This salsa chicken and rice bake is a Mexican-inspired recipe perfect for an easy dinner night menu. With this 30 minute meal, you can have a filling dinner ready in no time.
This recipe is a variation of my Easy Salsa Rice side dish. In this version, I turned it into a full meal. I love this 4 ingredient salsa chicken rice casserole so much that it's usually on the menu at least once a month.
With it being so fast and simple I can usually whip it up in no time on a busy night which just makes hectic days end on a great note.
For more easy dinner ideas make sure to check out my Stove Top Beef Stew, Pineapple Teriyaki Yakisoba Noodles, and Sausage, and Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash.
Why This Recipe Works
- You can add to it! I often add in canned corn, black beans, diced tomatoes, or anything else on hand just to stretch it a little further.
- The leftovers can be repurposed. I enjoy taking salsa chicken bake leftovers (assuming there is any) and turning them into a burrito bowl of serving it up in my cheesy bean and rice burritos.
- Perfect for leftover shredded chicken. Have chicken leftovers from the night before or some rotisserie chicken on hand? This recipe is perfect for using it up.
Chunky salsa- You'll need some red salsa to add flavor to this recipe. I love to use chunky red salsa, but you can use smooth salsa if preferred. Also, you can choose which heat level you'd like (I use mild).
Quick Minute Rice- Using fast cooking rice will help us to get dinner on the table much more quickly.
Cheddar cheese- Use pre-shredded cheese or cheese that you shred yourself, and sprinkle it over the top for a nice topping and cheesy goodness.
Chicken- You'll need some already cooked chicken for this recipe, so using leftover chicken works best. Shredded or diced chicken is fine.
- Canned corn
- Black beans
- Green onion
- Diced tomatoes
🍽 Equipment Needed
BeeyondCereal is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
Check out how to make cheesy salsa chicken and rice with these simple step-by-step instructions:
Bring salsa and water to a boil in a medium sized pot.
Stir in quick cooking rice.
Add the lid and remove it from heat.
Let stand 5 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9x13 baking dish.
Spread the salsa rice into the baking dish into an even layer.
Top with cooked chicken.
Sprinkle cheese and additional toppings over the top of the chicken.
Bake for 15 minutes until chicken is cooked through and cheese is melted.
🍴 Recipe Tips
With a simple recipe like this, there aren't too many tricks or tips to share.
The salsa is liquid enough that it helps to provide moisture for the rice despite not being water. For best flavors, I recommend using a salsa you already know and love as not every kind is made the same as another. I usually opt for a chunky style because the added bites of diced tomato are always pleasant.
This recipe is fast, simple, and can be 100% on the stovetop with a large enough pot. Just make the rice as directed, top it with cheese and chicken and then close the lid until the cheese is melted and the chicken is heated through.
I have not tried this salsa chicken recipe with a Verde salsa but I can picture it tasting rather delicious if used. Let me know in the comments if you try it. I'd love to hear about it!
This salsa rice recipe uses white quick minute rice as it needs less liquid and time to cook. Other varieties could be used but they won't end up the same as the cooking time and the liquid ratios would need to be adjusted. Long grain rice will also end up starchy if not properly rinsed.
More great main dish recipes to try
- Instant Pot Beef Back Ribs
- Crispy Fried Tuna Patties
- 20 Minute Lazy Enchiladas
- Crispy Sour Cream and Onion Chicken
Cheesy Salsa Chicken and Rice Bake
- 4 cups White Quick Cook 5 Minute Rice ($1.53)
- 2 cups Water ($0.00)
- 2 cups Chunky salsa ($1.13)
- 1-2 cups Cheddar cheese, shredded ($1.86)
- 1-2 cups Cooked chicken, diced or shredded ($1.44)
Optional toppings suggestions:
- Green onions, chopped
- Black beans
- Tomatoes, diced
- In a medium sized pot, bring 2 cups of water and 2 cups of salsa to a boil.
- Stir in quick cooking rice and place the lid on the pot.
- Remove the pot from the heat and allow it to rest for 5 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- Spread the cooked salsa rice in the baking dish.
- Top the rice with your shredded or diced chicken.
- Sprinkle cheese over the top and any additional toppings if desired.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the chicken is heated through.
- Serve warm.
Leave a Reply