cover the entire surface with batter.
- Cook until the crepe looks set around the edges and dry. Use a rubber spatula to loosen the edges along the pan. The crepe will bubble as it cooks, this is normal.
- Flip the crepe to the other side. I found the easiest way to be flipping it onto a plate and then back into the pan so the uncooked side was on bottom.
- Cook for one minute longer on this side and then slide off onto a clean plate.
- Grease the pan again and repeat until all crepes have been cooked.
- Fill crepes with custard and fresh strawberries. Fold into quarters or roll and then top with additional sliced strawberries.
How to Make Custard Filling
- Place two eggs in a bowl and slightly beat them. Set aside, but within reach.
- In a medium sized saucepan over medium heat, combine the milk, sugar, and cornstarch. Whisk occasionally to prevent cornstarch from clumping and cook until milk is scalded (small bubbles appear around edges of pan).
- Remove from heat and scoop out about 2 tablespoons of the milk mixture and place it into the bowl with the eggs. Whisk the eggs to combine and then whisk continually while the egg mixture gets added back into the milk mixture.
- Immediately place the saucepan back over the heat and cook (and whisk) until thickened. Don't bring it to a boil, but it will take about 2-3 minutes to thicken nicely.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. set aside until cooled and use as desired.
- If making the vanilla custard, make it BEFORE making the crepes so that it has time to cool down first (avoid burnt tongues). As it cools a thick skin will appear at the top, cover it with plastic wrap to avoid this, or simply whisk it into the custard if you don't mind the lumps.
- You can use any brand of pancake mix for this recipe. Gluten free pancake mix will also work.
- Any milk will work just fine including low-fat and non-dairy milk.
- Unlike with pancakes, we want our batter smooth. Sifting the pancake mix into the bowl makes this MUCH easier.
- For an easier filling, you can just use Vanilla flavored Cook n Serve Pudding.
- You can prepare the crepe batter up to 24 hours in advance and keep it stored in the fridge (well covered). Just stir before using.
- Nutrition information does not include vanilla custard and strawberries.
- To view how this recipe was calculated you can visit my pricing disclosure page for more information.